The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-05-2022, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
That is factually incorrect. The S2 line is MIA - But pickups and some electronics are MIK and the assembled with MIA bodies/necks, etc. in the Maryland factory.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...VJFZTTjO1AiKiM

FWIW - I had an S2 standard 22 which was an amazing feeling and playing guitar that covered a lot of bases (coil tapping).
Thank You for the correction....
Old 09-09-2022, 02:17 AM

Default Recommendation on PRS Guitar

Beautiful guitar. Gotta hand it to PRS for being a master of marketing his product. The fact that there’s FOUR tiers of their MIA guitars is quite something. It starts with the S2 line, which are excellent instruments but without the fancy tops, and with cheap pickups from the SE line. Then there’s the CE line, which they have absolutely nothing to envy Gibson or Fender’s MIA offerings. Oh yeah they do cost about the same as a Les Paul standard. Then there’s the core line, and then there’s the 10 top, and wood library, and ultimately the often sold at or very close to five digit Private Stock.

I’ve owned 3 PRS guitars. A 2016 S2 standard 22, a 2014 SC245, and a 2019 SE Mark Holcomb. Right now just the Holcomb remains. Wish that wasn’t the case, but the core had to be sold due to an emergency. But quite frankly, the core was my least favorite to play. Certainly the prettiest, but maybe the 24.5 scale didn’t get along with me. The Holcomb plays the best hands down. The S2 was the most versatile with split coil and it had JB/Jazz pickups.

Long story short, the overseas made PRS happened to be my favorite one. Don’t let the fact that it’s not American made deter you, you can have a great PRS guitar for just under $1000. If you must have MIA, I did sell my SC245 for $2100, so it’s always better to go used. They’re expensive, but don’t hold much value.

Old 09-09-2022, 03:55 AM

I’ve been eyeing the Vela model online. Looks really interesting.

Bang for the buck used on older PRS CE’s like the one I have is pretty incredible.

If I was seriously in the market for another PRS I’d look at those two options, but a Vela seems to be an entirely different guitar than all the rest of the lines, so it’s almost not like getting ‘a PRS’, in a way.

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 09-12-2022, 11:29 AM

Default buy one great guitar

I agree with Rick that putting your money into one great guitar is a great idea. There seems to be two schools of thought with guitars:

1- have many of different types, sounds and options, or
2- put your money into one or two great instruments and focus there.

I have had a few acoustics (like 6) and have traded/bought/sold and now have just two; a Taylor 814ce and an Alvarez Yairi dreadnought with old mahogany. Both instruments cost >$3000 and I'm so pleased to play both.

I have had a few cheaper instruments and a few targeted instruments (a blues box, a country box), but didn't bond with them.

I've been contemplating purchasing an electric guitar and PRS American made seem to be a great all-around choice! I like the split pick-up idea to get both single coil and humbucker sounds with just one instrument. I'd like to play a semi-hollow and a hollow-body, but the OP is on the right track in my view!
Old 09-12-2022, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ Rich View Post
I agree with Rick that putting your money into one great guitar is a great idea. There seems to be two schools of thought with guitars:

I have had a few acoustics (like 6) and have traded/bought/sold and now have just two; a Taylor 814ce and an Alvarez Yairi dreadnought with old mahogany. Both instruments cost >$3000 and I'm so pleased to play both.

I have had a few cheaper instruments and a few targeted instruments (a blues box, a country box), but didn't bond with them.

I've been contemplating purchasing an electric guitar and PRS American made seem to be a great all-around choice! I like the split pick-up idea to get both single coil and humbucker sounds with just one instrument. I'd like to play a semi-hollow and a hollow-body, but the OP is on the right track in my view!

I’d highly recommend the S2 standard 22. American made, and with split coil, and most importantly, some go for under $1500.
Old 09-12-2022, 05:24 PM

I own a few electric guitars (and many others over the years). I owned 2 PRS guitars i the past and sold both. They just were not for me I guess. Recently I bought a DGT model PRS and am in love with it. It has all the vintage sounds I would want from my other guitars and feels fantastic. So I guess all PRS models are not alike, at least from my perspective.

This one also was a wood library model so it is purdy.

Last edited by T3mp; 09-12-2022 at 05:25 PM. Reason: post picture
Old 09-14-2022, 08:05 AM

I don’t get into the PRS vs other brands. I have ended up with two 594’s so I obviously like PRS. If you don’t care about price, go for the best now. It will save you time and headache down the line. I bought and sold many thinking I’d look for value. I finally realized I wanted what I wanted. Special, Paul’s, DGT, 594 are all amazing. Just gotta figure out what you like. I’m a huge fan of a smaller quiver regardless of cost. But others feel differently and I’m not going to waste time on the internet trying to convince them otherwise. The point about buying used to minimize loses is good, but if you don’t care about that, just buy new. It’s all good.
Old 09-15-2022, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_In_Tampa View Post
Instead of buying multiple guitars to get the particular sounds I'm looking for, and to play different genres of music, it makes sense to me to buy 1 guitar that is (for lack of a better term) the Swiss army knife version of guitars. This one seems to fit that bill as best I can tell
if you're looking for versatility, i would look at a different pickup configuration or different electronics. many would say that HSS is the most versatile configuration. some people like coil splitters on their humbuckers, but i've found that a bass roll off switch works better.

if you don't mind a battery or battery pack, i'd suggest a guitar with Fishman Fluence pickups. i've played a few guitars with them and was really impressed by how well the different voices are. for the music i like to play, the P90s and classic humbuckers are crazy versatile. both feature a classic underwound voice, a hotter and more modern overwound voice, and a Strat-like voice.
Old 09-16-2022, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ Rich View Post

I have an SE Pauls guitar. Imwas drawn bynthe idea of split coils. Maybenit is just the PUs in the SE, but they are a compromise. Not really single coils and not really HBs. Ymmv.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars