The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-24-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
To me, he sounds worlds away better on his vintage Martin 000-18.

That Martin is remarkable sounding, especially in his hands.

I saw him in concert with Chis Eldridge a couple of years ago here in Portland Oregon, and he was using the Collings.

Not remarkable sounding at all.

His playing was stellar, as always, his guitar tone, meh...

Go to Youtube and listen to the video of Julian and Chris playing on the dock on Flathead Lake in Montana. He is using the Martin

Now, THAT is remarkable tone...IMO

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Agreed, but let's take a step back and realize that his tone with his Collings is still in a different universe. He is incredible, and my favorite acoustic player ever.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:19 AM

He's fantastic and I'm sure he could play a "Hello Kitty" guitar and it'd sound incredible, BUT, this is the artist, guitar and arrangement of a song that has just blown me away lately! I've listened to this video so many times lately!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 10-24-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
Agreed, but let's take a step back and realize that his tone with his Collings is still in a different universe. He is incredible, and my favorite acoustic player ever.
Julian IS in a different Universe!!! Blessed with one of the most creative and free flowing virtuoso talents I have heard with the possible exceptions of Bill Evans, Glenn Gould, Joshua Bell and Stevie Ray Vaughn...And with truly wonderful tone to match.

However...I still feel that his tone on his Collings is lackluster and average at best, compared to when he plays his 000-18.

But that is just me, my feelings.

And also YES...Bob Minner is a truly elegant and remarkable musician...and his vintage Gibson banner is a stellar example of what great vintage Gibson tone is all about.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 10-24-2019, 08:05 AM

I love Lage...in a manly way. That Collings is one gorgeous guitar, but tone-wise gimme that 000 every day of the week. No comparison, IMHO.

scott
Old 10-24-2019, 09:11 AM

Not having heard all the examples of Lage on whatever guitars, I will next say that I find this thread somewhat puzzling.

I'm under the impression that Lage plays smaller halls and theaters, but that he's not playing living room house concerts. That would mean that the listeners reporting how they like his concerts based on the model of the guitar they see in his hands and how they perceive it sounding are almost certainly hearing it through the house sound system operated by whoever, either via a microphone or a pickup. And then in some other cases, via a YouTube clip with however it was recorded and compressed.

Wouldn't that be a significant variable? Does he switch between guitars during concerts so that it evens out for one soundman and venue? Have those that have formed an impression that the Martin sounds better seen him at least a few times with each model so that they have a field of venues/operators firming up their impressions?

This is not a trolling question, it's an honest one about if this other factor was weighed in or is not really significant.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion