The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-16-2022, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

That's near enough MiM Player Strat price, pretty steep for a Squire in my opinion.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 09-16-2022, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

I did a lot of research before getting a nice strat (Godin Progression Plus) and a cheap G&L tele (ASAT), and they are both excellent guitars, but I don't play them because they are just too heavy (I didn't think to include weight in my research), even playing on my lap, which makes my leg fall asleep, although maybe my playing bores it to sleep, LOL.

The strat weighs around 8.5 lbs., and the tele weighs about 7.5 lbs., so the tele at least is not as bad as a lot of electrics out there, but I still found it annoyingly heavy.

So I went to the extreme and got an Ibanez Q54, which is one of those ugly, headless monstrosities, but it weighs less than 5 lbs., and is extremely comfortable to play for hours, and it sounds great! For looks, I'd rather have something with old school vibes, so a polar opposite to what I've got, but looks have to come second to comfort for me.
Old 09-16-2022, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
….I’d prefer a Classic Vibe Strat…not a fan of the gold hardware…the anodized guard…large headstock or the block inlays on the 40 th Anniversary….but aesthetics are a personal consideration and I’d bet that the Anniversary model plays and sounds terrific…
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
That's near enough MiM Player Strat price, pretty steep for a Squire in my opinion.

The 40th Anniversary Editions from Squier are the flagship models this year. Jam packed with iconic Fender goodness.

Aside from the gold hardware, as Patrick had mentioned, I am a huge fan of the anodized pick-guards, the bound and blocked necks, and most of all the big, beautiful CBS era headstocks! Those guitars scream Fender histrionics.

But, and there is always a but, as Brent says, at $600 beans I too would throw in another $300 bucks and get a Player Stratocaster that is a Made In Mexico model. I’m not in any way downplaying the Squier, BUT, that three hundred bucks buys better hardware, better wood, better finished product.

That’s just me. I have become very spoiled over the years. The top dog Squier is an exceptional guitar, no doubt about it.
Old 09-16-2022, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

I probably ought to cop to the inherent bias in my previous post. Two weeks ago I brought home a MiM Player Telecaster with which I've formed a possibly unhealthy attachment. So I probably have a tendency to answer any Strat or Tele question with "Hard to beat those MiM Player models".
Old 09-16-2022, 06:13 PM

Quote:
I probably ought to cop to the inherent bias in my previous post. Two weeks ago I brought home a MiM Player Telecaster with which I've formed a possibly unhealthy attachment. So I probably have a tendency to answer any Strat or Tele question with "Hard to beat those MiM Player models".
So Brent, Why the MIM Player Tele instead of a Squier Classic Vibe Tele or Anniversary Tele? You are the perfect demographic based on the timeliness of your purchase.
Old 09-16-2022, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

I'll try to edit my personal story down for length...

Jan 2022 I decided to make a switch from acoustic to electric. Did some perfunctory online "research" and was going to get a Squier hardtail Strat at Guitar Center. Very affordable.

Tried it, liked the light weight and compact body, did not care for what felt like a narrow and skinny neck. And all the ones I saw at GC were a bit rough-and-ready about the fretboard if you know what I mean.

So after a false start with an inexpensive Schecter I ended up with an Ibanez "super-strat" style RG. Suited me pretty well, thin but wide neck, flat fretboard (which I thought I liked but quickly found out was not the best for me) and I kind of figured that's what I'd stick with for a year or two or three.

Fast forward to late August. I picked up a MiM Player Tele, started playing it in the store and didn't want to put it down. Ran the racks and played several more, as well as some other Squier and Fender Telecasters. Something about the combination of neck shape, fretboard radius, frets, balance of the guitar, the whole package on the MiM Players was just night-and-day different for me.

That's a highly personal, idiosyncratic thing. No idea at all if Barry would have anything like the same experience. The first Player Tele I picked up was actually a used one that could have passed for new, selling for $575. I never buy a guitar without going back to play it on a second day and when I went back someone had snagged it. But a week later I found one I liked every bit as much and splurged beyond my budget on the $849 retail cost of a new one.
Old 09-16-2022, 07:49 PM

Classic vibe strat or tele and a blues jr. Right under $1k
Old 09-17-2022, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
You still haven't stated a budget range BUT
At that price point I would take a look at the G&L Tribute S-500 or as mentioned add some money and look at the FenderPlayer series
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...itar-irish-alehttps://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...itar-irish-ale

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 09-17-2022, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
You still haven't stated a budget range BUT
At that price point I would take a look at the G&L Tribute S-500 or as mentioned add some money and look at the FenderPlayer series
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...itar-irish-alehttps://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...itar-irish-ale
Kev,

Does the G&L Tribute range have any hardtail Strats? That might be a cool option if they do. It's the one serious lack in the Fender Player lineup IMO.
Old 09-17-2022, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
….the easy answer is a tele and a Princeton…..but having an idea of what one is planning to play on said electric guitar may help inform the choice…
I have not read the other answers, apologies. There is nothing you can't cover with a Tele/Princeton with the exception of full on metal and for that you're only a pedal or two away. There's really no reason to make it any harder than this.
Old 09-17-2022, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Kev,

Does the G&L Tribute range have any hardtail Strats? That might be a cool option if they do. It's the one serious lack in the Fender Player lineup IMO.
I don't think so they tend to tout the Fulcrum vibroto from their web site ---Leo Fender-designed Dual-Fulcrum vibrato, a work of engineering art which allows bending up or down with unsurpassed stability, while offering a silky feel through its beefy aluminum vibrato arm.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 09-17-2022 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-17-2022, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Okay, how about this one?

Fender Telecaster

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 09-17-2022, 12:04 PM

Like KevWind I like G&L. I wanted a very flexible electric guitar and picked a G&L Tribute Comanche. It's really nice. I definitely wanted a trem because that's an iconic sound that I wanted to have in my arsenal. Part of the reason I picked G&L was that the trem is highly regarded.

In general terms I think a strat, maybe in HSS configuration, is a pretty good all-around choice.

I am also a big, big fan of modelers. Authentic tube amps are super cool. But a modeler like a Helix gives you a huge variety in amps/cabs and effects. Part of the fun of electric guitars is piling on reverb, drive, chorus, compression, EQ, delay, etc etc etc. A modern modeler gives you a stack of amps and cabs and big sack of virtual pedals to play with for one entry cost.

If I eventually become discerning enough to think, "wow this modeled Princeton really sucks," so be it. But for now, I am having tons of fun.
Old 09-17-2022, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Fender Telecaster
I have played (demo'd) one almost just like that and liked it a lot. It was a slightly older model with a black pickguard but the same pickups and neck, etc.

In the end, I had a slightly preference for the normal single-coil Telecaster pickup sounds but both the humbuckers and single-coils are nice.
Old 09-17-2022, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Fender Telecaster
I think what you need to do as I suggested, is first try to determine the pickup type you think you would be most interested in tone wise. Because you have just jumped from a three single coil Strat to a 2 humbucker Tele which are going to give very different tonal responses ????????????????

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars