The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-01-2022, 02:31 AM

Default A question about lap steel guitar

Hello everyone. I've been trying to dial up this lap steel sound (played from 3:29 in the video) with my electric guitar and a EHX POG2 pedal. I used a longish attack and it sort of works but the timbre is not quite right yet to my ear. My question is if you think that this particular sound (very beautiful, almost theremin like sound of a swan singing) can even be made with electric guitar and some pedals or if it's better to get a lap steel.
More generally speaking, is the difference between lap steel and normal electric guitar rather in their sound timbres or rather in the "sound envelopes" that these instruments produce? I've never played a lap steel, is its sound timbre so specific, that it can't really be replicated (with some processing) on an electric guitar?
If that is the case, I'm going to buy a lap steel, that's no problem. I really need that sound
His lap steel can be seen at 4:10 in the video. Any guesses which brand it could be? I'd like to get the same one, if possible.
I just can't make the video work for some reason so this is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOoPn3qfu18
Thanks!

Last edited by neofolk; 10-01-2022 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-01-2022, 06:04 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I got an error on your video clip. Sorry.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-01-2022, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I got an error on your video clip. Sorry.

Bob
Thanks for letting me know, I put a link instead.
Old 10-01-2022, 10:11 AM

Slight delay for length and a touch of reverb for depth, a compressor/sustainer pedal and possibly some clean boost for thickness of tone.

The player is getting great sound from his rig, and I am sure you can emulate that sound on a guitar set up for slide playing. It’s not a unique slide sound. Pick a heavy brass or ceramic steel and the aforementioned effects.

frank d.
Old 10-01-2022, 11:27 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Agreeing with Chickee, he's also using a volume control pedal for swells to eliminate the attack of the notes. In the studio I get this effect with a Helix modeler. I'm using a Deluxe Reverb model with the volume up around one o'clock with a 2x12" Twin cab model for more smoothness. I run it through the volume pedal model then a plain-Jane MXR Dyna-Comp compressor model and then, depending on how much drive I want, say a little more David Gilmour territory, a Prince of Tone* model. Then it is the amp and cab models with my special sauce of post-cab EQ and then delay digital and a room reverb.

I use a heavy Shubb SP3 Sally Van Meter ergo steel. If you pick the strings with the right hand up a little over the fingerboard and roll off a pinch of tone at the guitar you get a rounder sound.

The cool part is that with the volume pedal before a cranked, medium gain non-master volume amp you can choose just how far you want to push into amplifier distortion. Just a little? Make it growl? Fairly clean? All in the pedal and not fizzy.

I've got three guitars to choose from. I'd probably go with my inexpensive Gretsch Electromatic G5715 lap steel for this effect because it is the smoothest I've got, even more than my pre-war Richenbacher B.

Gretsch has changed the guitar numbers (G5700) and colors but it is the same guitar, HERE. It is a modern version of their classic 1950s 6147 Mainliner.

Bob

* The MXR/Jim Dunlop licensed "Duke of Tone" clone should be out soon.

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-01-2022, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Agreeing with Chickee, he's also using a volume control pedal for swells to eliminate the attack of the notes. In the studio I get this effect with a Helix modeler. I'm using a Deluxe Reverb model with the volume up around one o'clock with a 2x12" Twin cab model for more smoothness. I run it through the volume pedal model then a plain-Jane MXR Dyna-Comp compressor model and then, depending on how much drive I want, say a little more David Gilmour territory, a Prince of Tone* model. Then it is the amp and cab models with my special sauce of post-cab EQ and then delay digital and a room reverb.

I use a heavy Shubb SP3 Sally Van Meter ergo steel. If you pick the strings with the right hand up a little over the fingerboard and roll off a pinch of tone at the guitar you get a rounder sound.

The cool part is that with the volume pedal before a cranked, medium gain non-master volume amp you can choose just how far you want to push into amplifier distortion. Just a little? Make it growl? Fairly clean? All in the pedal and not fizzy.

I've got three guitars to choose from. I'd probably go with my inexpensive Gretsch Electromatic G5715 lap steel for this effect because it is the smoothest I've got, even more than my pre-war Richenbacher B.

Gretsch has changed the guitar numbers (G5700) and colors but it is the same guitar, HERE. It is a modern version of their classic 1950s 6147 Mainliner.

Bob

* The MXR/Jim Dunlop licensed "Duke of Tone" clone should be out soon.

How silly of me to forget the volume pedal! I’m ashamed of myself😹 Good call Mr. Womack, along with you gear selection and very comfy looking ergonomically designed steel.
fd
Old 10-01-2022, 04:45 PM

Thanks guys! That's really valuable info for me. I'll try to use those effects on a electric guitar first and then perhaps buy the Gretsch

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments