The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-18-2022, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
The G&L is out of stock at Sweetwater, but they have this Strat
The Player series is highly regarded as a real value, my buddy bought one and is totally pleased

FYI --Musicians Friend has a couple HSS player models on sale for $649 ( With one Humbucker and two Single Coils --thus the HSS designation ) which will give both humbucker and single coil tonal options

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...BoCOvsQAvD_BwE

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 09-18-2022, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Even though I paid the asking price for a Player Telecaster, I do think Fender is pushing the limits at $849. I really had to think long and hard before pushing my budget that far but dang, I really liked that Tele!

Guitar Center/Musicians Friend frequently cycles through having one specific color and style of Player Teles and/or Strats on sale for $649 which is a far better value IMO. I'll admit they often pick colorways that are far from my first choice but other than that it's the same specs, same guitar as the ones that normally go for $200 more.

So if you want to take a shot, both Sweetwater and MF will let you send one back if it doesn't suit you. I say go for it, if you really love that Tidewater blue with the white 'guard and maple 'board then what the heck spend the 200 bucks. But if the "Sienna Burst" looks OK I'd go for the one on sale at MF.

I've participated in this thread for a while without being self-indulgent but all this talk of colors and models of Player Series guitars has worn me down. Sorry but I just can't resist posting my own choice of color combinations...

Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 09-18-2022, 01:58 PM

I”ll match your two single coils and raise you a humbucker, Brent!
Your telecaster is gorgeous.

frank d.

Last edited by Chickee; 09-18-2022 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-18-2022, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
I”ll match your two single coils and raise you a humbucker, Brent!
Your telecaster is gorgeous[emoji445]

I love it, black on black on black on black. Body, 'guard, pickups, even the knobs. Very cool.
Old 09-18-2022, 02:07 PM

Brent, that Telecaster is the one you just picked up? What a knockout! Crisp and clean to the max. Enjoy it in good health always.
fd
Old 09-18-2022, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Brent, that Telecaster is the one you just picked up? What a knockout! Crisp and clean to the max. Enjoy it in good health always.
fd
Yes, two weeks ago. That particular dealer had two, the other one had a brown burst finish that I've seen pretty often. I tried my best to give them both an equal demo but I kept playing the burst one for like 30 seconds then switching back to the black one for 10 minutes. Probably not a fair fight, if I'm honest.

Then I was settling up at the cash register and standing beside a display rack with dozens of straps on it. I saw that red peacock pattern one peeking out from behind others and just had to have it (although I had other straps at home).
Old 09-18-2022, 09:36 PM

I agree with Brent, and highly recommend the Fender player series Tele.I picked this one up for $170 off the normal price a few years ago because GC had a special deal on the color. It’s been a great guitar and I’ve reached it for quite a lot I was mostly a start player when it comes to electrics but my Strat hasn’t seen near as much action as my Tele since acquiring it. I think it would be a good electric for an acoustic player experimenting with electrics.

I also own an Epiphone Sheraton which I think would fit the bill nicely. Here’s a pic of my Player Tele.

Old 09-18-2022, 09:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
The Player series is highly regarded as a real value, my buddy bought one and is totally pleased

FYI --Musicians Friend has a couple HSS player models on sale for $649 ( With one Humbucker and two Single Coils --thus the HSS designation ) which will give both humbucker and single coil tonal options

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...BoCOvsQAvD_BwE
So with one H and two S you have the option to use any combo of the three pickups?

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 09-19-2022, 03:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
So with one H and two S you have the option to use any combo of the three pickups?
On a normal SSS Stratocaster you have a 5-way switch. You can use the bridge, middle or neck pickups alone (switch positions 1, 3 and 5) or you can do two "in between" positions that are bridge+middle and middle+neck combinations.

I'm pretty sure the HSS switching works the same. It's just that the bridge pickup is a humbucker so it sounds different. Some people find the Strat's single-coil bridge sound less than ideal especially when played with distortion. So positions 1 and 2 (bridge and bridge+middle) will have a big thicker sound on the HSS.

The only real difference in the way controls work on an HSS Strat is there's a separate tone control for just that humbucker. In a normal Strat wiring there's one tone control that affects all three pickups. The humbucker and extra tone control are to give HSS Strat owners an ability to dial in just a hint of a more Les Paul type bridge tone while still doing the classic Strat stuff in positions 2, 3 and 4.
Old 09-19-2022, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Hi, Barry... Yep, you're entering one long and winding rabbit hole by going into electric guitars and amps, without a doubt! Less expensive piece-by-piece than an acoustic but FAR MORE pieces that can be acquired! Lots of fun, though...

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but you might want to play a Strat for a bit before you buy one... as a primarily acoustic player my whole life, one thing about Strats that I could never get used to is the lack of any distance between the strings and the pickguard/pickups... my picking fingers and pick always seem to get hung up on one of those pickups!

I don't have any issues at all with my Gibson ES-345 or with a Gretsch, either... and somehow, the position of the pickups on a Tele doesn't bother my right hand at all, but man! With a Strat, I have fits with any type of playing technique other than a very flat strum, like a funk rhythm or such.

So, try before you leap! Good luck with whatever you decide...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 09-19-2022, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

I have a few Teles… a Vintera base relic that I bought because it looked unique, and a Classic Vibe that I have been tweaking.

I did pull the trigger on a Player Series Buttercream Strat… I should have it by the weekend. I really think there isn’t much you can’t do on any guitar, but especially so with a Strat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7D8C9B66-D52F-4D71-AC32-D706FD3F12FA.jpg (14.9 KB, 80 views)
Old 09-19-2022, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Thanks! I'm on the fence. I'll see what happens. I can see myself spending hours getting down leads and playing with backing tracks - not sure if that will help my acoustic playing though!

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 09-19-2022, 11:47 PM

For an electric that does everything:
1. Nashville Tele
2. Semi-hollow with PAF type pickups
3. HSS super strat with a coil splitter for the bridge.
Old 09-20-2022, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks! I'm on the fence. I'll see what happens. I can see myself spending hours getting down leads and playing with backing tracks - not sure if that will help my acoustic playing though!
Hi Barry,

I don't think playing electric will help your acoustic playing. If that's why you're thinking about an electric guitar, I think the best way to improve acoustic playing is playing acoustic.

To me, though, the electric guitar is a similar but different world, where you can take some of your guitar skills and make very different sounds. It's very much up to you about what kind of sounds you make. You do need to watch out for your ears. But with some measure of care, electric guitars can be a lot of fun, especially building multi-track arrangements.

As just one example, I took Townes Van Zandt's "Poncho and Lefty," normally played as a country song, and made it into more of a Mark Knopfler kind of thing using a Strat for some of the lead stuff.

Note that I used no amplifier for the Strat tone at all. I plugged straight in to my computer interface input and then used Guitar Rig as a plug-in to my Cubase recording software. Guitar Rig 6 has some very nice amplifier sounds and costs way less than an amplifier. I have never replaced any tubes in it, either.

You can use Guitar Rig as a stand-alone amplifier in your computer as long as you have a computer interface. You don't need to use a recording system like Cubase or ProTools to use something like Guitar Rig.

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 09-20-2022 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-20-2022, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
….the easy answer is a tele and a Princeton…..but having an idea of what one is planning to play on said electric guitar may help inform the choice…
I would type reverb after Princeton, but yes! Telecasters are such versatile and satisfying simple machines. It is so great how one of the originals is so loved generations later.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars