The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-07-2022, 10:54 AM

Default How do you minimize sting squeak/noise

What is your approach to minimizing string squeak/noise on your classical?
  • Technique?
  • Using a certain brand/type of string?
  • Using a product like Finger Ease?
  • Some other approach?
  • None of the above - I like string squeak/noise

I'm wanting to make some decent recordings with my classical, and from previous recording experience with my steel string acoustic, I've found "the tape doesn't lie" when it comes to string squeak/noise.

I think it can be easy to overlook these sounds when you are just sitting at home playing. But when you hear it back on a good recording, these extraneous sounds tend to really jump out.
Old 09-07-2022, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Most string noise I get is with string slides. Say your piece includes a slide from to second to fifth fret on the sixth string. Good luck eliminating any string noise from that though you can experiment. Fingertips as smooth as possible (no calluses, perhaps polish fingertips with fine polishing cloth, perhaps soak fingers in warm water (will not last long though). I have used Finger Ease many years ago and it does help but I did not like using that type of thing.

I'm pretty good avoid string noise but there is always some especially on wound string slides.
For example on my recording below there is a bit but pretty minimal IMO.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-07-2022, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Most string noise I get is with string slides. Say your piece includes a slide from to second to fifth fret on the sixth string. Good luck eliminating any string noise from that though you can experiment. Fingertips as smooth as possible (no calluses, perhaps polish fingertips with fine polishing cloth, perhaps soak fingers in warm water (will not last long though). I have used Finger Ease many years ago and it does help but I did not like using that type of thing.

I'm pretty good avoid string noise but there is always some especially on wound string slides.
For example on my recording below there is a bit but pretty minimal IMO.

Hey, that sounds great! I had to really concentrate to hear any string noise. Well done.
Old 09-07-2022, 11:46 AM

This is one of the recordings I referred to in my initial post. A friend gave me some free studio time and I recorded a few songs. But I had so little time and the project was so rushed, I didn't really have time to sit back and listen. I just had to knock out the songs bam, bam, bam in one or two takes. When I did finally get to hear the recordings I was pretty bummed out at the string noise.

One issue which I think may have come into play was that the sound of my guitar in my headphones was really hot, which caused me to pick with less volume than I normally would have. I think the ratio of string noise to played notes was higher because of that. Live and learn.

Old 09-07-2022, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

I don't think it's possible to totally eliminate them, especially with fresh strings.
But there are ways to mitigate the extra noise.
Your first two items, technique and string type, are what I try to use, with technique probably the most effective, such as raising your fretting fingers slightly above the string when making a shift. That works pretty well and keeps your fingers in position. Really listen when practicing, and focus on making as clean a shift as you can.
Some strings are quieter than others. Polished basses squeak less than most imo, but there is variation amongst the brands. You have to experiment with what works best for you.
There's also a "goldilocks" period when the strings have broken in, squeak less, and still sound good. I usually keep mine on as long as I can, i.e. if the windings aren't shredding, the stay on. I don't really mind the sound of older bass strings, as long as they still play and intonate well.
But even the very best virtuosos squeak some. They can almost time it to be as rhythmic as possible.
Some of the classic pieces by Villa-Lobos have patterns that repeat themselves all over the neck, which is nice from a fingering point of view, but challenging when it comes to playing them clean, because of the usual quick tempo.
Listen here to Manuel Barrueco (as elite a guitarist as it gets) play Etude #1 by V-L. It's not very long, but it includes one of those patterns I was referring to, starting at about the 45 second mark. It's a squeak-a-rama, but he gets away with it.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 09-07-2022, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

if I take out my hearing aids, all of that high frequency noise just disappears!
Old 09-07-2022, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post
This is one of the recordings I referred to in my initial post. A friend gave me some free studio time and I recorded a few songs. But I had so little time and the project was so rushed, I didn't really have time to sit back and listen. I just had to knock out the songs bam, bam, bam in one or two takes. When I did finally get to hear the recordings I was pretty bummed out at the string noise.

One issue which I think may have come into play was that the sound of my guitar in my headphones was really hot, which caused me to pick with less volume than I normally would have. I think the ratio of string noise to played notes was higher because of that. Live and learn.

That sounded really good! I think you're being overly critical of yourself. Sure, there are squeaks, but it's not distracting from the music imo.
Good job! (That's a steel stringer, right?)
I wonder too if, for recordings, some of that extra noise can also be digitally eliminated.
Still a good idea for us all to practice playing as cleanly as possible. Something that I always need to work at.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 09-07-2022, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post

Very nice. Pretty much all the string noise was on slides, even the one fret slides. If there is time and it does not harm the legato goals a lift on rather than slide could be done.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-07-2022, 04:12 PM

Playing slow scales as legato as possible helps, to find the source of and reduce LH squeaks. Often the problem is that the finger is not lifting straight off of the string, IME. A-flat major in first position is a good one for me, since getting my guitar to sound good in that area is not easy, and the stretches are relatively wide. I creep up on it so that I don't hurt my hand.

Last edited by Carey; 09-07-2022 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-07-2022, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Using a certain brand/type of string?
Using a product like Finger Ease?
D'Addario EJ45LP
and bert's bees hand salve

My playing style has many slides...I used to polish the wound strings with very fine sand paper (1000 to 8000grit) till I discovered the EJ45LP (LP=lightly polished)

The Bert's Bees helps too - it builds up on the strings so a quick rub down w/cloth is suggested.
Old 09-07-2022, 04:45 PM

I would like to try the lightly-polished EJ45LPs. What Andre said above about the bass strings applies for me as well, though I change my low E fairly often.
Old 09-07-2022, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Best technique to eliminate squeaking is to not slide fingers on strings 4, 5 and 6.

D’Addario EJ51 strings minimize finger squeaks on strings 4, 5 and 6.

There may be other strings that also reduce or eliminate finger squeaks, but those are the only ones that I used for the purpose of eliminating finger squeaks.
Old 09-09-2022, 06:41 AM

Thanks guys! Very helpful!

I'm working on my technique and already seeing progress.

And I talked with Chris Hardy at JustStings.com and found I can buy the 3 wound strings from the EJ51 set and the 3 treble strings from the EJ44 set.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical