The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-22-2022, 03:28 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Age-ism. Have you experienced it?

I know this is a tough subject for many of us but: Can you say with relative certainty that there have been times when you've either not gotten a gig or lost one after a period of time due to age-ism? I recently lost a long-term steady gig and although I'm certain there were other factors I strongly suspect that my age (70) factored at least a bit of the owner's decision to terminate the gig. FWIW, I can say with certainty that it was not a question of ability; I'm sure I'm playing better now than ever. I might be able to make a case for my repertoire, although I'm adding songs by younger songwriters all the time and they figure prominently in every performance.

To quote my 6 y.o. grand daughter's favorite song, I know I should just "Let it Go" but that is difficult after 12 years of a regular, steady gig.

I'd be very interested in hearing stories of others who have dealt with this. No whining though, just the facts! ;~)

Gene
Old 09-22-2022, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

That's always sad to hear! Could it have been financial concerns for the establishment's owner that compelled him to end your gigs? Were you replaced by another performer?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-22-2022, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
I know this is a tough subject for many of us but: Can you say with relative certainty that there have been times when you've either not gotten a gig or lost one after a period of time due to age-ism? I recently lost a long-term steady gig and although I'm certain there were other factors I strongly suspect that my age (70) factored at least a bit of the owner's decision to terminate the gig. FWIW, I can say with certainty that it was not a question of ability; I'm sure I'm playing better now than ever. I might be able to make a case for my repertoire, although I'm adding songs by younger songwriters all the time and they figure prominently in every performance.

To quote my 6 y.o. grand daughter's favorite song, I know I should just "Let it Go" but that is difficult after 12 years of a regular, steady gig.

I'd be very interested in hearing stories of others who have dealt with this. No whining though, just the facts! ;~)

Gene
Oh Yes, I'm 74 and set up a little pub gig circuit about 15 years ago when I retired. I had a nice regular gigh in one pub, but they suddenly dumped me "for somebody younger" made no bones of it. I took it as a real message - I stopped doing pub gigs - I realised that playing ti non listening audiences was not what I wanted to do anyway.

I've just returned from a second rehearsal with a band, who are very welcoming but probably twenty years younger than me.

It's always good to be playing my dobro and mandolin again, but its just too loud and I'm not into playing in airless rehearsal rooms any more.
Old 09-22-2022, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Not really, no.

I suspect I will though because I’m simply not going to play the music that is permeating the culture at present. We play restaurants, wineries and breweries. When older people stop frequenting these places, I guess we’ll be hanging it up.

Last edited by Acousticado; 09-22-2022 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-22-2022, 04:28 PM

It’s a real thing for sure, and like was said, it’s a lot about the age of patrons. We’re in show biz and that’s a part of it. It’s disappointing for the individual but we had the upside when we were young and got gigs even though we couldn’t play as well as the old guys.
I’m 71 (and the best I’ve been) and still getting gigs but not as many. People buy tickets to our shows and I see that they’re largely old too .. it can’t keep going like that for long so I’ll take it while I can get it and hopefully be bored with it all at the appropriate time.
Old 09-22-2022, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post

Gene
Losing a steady gig sucks for sure. Did you directly ask why they were severing the relationship? I have not yet encountered this, but you never know what's next.

I often help run big live outdoor music festivals at a winery near my house. We certainly include older performers, some you've heard of and many you haven't. Additionally, the winery offers live music every weekend and there are certainly performers that are closer to old than young.

I think it all depends on a venue's market, management and customer base.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 09-22-2022, 05:08 PM

Try looking for a job in an industry that's now dominated by people 25~30 years younger than you are?

Been working for an outsourced IT company based out of India, been there for one and a half years now 100% the WORSE year and half in a 45 year career in IT

I'm being kicked to the curb, October 6th will be my last day if I don't find something to do by then.

Here's ME holding my breath looking for another account to slide into.

everyone loves their cheap labor, don't matter they don't have a clue.

sigh--.. It is what it is.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 09-22-2022, 05:23 PM

[QUOTE=Russ C;7092192]We’re in show biz and that’s a part of it.

Yes, it's just that simple...and no, it's certainly nothing new.
Old 09-22-2022, 05:25 PM

I'm not saying it wasn't ageism - who'd they replace you with? That would be additional useful info.
Old 09-22-2022, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

Hi Gene,

I'm sorry you lost this gig.

I kind of think that if it looks like a duck, it probably is. As others have intimated, it would be interesting to know if you are being replaced by another performer and if so, are they younger, perhaps playing newer music?

I'm really sorry for this setback.

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 09-22-2022 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-22-2022, 06:34 PM

Being nice to the owner, maybe he got the itch for something new. got bored after all those years. That happens too.

Legally, he can't fire you because of your age. He has to find another excuse, which is always easy to do.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 09-22-2022, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
Try looking for a job in an industry that's now dominated by people 25~30 years younger than you are?...
I'm in my early 60s and first became aware of "age-sim" in my early 40s, as I was disqualified from many jobs due to the cut-off age of 40 that many companies had back then.

Tommy
Old 09-22-2022, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Being nice to the owner, maybe he got the itch for something new. got bored after all those years. That happens too.

Legally, he can't fire you because of your age. He has to find another excuse, which is always easy to do.
You may not have the same protections afforded to company employees if you're gigging.

Tommy

Last edited by tommieboy; 09-22-2022 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-22-2022, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommieboy View Post
I'm in my early 60s and first became aware of "age-sim" in my early 40s, as I was disqualified from many jobs due to the cut-off age of 40 that many companies had back then.

Tommy

right and no one would dare admit it, but it's there, it's real and you can't get around it

discrimination, period.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 09-22-2022, 07:29 PM

Gene, so sorry this happened to you! I know you really enjoyed your Sunday a.m. café gigs (assuming this was the one) as sort of a mainstay of your week.

Hope another might surface that takes its place.

Best,
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion