The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-30-2022, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post

Simple answer… because there are people out there that will pay that much.
Economics 101. And if no one pays that much, you can watch the price sink.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 09-30-2022, 06:28 AM

The sales tax for me would be $2,864. That would buy a pretty nice guitar.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 09-30-2022, 06:51 AM

It’s kind of like looking at cars. You can buy reliable transportation (a used Toyota) for less than $15K. You can buy a really great new car for less than $50K, and you can read about people buying a new Lamborghini for $200K+.
Old 09-30-2022, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
I agree 110% with all your general points but I want to note that this is not just about “should there be $36,000 guitars?” It is also about “why is one company charging $36,000 for a guitar that their peers would sell for a fraction of that price?”
Admittedly I didn't spend much time doing this. But I googled Fort Ross Chapel Redwood Brazilian Rosewood Guitar and not only did I not find a peer selling a guitar with those tonewoods (and again, remember we're talking about wood provenance and all the historical value of being from Fort Ross Chapel (whether it's important to you or not is your own decision)...I didn't find another guitar with those tonewoods.

Keep in mind Bourgeois and Huss and Dalton both have $20K+ BRW guitars without similar heritage tops, so it's not like SCGC is way out of bounds here.

And again, the marketplace will speak. SCGC didn't build 100 of these as a business model. They sold one. They'll need to sell one. My money is that within 12-24 months, it will have been sold.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 09-30-2022, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Surprised that nobody's yet mentioned that Martin also builds guitars priced at $50,000, $200,000 etc.

James Olson said in an interview that most people coming to him want the "James Taylor" sounding guitar, and his reputation is for producing instruments which are very consistent.

I think Olson starts at 20,000, I've never played an Olson because nobody near me sells them, nor have I heard a TJ Thompson, which I understand starts more like $40,000 and up.
Old 09-30-2022, 01:03 PM

Think of how many Martin Backpackers you could get for that price! Just a funny thought I had... But I guess this might be just the guitar for some musically inclined Russian oligarch to play while floating around on his yacht. It's a beautiful instrument for sure!
Old 09-30-2022, 01:14 PM

I see posts like this all over the Internet. Whether it's for shock value or someone is just shocked I don't know. Always, the end result is "people will pay for what they want if they can." I have no problem with that.

Sometimes I go large. Twice, I've bought shoes that cost over $300 a pair. Why? They aren't great looking, but they are the "world's most comfortable shoes." And when you spend a lot of time on your feet and need to look the part, they work. They also last.

I love fine automobiles, but the vehicle of my dreams is beyond my reach. That doesn't mean I can't get a car that satisfies the inner needs that make a car suit me.

I likely wouldn't pay $35K for a guitar even if it wouldn't make a serious dent in my finances. Why? Because I'm not a good enough player to be able to discern the difference between a $3500 guitar and a $35K guitar.
Old 09-30-2022, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeld View Post
Think of how many Martin Backpackers you could get for that price! Just a funny thought I had... But I guess this might be just the guitar for some musically inclined Russian oligarch to play while floating around on his yacht. It's a beautiful instrument for sure!
Or a tech industry CEO that's "disrupted" enough people to make himself a billionaire.
Old 09-30-2022, 09:18 PM

Default Cedar and Brazilian Prices Mooning

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBee View Post
$35,000 just for the wood for the top of the guitar? Holy smokes! What would a whole entire guitar cost?...
I'd have no problem mooning someone who just quoted me a $35K upcharge for top wood...
Old 09-30-2022, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I'd have no problem mooning someone who just quoted me a $35K upcharge for top wood...
This gets my vote for the best post of the week!

Old 10-01-2022, 02:28 PM

35k guitars exist only to make us feel prudent when buying 5k guitars...
Old 10-01-2022, 09:39 PM

All the buzz over the hyped up top or back and sides woods is usually marketing to unlock our wallets. The Tree, or lucky strike or tunnel redwood etc. Now we have a new one I haven't heard of before...Good tonewood helps but they are not a magic bullet. I once commissioned a guitar made by a very respected luthier and I procured extremely rare German spruce that had been harvested in the 1930s and sitting in the attic drying in the air for 70 years plus. So this was basically prewar level spruce top. The resulting guitar was good but not the world beater that I thought it would be. There are no magic bullets - u could get the best luthier In the world and the rarest and most hyped up tonewood sets and still end up with just a 'good' guitar. There is always an element that is beyond the powers or any luthier to guarantee. So why bother spending massive premiums to get the latest hyped up woods? Get good sets of tonewood of the choices u r looking for tonewise and trust the luthier but know that chances are u will end up with just a good guitar and accept that. If u get a exceptional world beater, then be thankful. That's why the best option is to only buy after u play...
Old 10-02-2022, 01:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodM32Fan View Post
Admittedly I didn't spend much time doing this. But I googled Fort Ross Chapel Redwood Brazilian Rosewood Guitar and not only did I not find a peer selling a guitar with those tonewoods (and again, remember we're talking about wood provenance and all the historical value of being from Fort Ross Chapel (whether it's important to you or not is your own decision)...I didn't find another guitar with those tonewoods.

Keep in mind Bourgeois and Huss and Dalton both have $20K+ BRW guitars without similar heritage tops, so it's not like SCGC is way out of bounds here.

And again, the marketplace will speak. SCGC didn't build 100 of these as a business model. They sold one. They'll need to sell one. My money is that within 12-24 months, it will have been sold.
Your post prompted me to search this redwood too and I found a thread on the AGF offering sets for sale: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/....php?p=7003098

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond_fan View Post
Hi!

I have a few Old Growth Redwood Acoustic Guitar Tops which were cut from beams taken from the famed Fort Ross in California. The beams are reclaimed wood that were taken from the chapel of Fort Ross, which caught on fire in October 1970.

These tops are estimated to be almost 200 years old in lumber form and are super tight vertical grain.

I have a small quantity for sale right now, because a few tops were sold to Conor Casey, a recent apprentice/graduate of Ervin Somogyi handpicked a few and some went to Richard Hoover/Santa Cruz Guitar Company. Prices range from 3 AAA +, $349.95 - Mastergrade, $499.95, and most sizes are dreadnought size and run about .19 thick.

I will be cutting some more up this President's day weekend February 2022.

You can read more about these amazing tops on my Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/Fort-Ross-R...7895144293832/

Tap tone quality to rival Redwood tops from the famed Lucky Strike Tree!!!

Examples of pricing, dimensions and visual quality.
Mastergrade: $499.95

5 AAAAA, $449.95: L 23.5” x W 9” x T .1875”

Old 10-02-2022, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

The whole theme of this is pointless - you can easily look at ANY consumer good, from cars to boats to jewelry to clothes to wine or scotch, and you’ll see exactly the same comments and misunderstandings. This isn’t about Santa Cruz or Richard Hoover, or about the quality or value of a import plywood guitar. It’s about what you, as an individual, find both worthwhile and important in your own evaluation of priorities. I think it’s completely insane to spend $1000-$5000 or more for a ticket to a sporting event - and people do it all the time. $50,000 for a watch? Lots of people anxious to wear one - not really much more accurate than a dime store quartz watch. And does anyone understand spending $10,000 for a purse or shoes?( I think you have to call them handbags and footwear at that level ).

I would lay odds that if we walked into the home or apt of any single person who’s expressed some outrage over these prices, it would be pretty easy to find multiple examples of items that had much cheaper alternatives available, but there was a reason - a brand name, an endorsement, or some perceived - possibly imaginary - value that made that item the one someone felt was “better” - and you all know thats true.

So you’re not in the market for a $30,000 guitar. Cool - no problem. But that doesn’t mean that someone else isn’t, or that there is not a great deal of value in that instrument. And if your ONLY argument is “resale value”, then you are truly not going to understand any of this - put $20,000 into your kids dream wedding, then tell me about the resale value of it -

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion