The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-27-2022, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
Depends on what the service is like in your area. We dumped our landline a few years back, but are thinking about getting it back. Too many cell phone dead spots in our house for phone calls.
My father had to do this. Cell coverage was really poor and not reliable at his home. Missed a lot of calls and couldn’t always make one.
Old 09-27-2022, 10:02 PM

We have a land line because we live at the bottom of a hill and cell service is only fair and that is only through Verizon. None of the other carriers work well in our house. The land line is also required for our security system. Unless the landline phone indicates the call is from someone we know and want to talk to, we don’t even answer it. … and I keep my cell phone on silent and call people back when I see they have called.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 09-28-2022, 04:08 AM

We got rid of our physical landline at least 10 years ago. We were able to port the number to our cell provider, so we still use it for store cards, etc. and when we need to give a phone number. Like most it stays on silent and we check it every day or two.
Old 09-28-2022, 04:30 AM

We had some kind of package that included the landline service with the cable TV. When I ditched the cable TV in favor of streaming, the landline went with it.

I don't much miss the landline, but I'll admit I sometimes miss the cable TV, mostly for live sporting events and news. I guess I've learned to live with it.
Old 09-28-2022, 05:16 AM

Haven't had one for years, but I do miss the quality of a good land line.

You could tell what kind of a mood someone was in, hear background sounds, people breathing/sighing, lighting a cigarette, the neighbor's dog.

Many young people have no idea how good the audio of a phone used to be.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 09-28-2022, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post

You could tell what kind of a mood someone was in, hear background sounds, people breathing/sighing, lighting a cigarette, the neighbor's dog.

Good point…

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-28-2022, 05:36 AM

Whichever number you give to everyone you do business with, that's where the spam calls go to. It doesn't matter if it's a cell or landline. I don't give out my cell or email. My landline has caller ID and voicemail. All calls get screened.
Old 09-28-2022, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post

You remind that I kept an old rotary phone working for a while and my kids did experience that.

Technically, that was would be an old phone mic and handset having no smarts such as background noise cancellation. Old POTS was narrow band range of 3.4 kHz range, and I recall the newer protocols around 7 kHz. I'm glad I don't have to remember stuff like that to pass tests anymore, but moving into the age where I have to remember why I went upstairs or downstairs LOL.
Old 09-28-2022, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
As long as I've had a cell phone (many years) I've kept the landline (Frontier) because I figured in an emergency, 911 from a landline would be more reliable. (I'm not so sure of that, just an assumption). It's only about $30 a month for local dial tone but honestly we only get calls from scammers and solicitors, and we never use it to dial out. It seems a waste of money that could be better put toward other things.

Anyone here discontinue their landline? Any reason for keeping it?
Yes we have not had a land line for 12 years now, and I can't really think of a reason to have one. Given we have a printer that can scan documents which can be used in lieu of fax, which being retired we only do occasionally now ..

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 09-28-2022, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Even before cell phones I hated land lines. I know that it could be considered rude, but I don't answer my phone unless it is someone I want to talk to. I think it is rude just to call up and assume someone has time and wants to talk. Most of my communications are by text. I have a half dozen people programmed into my cell that will ring in on my phone, people like my kids, my wife and my in laws who might need to get hold of me right away in an emergency. Everyone else can either leave a message or text me. My land line, at least at the time, didn't lend itself to that. It demanded some sort of immediate attention.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

Last edited by rllink; 09-28-2022 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-28-2022, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Technically, that was would be an old phone mic and handset having no smarts such as background noise cancellation. Old POTS was narrow band range of 3.4 kHz range, and I recall the newer protocols around 7 kHz. I'm glad I don't have to remember stuff like that to pass tests anymore, but moving into the age where I have to remember why I went upstairs or downstairs LOL.
Yeah, it's kind of funny--especially on this forum-to refer to old phone tech as having "good audio". Digital tech, with compression, drop-outs and whatnot can sound horrible, but phone lines weren't very hi-fidelity. A while back I had to convert an audio file to use as "on-hold" music for a phone system. It had to be in some weird, band-limited 8-bit format. There's a reason that music on the phone sounds like it's being played through a cheese grater.
Old 09-28-2022, 10:34 AM

I still prefer landline for a chatty type call. There's some sort of very slight delay on a mobile which results in false starts when both parties talk at once. Never happens on landline. Maybe it's the delay in converting to digital signal and back?
Old 09-28-2022, 10:46 AM

To dump or not to dump? That is the question.

Is it better to have dumped and lost than never to have dumped at all?

These conundrums are not easily answered ...
Old 09-28-2022, 10:52 AM

Most "landline" phones are no longer "landlines". They are VOIP. Which means if you lose power you lose your phone. This is little help in emergency situations. Cell towers are much more secure and reliable if you are in their service area.

Very few companies still offer traditional landline "copper" phones. They do not want to maintain the lines.
Old 09-28-2022, 11:02 AM

We don’t use a scanner anymore.
We just take a pic with a cellphone and email it or put it in an electronic file, whatever the need.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic