The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-26-2022, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Default New Godin 5th Avenue Jumbo Models

These look interesting. The video is from NAMM and doesn't tell much about these new versions but the body is quite a bit larger than the original 5th Avenue and there are 3 different pickup offerings. I wonder if they'll offer an acoustic version as well? Either way, I'm curious to try them if they can be found in the wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIal...tSuperstore%21
Old 09-26-2022, 04:29 PM

I own an original 5th Avenue acoustic, and if they made an acoustic version I'd have it in a heartbeat...

By the same token, it's a shame they slapped a Bigsby on the single-PU version: that P-Rails PU puts every classic jazzbox sound at your fingertips and, given its body size, they should have marketed it as a latter-day version of the postwar 17" ES-150 - ditch the TOM for a traditional wooden bridge, moved the volume/tone knobs to the rim to free up the top, and you'd have a true dual-duty acoustic + electric instrument...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 09-26-2022 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-04-2022, 06:37 PM

Looks like they're starting to appear in stores - unfortunately no info on the Godin website nor any soundclips yet...
Old 10-04-2022, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Looks like they're starting to appear in stores - unfortunately no info on the Godin website nor any soundclips yet...
Yes, I find it strange that there is no mention on their site at all. I've seen a few for sale on Reverb but no videos/demos at all.
Old 10-07-2022, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

The Godin web site now has info on these new models with video demos. The single pickup Duncan P-Rail model with Bigsby has my attention!

https://godinguitars.com/product-cat...ics/5th-avenue
Old 10-07-2022, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post
The single pickup Duncan P-Rail model with Bigsby has my attention!
If they could just ditch the Bigsby they'd have a latter-day postwar ES-150 on their hands - and it's got my attention too...
Old 10-07-2022, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

I sent them an email to ask for one without a pickup or maybe just a floating pickup with no holes or routing in the body. They can be reached at: [email protected]

Adding their quick reply 30 min after I sent my email!

There are no plans for a fully acoustic version or a version with a neck mounted floating pickup at this time.
But if sales of the Jumbo models are good, we'll most probably offer more options in the future.

Thanks,

Michel Bélanger
support clients/customer service
Godin Guitars

Last edited by nbs2005; 10-07-2022 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Add more info.
Old 10-16-2022, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbs2005 View Post
I sent them an email to ask for one without a pickup or maybe just a floating pickup with no holes or routing in the body. They can be reached at: [email protected]

Adding their quick reply 30 min after I sent my email!

There are no plans for a fully acoustic version or a version with a neck mounted floating pickup at this time.
But if sales of the Jumbo models are good, we'll most probably offer more options in the future...
If you're serious (as in cash-in-hand serious) I'd approach an authorized stocking dealer about the possibility of a custom order with a pickup-delete option: FYI the major companies have been making short runs of special-order instruments in response to dealer request for the last 100+ years and, if you can find someone who'd be willing to up-front a dozen or so, Godin might consider it viable to produce them as an exclusive since there's no re-tooling involved - and you can always install the pickup[s] of your choice post-purchase...
Old 06-29-2023, 04:34 PM

The sound-sample videos were made available 8 months ago.

Jumbo Dual P-90

Jumbo Dual HB

Jumbo P-Rail with Bigsby Bridge

Old 06-30-2023, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

I watched those demo videos at about the same time I started this thread. Still have not come across one in a store so I am left to wonder if they're being produced in any decent quantity.
Old 07-06-2023, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post
Still have not come across one in a store so I am left to wonder if they're being produced in any decent quantity.
I've seen them offered by smaller shops online but not on Sweetwater or GC. It looks like the big online shops still have lots of inventory of the older 5th Avenue models and I'm guessing that they're trying to sell those off first.
Old 07-07-2023, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastStrings View Post
I've seen them offered by smaller shops online but not on Sweetwater or GC. It looks like the big online shops still have lots of inventory of the older 5th Avenue models and I'm guessing that they're trying to sell those off first.
The other possibility is that it's admittedly a niche instrument, and while there's a small nucleus of jazz/blues/Americana/roots players who can appreciate the aesthetic and sonic merits of a postwar-style big-body jazzbox, it's a fair bet that the typical prospective Godin customer (even the jazz/rockabilly guys who buy the standard 5th Avenue models) don't "get it". Sad to say I have a gut feeling that, much like the all-acoustic/non-cutaway 5th Avenue archtop (which has since become a cult favorite), this one's going to go under in a relatively short time: a shame, since with a slight rethink (removing the Bigsby/relocating the knobs on the P-Rail model, and offering an all-acoustic version as a "crossover" guitar for the flattop crowd) this could easily be the "mass appeal" instrument Epiphone was hoping for with their ill-conceived Masterbilt archtop line...
Old 01-17-2024, 09:25 PM

I own 2 Jumbo 5th Avenue models. I find them comfortable to play and they both have a nice voice acoustically. I have not plugged either the Memphis Sun or the Harvest gold P rail in yet but I will. I will say they feel dood in the hand and you can feel the quality workmanship.
Old 01-18-2024, 03:09 AM
Charter Member

Welcome to the forum!

Great to hear your impressions of these guitars.

I do wish that Godin would come out with an acoustic version with the jumbo body. I play the standard depth 5th Avenue acoustic version at gigs (just mic'd on stage) and love it - it is sadly no longer being made. I think that the jumbo version, in a purely acoustic form, could be popular with roots/Americana singer/songwriters.

However, Godin have no plans at present to bring out an acoustic version of the jumbo depth 5th Avenue guitars. I asked them that specific question last month (Dec 23).

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 01-18-2024, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I own an original 5th Avenue acoustic, and if they made an acoustic version I'd have it in a heartbeat...

By the same token, it's a shame they slapped a Bigsby on the single-PU version: that P-Rails PU puts every classic jazzbox sound at your fingertips and, given its body size, they should have marketed it as a latter-day version of the postwar 17" ES-150 - ditch the TOM for a traditional wooden bridge, moved the volume/tone knobs to the rim to free up the top, and you'd have a true dual-duty acoustic + electric instrument...
You could be right. Rockabilly is hillbilly jazz, so you can see who it's mainly aimed at.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars