The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-02-2022, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

I wasn't very familiar with Alvarez and haven't played very many. But I recently stumbled on a Masterworks series (MDA66SHB) that knocked my socks off with its build quality and tone. So much so I walked out with it, and I wasn't very seriously looking for anything. I've been fortunate to own some top notch instruments from some of the best builders discussed here. To my eyes and ears, I can't see or hear anything about this Alvarez that takes much of a back seat to any of them. Certainly it is on par with the big name and popular factory-built guitars made here in the U.S. -- and I've owned most of them in many body shapes and woods. I haven't played enough of them to form a more general opinion. But if all of the Masterworks guitars are built like this one, they are getting it right. It is beyond fantastic, all for less than 600 bucks. Color me impressed.

Last edited by Brent Nelson; 10-03-2022 at 05:20 AM.
Old 10-04-2022, 04:07 PM

I liked the bluegrass masterworks dread, but I couldn't get along with the neck. If the neck works for you it's great value. I had similar experiences with the IBG Epiphones, plus they were too heavy.
The Alvarez BG I played was beautifully finished with herringbone. Shame about the neck, though I'd probably get used to it had I pulled the trigger. I also played some of their masterworks cutaways, but didn't like them. They were priced alongside the Yamaha red label 3 series, which are far superior guitars in every way IMO.
Old 10-05-2022, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
I currently own 10 Alvarez guitars and I love them! They have a great tone and playability.

I say this after owning many Taylor guitars. These guitars will not break the bank. Two of them were in the $550 range the rest were purchased used in fantastic condition in the $200-$300 range.

I highly recommend Alvarez guitars!!

Edit: these ones listed are all solid wood.

Six string
Alvarez MD95
Alvarez MD70
Alvarez PD80S
Alvarez MDA66SHB

12-Strings
Alvarez PD80S
Pretty sure the PD series is solid top and back and lam sides. Not that it matters, they're wonderful guitars.
Old 10-05-2022, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edcmat-l1 View Post
Pretty sure the PD series is solid top and back and lam sides. Not that it matters, they're wonderful guitars.
I believe you are correct. Thanks for the update!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion