The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-02-2019, 06:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69MusicART View Post
Hello, I am in my few months of finally learning to play guitar. I planned to do this back in the late 60's, when I was a young teenager but somehow, haven't managed to truly start until now. Granted, it's a very late start, but I'm taking lessons, and pushing every day to learn, and I'm going to learn to play, at least adequately, come hell or high water! Also, early retirement leaves me quite a bit of time to practice and learn. I'm looking for my best options in a good quality used guitar, in excellent condition, up to $750.00 (I'd stretch to $850.00, max, for a great deal). I know that's not a lot of money in the guitar world, but I've been told that it should buy me a good quality used acoustic.

I've talked to a number of longtime, talented and experienced acoustic guitarists about what they would recommend. I've had recommendations to look for the following brands:

Seagull
Loar
Eastman
Takamine
Blueridge
Larrivee - if I find one I can afford
Garrison

I've never heard of Garrison and I understand they went out of business after being bought by Gibson in 2007. They got on the list because a good friend, who owns about ten acoustics, has two Garrisons, a 12 string, and a six string, that sound amazing to me (and him). He is so fond of them that he often plays them instead of a couple Taylors and Martins he owns that cost five or six times what he paid for them.

I've also been advised that it's not worth buying a Taylor or Martin in this price range, (including by some serious Martin and Taylor guys)because they would be extreme, entry level guitars. And I'm not interested in entry level guitars. I'm looking for a quality used guitar to enjoy learning and growing on for a long time.

I realize at my point in learning to play, I don't "need" a guitar of that quality, but again, I'm in the position now to easily afford one, and may not be down the road. And, after all, I'm not getting any younger, this is time sensitive. I might as well appreciate using a quality guitar as long as I am able. I would really appreciate your guidance on the best options, in terms of brands and models, to look for in my price range I and greatly appreciate the help. I'm sure that I will for many years as I continue to learn on whatever quality instrument I purchase. Thanks.

Jim
Jim, you are never too old for starting to learn the guitar. My Mom turned 68 and is learning guitar.

I can give you a couple of NEW guitars to look into with your price range:

Taylor Academy 12
https://www.elderly.com/collections/...-guitar-gigbag

Seagull S6 - this one does not come with a bag or case, but even buying that separate will not blow your budget

https://www.elderly.com/collections/...cedar-original

Martin DJR-10 Burst and comes with a bag https://www.elderly.com/collections/...oustic-version
Old 11-02-2019, 08:35 AM

There's a lot of good advice here - my first suggestion would be to read through all of it twice and follow up with the poster by PM if you didn't understand anything!

I likewise re-entered the world of guitar a couple of years ago and went through the same process you are going through right now. I would offer the following to the extent helpful:
  • Don't shop for brands, shop for guitars. Guitars within brands sound and feel different.
  • There are lots of good/great guitars in your price point!
  • Aim for playability and comfort, in addition to sound. Are there guitars you find easier to hold down notes, is the string spacing more comfortable than others, that sort of thing. For sound, let a fellow shopper or the salesperson play for you. Or take a friend. For playability, only you can decide and take all the time you need. You're going to have to play the thing, not just listen to it!
  • There are an infinite number of options to research: size, bracing, tone wood, it goes on and on. Don't let it drive you crazy. But buying a guitar 2nd hand with strong resale value (Martins and Taylors) will let you explore these options with your subsequent purchases and less of a hit on the pocket book.
  • Importantly, a good setup goes a long way, but some guitars cannot be set up well. That's why you are at a great price point, particularly if you buy 2nd hand. You will be beyond the "danger zone" of a compromised guitar because the manufacturer had to hit a certain price point (there are definitely really good guitars under $300 or even $200 but I tend to think more expensive guitars are subject to more stringent quality control).
  • A good setup requires a good set up guy/gal. I prefer ones done by a local luthier to my guitar center tech, but YMMV. Ask for recommendations on AGF. With a good setup there will noticeable before and after differences at all guitar price points (with typically greater improvements for lower priced instruments - though see the last bullet).

For $100 or less, think of it as a necessary cost of ownership, like oil changes and tires for the car. It's not optional and I would rather have $100 less into the guitar with a great setup, than $100 more into guitar but be unable to afford the setup. But find someone who will deliver every last penny of value for that $100 (or less)!

Bashkin 00-12 Adi/Hog
Bashkin 0M-MS Swiss Moon/PRW(build thread)
Bashkin GC-12 Sitka/Koa
Carter-Poulsen J-Model German Select Spruce/MacEb
Fender MIJ Strat ('90) and 50s RW Tele ('19)
Martin 00-28c Spruce/BRW('67)
Martin M-36 (R) Sitka/EIR
Michaud O-R Cedar/Koa - New Build
Michaud J-R Sitka/MBW
K. Yairi RF-120 Spruce/EIR
KoAloha KTM-25 Koa/Koa
Yamaha G-231 Cedar/Hog ('71)
Old 11-02-2019, 01:02 PM

I was in the same position as you are last year, recently retired and looking for a a good quality guitar in the $500-$800 price range. When I first started looking I figured that an all solid wood US made guitar would be out of my budget and concentrated on brands like Seagull, Alvarez, Yamaha etc. All of which build quality guitars which would have been quite adequate for my needs. A couple of weeks into my search I was at a local GC and spotted a used Taylor dread hanging on the wall and had a salesman get it down for me, after looking at the price tag and playing it for about 10 seconds I knew it was coming home with me. The guitar was a used Taylor DN3 in excellent condition with a hard case for just over $600. An all solid wood US made guitar that plays and sounds fantastic. Do yourself a favor and keep an eye out for a used Taylor from the DN or GA series, they are wonderful values.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69MusicART View Post
Ed, thanks to you, and others who have recommended Alvarez. All of a sudden, things just seemed to come together as far as Alvarez, for me. Last night, my friend, the talented guitarist called me last night to tell me that he was visiting with another friend in New Mexico and played an Alvarez, all solid mahogany, Mastersound MGA-66 model, and thought it might be the perfect guitar for me. He said the build quality was great, the action was excellent, and that the guitar sounded wonderful. He was honestly shocked at the price they are available for, even new.

I did some research on that particular guitar last night, and even listened to a comparison video with that and the equivalent non all mahogany Master Series guitar. It unfortunately seems that finding used guitars of that model is next to impossible, or, they sell for too close to the street price for a new one. I also took a trip this morning to a Guitar Center thats about an hour away, and had one in stock. I liked the feel of it, really liked the sound quality, a bit of a richer, darker tone, I assume driven by the fact that its all solid mahogany. Their price was higher than I had seen online from a couple reputable stores(and it would have been taxable on top of that) and the wood, while very nice, did not compare to that of a couple I had seen in pictures.

I went home, pulled up all the sites I had identified late last night, and found one with absolutely gorgeous looking wood, and at the lowest price I had seen for a new one. I called them up, and not only did i get the guitar for $650.00, but shipping was free, no tax, and their luthier does a complete setup at no additional charge. I also talked, at length with the guitar manager at the store, and he went and got the guitar, checked the action and said it was excellent, and even played it for me over the ohone so I could hear it. I'm really happy with this solution for my needs.

Thanks VERY much to everyone who provided recommendations and also hope and motivation as I work my way through learning how to play this wondrous instrument, the guitar. All of your help is immensely appreciated.

Jim

It was destiny.....congratulations on a sweet guitar, and at a good price. Your next responsibility it to take pictures and post them for all to see. Then start playing
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 11-02-2019, 04:13 PM

Lots of great advice so now go play some guitars and pick the one that gives you chills.

If you are like most of us, after you have been playing for a while, you will be once again on the lookout for an upgrade.

This is why buying used is a good idea.
Less or no loss at resale.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion