The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-19-2022, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
I'm lucky that I bought my OM and put in an order for a 7 string before his price hike. With hands on experience, I'm willing to buy from Michel.
Good timing, mate. Michel is a rosette (and bridge master). Enjoy both your instruments!
David
Old 09-19-2022, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

I own a custom 0 12 fret and two 00 12 frets.

1) You need to like the timbre of the guitars made by the builder you choose preferably after playing some of their work
2) Don’t be biased by aesthetic aspects and tonewoods until you know you like how their guitars sound
3) Choose a builder who has made many 0 and 00 guitars (small guitars require adjustments in building best understood through experience)

Good Luck…
Old 09-20-2022, 08:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

I make two styles of 00 guitars. One is a Martin style of course and the other is loosely based on the old Gibson L-00 which to my eye has a very pleasing shape. I'm making one for the artisan show this spring. This has a walnut body laminated with sycamore and lined with palonia which is a very musical and very light wood.
Old 09-20-2022, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzereh View Post
No rule says you can't have the body built with a bit more depth than 0 or 00 sizes might ordinarily have. That would give you more 'bass' sound
But if you DO want to have Martin specs, note that the 0 is deeper than the 00 by 1/8" while the 00 is wider than the 0 (of course) 13& 1/2" vs 14 & 1/8"

Standard nut width on Martins were 1 & 7/8" but I'd spec 1 & 13/16". Both have same 24.9" scale.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop