The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-23-2022, 12:35 PM

Default Saddle fell out ..now loud Hum thru PA

Hi,
I have a Lefty Taylor T5z that I had a (great sounding) Duncan Wavelength Under Saddle Piezo installed on. Had it done 2 years ago. 2weeks ago when I was cleaning the guitar and changing strings, the Saddle fell out. I tried it at a gig for the first time since then last Friday, and the hum was too loud, so I had to do my Solo Gig with the Taylor Electronics. (I have 2 separate Outputs for Piezo/Taylor). I don't care for the Taylor T5z "Acoustic Sound", so I really need this taken care of. When I touch the Piezo Endpin or the Jack at the Guitar Input, it stops. Could I have messed up in putting the Saddle back on or doing something to that Strip underneath it?
I just put 2 new AA Lithium Energizers in..and it's still doing it.
Thanks gang,
Tommy
Old 10-23-2022, 01:28 PM

You might have broken the ground wire.
Old 10-23-2022, 02:33 PM

If disturbing the saddle is the root cause, then the coax transducer might have been damaged. Generally they are indestructible (unlike a Fishman Matrix) but the installer does need to be careful to slant the drilled hole to minimize the max bend the coax is exposed to as it enters the saddle slot. Maybe the saddle disturbance was able to damage an already marginal UST.

Now the bad news is the Baggs Element UST used by Duncan is soldered to the Wavelength preamp, and a genuine replacement Element UST is close to $75 and will still need to be soldered. You can probably get a knock-off UST for a lot less. I only found Fishman Sonitone copies looking quickly on eBay which is probably close enough.

If you are skilled with a soldering iron then this is a nice little project. If not, maybe a new Wavelength is the right solution.

If it was my guitar I would take the strings off and see if gently manipulating the UST with a toothpick (not your fingers) changes the hum. If it does, that confirms it is broken.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair