The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-30-2022, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
Curiously, I reached out to Redding Audio, and was surprised when I was told they had not heard of the issue, nor have they received the mics, which were shipped back to VK on the 16th. This is very odd!
There are plenty of reasons that could have happened. VK might be checking the mic on their end. Maybe VK ships returns on scheduled days so it might still be in their possession or is perhaps in the mail and going the slowest/cheapest way possible to save some money. Maybe the person at VK who handles that stuff is out sick or on vacation. Unless we know all the minute details about how both companies conduct their business, we can't really know that what is going on is at all unusual.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 09-30-2022, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
There are plenty of reasons that could have happened. VK might be checking the mic on their end. Maybe VK ships returns on scheduled days so it might still be in their possession or is perhaps in the mail and going the slowest/cheapest way possible to save some money. Maybe the person at VK who handles that stuff is out sick or on vacation. Unless we know all the minute details about how both companies conduct their business, we can't really know that what is going on is at all unusual.
VK checked them on their end, and did not find a problem, and I was told they were relisting them as used. That is their prerogative, however, the mics were not up to my standard as a Schoeps product. The capsule on one of them was relatively difficult to unscrew and screw onto the other, to the point where I was afraid it could cross-thread, and I have careful hands. The main thing was the dancing of my VU meter, audible noise, and even when the VU meter and noise would subside, but never completely, my DAW(Logic) track signal was showing some signal while the other channel was dead quiet. I trouble shot this up and down, even called Avalon the make sure it wasn’t my preamp, etc. I guess I can’t say with 100% certainty if the problem was something else or not, and I am highly doubt whether their method of testing the mics was as extensive as mine or capable of even seeing the problem, this would be something I personally would leave to the manufacturer to determine. Bottom line, I had good reason to believe the mics were faulty.

Anyway, reset, try again!

Rick
Old 10-01-2022, 11:36 AM

I had one of my cmc6 preamps go bad. It was under warranty. It became quite noisy, and the problem went wherever that preamp went. I sent the mic, my description of the problem, and audio clips of the noisy cmc6 vs the other one to the folks at Redding. It took like a month for the whole repair considering travel time to/from Schoeps, but the guys at Redding were great to work with on the issue. I would not hesitate to deal directly with them in the future -- good communications throughout the process.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 10-13-2022, 09:46 AM

Ya, the good folks at Redding Audio hooked me up and the mics are in transit.
Old 10-13-2022, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
Ya, the good folks at Redding Audio hooked me up and the mics are in transit.
Redding Audio is a class act. Glad they have taken care of it.

Can't wait to hear your further tests with Schoeps! Hope you love yours as much as I love mine.
Old 10-15-2022, 10:40 AM

My wife thinks I am overly obsessed, but the first deal fell through after a long wait, and now this new set is traveling FedEx ground from the east coast to the west coast. I am closely tracking their progress, on edge, hoping for a smooth transaction. They arrive on Monday.

Obsessively, Rick
Old 10-16-2022, 03:24 PM

The mics arrived today, plugged them in, and no issues. VU meters are dead calm!

Rick

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD