The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-03-2019, 09:52 PM

Default Yamaha build question

I am finally ready to get a better acoustic than my old Fender. There are a few Yamahas I am looking at,
FGX800C, FGX820C, Fgx830C , LL6M ARE
Is the bracing going to be any different in any of these? I am wondering if the differences are mostly cosmetic? The neck on the LL6 being laminated should be very stable. Any info or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antvas1963 View Post
I am finally ready to get a better acoustic than my old Fender. There are a few Yamahas I am looking at,
Is the bracing going to be any different in any of these? I am wondering if the differences are mostly cosmetic? The neck on the LL6 being laminated should be very stable. Any info or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Of those models, go with the LL6M ARE

Just a better all around guitar, especially with the ARE treated top!

If you look around, you can even find, used, an LL16M ARE or LL16R ARE, very close to the LL6 price new, which would be even better, as the LL16 is all solid wood all around, and a little bit warmer rounder more resonant sounding guitar.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 11-04-2019, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post

If you look around, you can even find, used, an LL16M ARE or LL16R ARE, very close to the LL6 price new, which would be even better, as the LL16 is all solid wood all around, and a little bit warmer rounder more resonant sounding guitar.

duff
Before the advent of the 800 series, I would have agreed with you. But since the 800s have come around, I've let go of my LS6, and replaced it with an FS800. The LS was most definitely prettier, but I'm not sure it sounded any better. If you find a 16 used, those are really super nice, but then you are getting into the care and feeding of a solid wood guitar. The FG and FS 800s are screaming deals for $199.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post

duff
Like Duff said!
Old 11-04-2019, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

The LL6 ARE will be loaded with overtones. I had one of the pre-ARE models and it was like having tinnitus... the overtones were just too prominent, mainly while playing chords, which is the guitar's forte. You'd best try one first I think. As for the others, they're all lams, so you won't have any such issues.

As far as I know, all Yams have great build quality - obviously, the L Series is a step up, but the build of even the most budget Yamaha's puts a lot of more expensive guitars to shame.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Slowhand View Post
The LL6 ARE will be loaded with overtones. I had one of the pre-ARE models and it was like having tinnitus... the overtones were just too prominent, mainly while playing chords, which is the guitar's forte. You'd best try one first I think. As for the others, they're all lams, so you won't have any such issues.

As far as I know, all Yams have great build quality - obviously, the L Series is a step up, but the build of even the most budget Yamaha's puts a lot of more expensive guitars to shame.
I thought the LL 6 was laminated as well. Isn’t the 830 a solid top?
Old 11-04-2019, 11:12 PM

The necks on these two series are very different. The L series is thicker and wider than the FG series. The L series has non-scalloped bracing while the FGs are scalloped bracing. I think the FG guitars are more responsive than the less expensive LLs.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:16 PM

My advice would be to find a good Yamaha main dealer and give them all a try . I've owned and played Yamaha guitars since the 70s and really respect and love the brand . I find the L series for me are the most comfortable and rewarding both in sound and playability I like the nut width and the balanced sound , the neck profiles have changed but the new shape for me is perfect . My current favourite is the LLTA but you will find one that suits you just fine good luck with your search
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 11-04-2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antvas1963 View Post
The FG/FS 800 line has scalloped bracing with solid top, laminate back. The LL6 is straight braced, laminate back, and with a treated solid Engelmann top. The LL will have a significantly deeper body than the FG and will have a more overtone rich signature sound. Best to try in person a range of these, as many as you can to see which model and example of, you like best. If Seagull is available in your area, try the S6 with the Cedar top.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
The FG/FS 800 line has scalloped bracing with solid top, laminate back. The LL6 is straight braced, laminate back, and with a treated solid Engelmann top. The LL will have a significantly deeper body than the FG and will have a more overtone rich signature sound. Best to try in person a range of these, as many as you can to see which model and example of, you like best. If Seagull is available in your area, try the S6 with the Cedar top.
Body depth isn't that much different between the FG and L series at 4 5/8 and 4 15/16 respectively.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:34 AM

I have never bonded with their models with cutaways and electronics. Also have a preference for their classic FG body over the L series. The 820 and 830 are a nice step up over the 800 for only a few dollars more. The FG820 is especially nice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion