The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-25-2022, 11:40 AM

Default When less is more

Given the trouble I've been having with electronics this summer at camp, I decided to keep things simple today. Just the Stagepas 600i, no speaker stands, no Voiceprint DI, no pedalboard. My wife's Sennheiser e945 and my Neumann KMS104 and my Yamaha CPX900 direct in. A hint of reverb. Power via the Jackery 290. Everything worked flawlessly and the guitar sounded fantastic. Yamaha ART pickups are hard to beat for a good plugged in tone.

Have any of you experienced the "less is more" phenomenon?
Old 09-25-2022, 12:26 PM

With the EV 30/50M you have both less (equipment transported and setup) and more (all the advantages of a complicated setup).
Old 09-25-2022, 12:35 PM

The same thing with the Elite Acoustics D6-58. Everything you want for a small gig (mixers, compressors, EQs, DSP, notch filters, etc), and yet, you just grab one box!
Old 09-25-2022, 03:01 PM

I used to complicate things with my acoustic and electric rigs, but I quickly discovered two things... One, I hardly use 90% of the gear on my board and Two, shows are often chaotic, especially the set up so the easier it is to set up, the better. I also know for myself, I struggle with practicing using my gear at home so when I get to a show, I spend time figuring it out. I like simplicity.

I can honestly say that some of my best shows were with a Fishman Matrix straight into a preamp/di and out to the board. I can't say the Matrix consistently sounds good, but I can still think of the times where it was warm, fat and natural sounding. We did once as a band also go completely unplugged for a show and that was very fun.
Old 09-25-2022, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

I am a firm believer in simplicity. For years it was just a vocal mic and guitar straight into whatever system I chose based on the venue. Recently I added an EAE Gigmix and that one piece of equipment actually added to the simplicity of my live rig. Once the settings are down, all I have to do is plug it into my amp and I’m ready to go. And all of the adjustments I may need are right at my fingertips. This has been especially nice with my S1 Pro and my L1c.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 09-25-2022, 05:40 PM

Less is more have become my theme lately.
At my solo assisted living shows, I used my JBL Tower PA, my Martin CPC guitar plugged in and my Shure SM-58 mic.

I will be changing the PA in the future to an even more simply Bose S1 Pro PA.

Now my last show was as simple as I can get it.
Just me and my guitar! No sound support of any kind.
It was great!
Old 09-25-2022, 05:46 PM

I haven't had the confidence to take my Ultra Tonic equipped Crafter dread out to a gig, preferring to play it safe with Tak/Tonedexter combo.

During a recent sound-teching gig with a band I sometimes sit in with I took the Crafter and jumped on just going into an Orchid DI.

The sound was perfectly serviceable (very different) but the feeling of system simplicity was really satisfying.

I may take the plunge with a gig of my own.

Last edited by shufflebeat; 09-25-2022 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-25-2022, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Given the trouble I've been having with electronics this summer at camp, I decided to keep things simple today. Just the Stagepas 600i, no speaker stands, no Voiceprint DI, no pedalboard. My wife's Sennheiser e945 and my Neumann KMS104 and my Yamaha CPX900 direct in. A hint of reverb. Power via the Jackery 290. Everything worked flawlessly and the guitar sounded fantastic. Yamaha ART pickups are hard to beat for a good plugged in tone.

Have any of you experienced the "less is more" phenomenon?
You are missing the rest of that Axiom.

"Less is more, nothing is best."

Any time you introduce amplification then the chances for problems crop up. The best way to address the shortcomings of amplification is lots of hands-on experience.

Unfortunately, about the time we get this all figured out it's time to pack it all in!
Old 09-26-2022, 06:38 AM

I did an acoustic duo with an old friend last week.

He has a new Bose L1-Pro 8.

I have the older L1-Compact.

We both play multiple instruments, mandolin/guitars, I play some dobro, he plays harmonica.

Because he just bought the new Bose for himself, rather than bring a mixer I just brought my Bose S1-Pro and ran a line out of it into my L1-Compact (the compact only has 1 mic input and I needed 2 mics).

His new Bose is all digital and he had some problems getting it set up. I actually barely glanced at it and decided he could figure it out.

I preferred the sound of my old school setup. 2 mics and that's it, no effects, no problems. SM57 made the dobro, mandolin and J-45 sound just like they sound.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 09-26-2022, 06:54 AM

I've never got along with pedals... I try and try but...
I've been playing with a Zoom A1-Four for only the effects..ie; Compressing, EQ, etc.., and leaving off the guitar/cabinet's
Whether I every use it who knows, but simple and easy to move is what I want also.. Right now I'm planning on buying a chair with the guitar stand built in so I can get rid of another thing to haul..
Mic-Amp
Guitar-Amp
This is what I like
Old 09-26-2022, 08:17 AM

Like others, I try everything under the sun to add to my sound. Some work, some don’t work (for me, that is). I know better, but….
Having said that, I believe that everything that you put your signal through can degrade the finished sound. I do think some signal processors can sound quite nice if used correctly, but the simpler the system the cleaner the sound.
Think about playing for a dozen folks in a nice room with only your instrument and/or voice……I really like playing thru my sound system and will keep doing so, but the guitar and natural voice is difficult to beat……
Old 09-26-2022, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

I've had a bunch of of P.As, each one smaller than the last.
Now I'm down to an original Bose L-1, with a Rode NT1 (large condenser) into a modest mixer, and a small powered Yamaha monitor that I found in the attic as a second speaker i.e NOT a monitor).

It can fill a hall with 500 seats (listening audience) and it can pick up a trio with no issues.

As far as "fx" reverb, until you can hear it then back one notch.

I keep getting compliments about the clarity of the sound.
Old 09-26-2022, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Yesterday for home rehearsal I just ran my Sennheiser e935 mic directly into my Bugera AC60, same with my GPC-28E.. which has one of Fishman's higher-end Aura Enhance VT pickups.... and man it all sounded great.

Helps when the simplicity is based on good components, but I was impressed.
Old 09-26-2022, 12:50 PM

My wife and I have been (performing / teaching / collaborating / ?) yoga to live music. She has her headset mic and I have my guitar and mic. We have two Kustom PA50s that we can use to get W I D E spread for outdoor events. Since it's yoga, we don't need much volume and no effects. The last class was an indoor studio so we just left all electronics in the van and were purely acoustic. Very natural, organic, free-range, whatever adjective you want to use.

Namaste
Old 09-26-2022, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
I've never got along with pedals... I try and try but...
I've been playing with a Zoom A1-Four for only the effects..ie; Compressing, EQ, etc.., and leaving off the guitar/cabinet's
Whether I every use it who knows, but simple and easy to move is what I want also.. Right now I'm planning on buying a chair with the guitar stand built in so I can get rid of another thing to haul..
Mic-Amp
Guitar-Amp
This is what I like
You already have your case, right?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification