The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-21-2019, 01:24 PM

Default Julian Lage- None Better

https://www.collingsguitars.com/vide...e-day-and-age/
Old 08-21-2019, 01:53 PM

To me, he sounds worlds away better on his vintage Martin 000-18.

That Martin is remarkable sounding, especially in his hands.

I saw him in concert with Chis Eldridge a couple of years ago here in Portland Oregon, and he was using the Collings.

Not remarkable sounding at all.

His playing was stellar, as always, his guitar tone, meh...

Go to Youtube and listen to the video of Julian and Chris playing on the dock on Flathead Lake in Montana. He is using the Martin

Now, THAT is remarkable tone...IMO

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 08-21-2019, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I preferred the sound of that particular Martin (my ear favors that tone) over that particular Collings as well but not sure either sample proves much other than Julian Lage is a proficient guitar player. If my years on this forum have taught me anything, I am guessing that we will probably have just as many folks here who will prefer one as prefer the other.

Best,
Jayne
Old 08-21-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post

Agreed on the OP - he's ridiculously musical and musically ridiculous.

I have my story about his Martin - can't recall if I've told it on the AGF.

I nearly bought it a week before he did.

I went to Retrofret in Brooklyn to find an old 000. I tried the 7-8 they had (wonderful inventory there). The one that grabbed me immediately was a '39. Neck was slightly thinner than my preferred chunky, but it had something.

After a lot of playing around, the other one in the running was a '47 000-21. Neck was perfect and it was special in its own way. But that '39 000-18 - man. As I went over it, it was clear that the bridge had been off many times, to the point that there was obvious patching in the spruce underneath.

Since I had had a '46 LG-2 whose bridge popped off, I was wary, so I went with the '47.

I learned later that Lage had a '39 000-18 that was his main guitar with Critter, and that he got it from Retrofret. So I called and confirmed it was the same guitar. And that its bridge work was by TJ Thompson, so, yeah, likely won't pop off, eh?

So, I learned a bit, but am *so* glad I passed on the guitar because, well, Julian Lage. I do have to say, it was totally cool to realize I picked out a guitar that Julian Lage also picked out.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

I find these touring pros, when they are on heavy tour, have super low action hence choking any lushness in favor of entertaining.

When some of these same amazing players have medium high action and use their muscles to get some real tone, it is a whole different experience.

Eric Clapton, Dave Matthews, Tommy Emmanuel, etc.... plinkedy plinkedlee. Were missing a ton of the dynamic acoustic range with these 3/32" string height players.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augfive View Post
Just extraordinary. I'd love to hear what he and Eric Skye might be able to do together.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 08-21-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
Agreed on the OP - he's ridiculously musical and musically ridiculous.

I have my story about his Martin - can't recall if I've told it on the AGF.

I nearly bought it a week before he did.

I went to Retrofret in Brooklyn to find an old 000. I tried the 7-8 they had (wonderful inventory there). The one that grabbed me immediately was a '39. Neck was slightly thinner than my preferred chunky, but it had something.

After a lot of playing around, the other one in the running was a '47 000-21. Neck was perfect and it was special in its own way. But that '39 000-18 - man. As I went over it, it was clear that the bridge had been off many times, to the point that there was obvious patching in the spruce underneath.

Since I had had a '46 LG-2 whose bridge popped off, I was wary, so I went with the '47.

I learned later that Lage had a '39 000-18 that was his main guitar with Critter, and that he got it from Retrofret. So I called and confirmed it was the same guitar. And that its bridge work was by TJ Thompson, so, yeah, likely won't pop off, eh?

So, I learned a bit, but am *so* glad I passed on the guitar because, well, Julian Lage. I do have to say, it was totally cool to realize I picked out a guitar that Julian Lage also picked out.
That’s an amazing (true) story, thanks for sharing that!

tippy5: interesting point; I’m not sure if it’s their playing style/ easier to pull off their repertoire live - but I’m hearing a lot more of that percussive effect nowadays.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Seen him live. He’s so good! And yes, his Martin is amazing.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Go to Youtube and listen to the video of Julian and Chris playing on the dock on Flathead Lake in Montana. He is using the Martin

Couldn't agree more. I just listened to that for the first time -- phenomenal, especially the first 3 minutes. That's how guitars are supposed to sound...can't beat the warm vintage voicing of two Martins.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 08-22-2019, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
I find these touring pros, when they are on heavy tour, have super low action hence choking any lushness in favor of entertaining.

When some of these same amazing players have medium high action and use their muscles to get some real tone, it is a whole different experience.

Eric Clapton, Dave Matthews, Tommy Emmanuel, etc.... plinkedy plinkedlee. Were missing a ton of the dynamic acoustic range with these 3/32" string height players.
Interesting comment. Wondering where Molly Tuttle's Low E sits?

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 08-22-2019, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post

Why would a “touring pro” have to make a binary choice between having a lush tone and being entertaining? And why would the heaviness of a tour schedule be a factor in that?
Old 08-22-2019, 04:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I saw him in concert with Chis Eldridge a couple of years ago here in Portland Oregon, and he was using the Collings.

duff
To your ears perhaps so, to others perhaps not and I think Mr. Lage may be in the latter camp. I think the better statement is you prefer his tone with his Martin being respectful that others may prefer the more “modern” tone of his signature Collings which he developed in close collaboration with Bill Collings.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 08-22-2019, 05:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
To your ears perhaps so, to others perhaps not and I think Mr. Lage may be in the latter camp. I think the better statement is you prefer his tone with his Martin being respectful that others may prefer the more “modern” tone of his signature Collings which he developed in close collaboration with Bill Collings.
Couldn’t agree more Bob. To some people truth is all about 1 perception - their own. And while we’re at it, Red is by far the best color.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Agree completely. Well said. I'm glad there are a lot of guitar makers to keep all of us guitarists happy. Lol...

What an awesome video! Thanks for posting. I enjoyed it. Remarkable guitar in the hands of a remarkable player. That was a lot of fun. Wonderful control of dynamics.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:23 AM

Quote:

duff
I was more commenting on his playing. The guitar in this video is not the Collings JL signature model.
I have one, but somehow I don’t sound like Julian when I play it! I may have to return it. :-)

Last edited by Augfive; 08-22-2019 at 05:42 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion