The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-22-2022, 10:40 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default THGCo…It’s time for the BIG reveal

Sitting here this morning…looking at the calendar and wondering where the last 6 months went…I’m struck with the reality that we’re just 11 short days away from the “Greatest Show on Earth”…orchestrated and presented by Tom Bowersox in New Braunfels, Texas.

Time sure has a way of running away from us, and then dropping us right at the doorstep of a long-awaited event!!!

It’s time to share with you the guitars born out of the countless hours of planning and hard work that went into Two Hand Guitar Co’s preparation for the 2022 edition of The Bowersox International Guitarpalooza.

The first guitar I’d like to show you is a “Luna” model, which is somewhat similar to 000/OM sized guitars. This particular guitar is dark and brooding…dressed in Cocobolo and Tunnel-14 Redwood…

IMG_5782.jpg

This is the first time I’ve used T-14 braces with a T-14 top, and pairing them with the Cocobolo back & sides brings out a truly full, rich voice with very pleasant overtones.

IMG_5792.jpg

I’ve not only used T-14 for the top braces…but also for the back. I really like the subtle differences in tone that this Redwood brings to the table. I’m really looking forward to the impressions from those of you who will be attending the show.

I’ll be dropping some studio pictures shortly.

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 08-22-2022, 11:51 AM
AGF Sponsor

We're getting pretty excited about seeing you and the guitars next week, Joel! The pictures you have posted are amazing. Safe travels. Dave
Old 08-22-2022, 12:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

These pictures are being loaded from Steve (TheEdwinson's) Mac so that I don't have to wrestle with the AGF app on my Ipad. This gives me the ability to upload larger formatted pictures
to show the details more effectively. Just pretend his username is mine

See what I mean when I said she looks "Dark & Brooding?" Not mean and menacing...but richly complex and soothing, like a nice warm cup of coffee on a cold and rainy morning.

Here are a couple of closeup pictures of the body. This is the first time I've built a "multi-piece," as apposed to a "one-piece," neck. It was done with intention so that I could echo the flamed-Maple purflings seen everywhere else on this guitar.
I felt that the light color of the Maple would help to frame the dark visual aesthetic seen in the rest of this guitar.

As you see from these pictures, I've used Ebony for the bindings, bridge, fingerboard and bevel cap, as well as the front and rear headplates. With the classy appearance from all of the Ebony appointments, Gold-finish Gotoh 510-mini
tuning machines were the obvious choice for this guitar. A theme you'll see repeated in the next instruments.

Stay tuned...I'll be back in a little while with the second of the three guitars I'll be bringing to B.I.G. (though I'll still be disguised within "TheEdwinson's" profile...
Old 08-22-2022, 12:26 PM

That is musical art!
Old 08-22-2022, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Stunning! Congratulations on another beauty.
Old 08-22-2022, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Shazam--absolutely beautiful!!!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 08-22-2022, 12:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

I had the great good fortune of seeing these guitars gradually, meticulously emerging out carefully selected stacks of premium tonewoods on Joel’s workbench. We both put in countless hours, bringing our show guitars to fruition, and for me, it’s a personal triumph to see Joel’s guitars all done, and radiantly shining, in anticipation of their debut at the B.I.G. Event, a week and a half from now.

You can see from these photos, how careful and exact Joel’s work is. You will never see a more cleanly and precisely built guitar than the ones Joel makes. And the truly confounding thing is, they sound even better than they look.
Old 08-22-2022, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Smile Lovely

Go Joel!!!

Mighty FINE stuff. I am a believer in the multi laminate necks. Stronger, and prettier too.

Have FUN!!!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 08-22-2022, 01:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

The second guitar that I'd like to show you is the newest model to my lineup. I brought my very first "Venus" to last year's B.I.G., and Dennis...(aka CigarFan)
snatched her up within the first 30 minutes of the show...so I decided to bring another one this year.
The "Venus" is a 12-fret 00-sized guitar, and this particular one sports an Alaskan Sitka soundboard with a subtle, yet obvious quilt-pattern in the figure. The back & sides are made from a beautifully-flamed set of Tropical Mango
which contains a fantastically-brilliant chatoyance, as well as a little bit of spalt in the figure. This particular guitar is one of my most favorite guitars to date. It's hard to explain, but her smaller stature belies her strong voice.
She has the fundamental-woodiness found in a Mahogany guitar, yet there is a rich texture to her voice that, in some ways sounds like Koa...but not exactly. I'd love to get feedback and comparisons from those of you attending the show.
It's so comfortable and easy to play...This is truly going to be a difficult one for me to let go of!!!

I used the leftover Mango from the back plates to fabricate "tiles" which I used to create the inner rosette ring...then I framed the Mango ring with Paua Abalone. Just as you saw in the previous guitar, I've used Ebony
for the bridge, fingerboard and bindings...as well as the front and rear headplates. Highly-flamed maple was used, in conjuncton with aqua-colored veneer lines, for the purflings...and was also used to bind the soundport and soundhole.

Old 08-22-2022, 01:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
That is musical art!
Thanks DavidE…I hope to see you at the show.

-joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martz911 View Post
Stunning! Congratulations on another beauty.
Thank youMartz911…I appreciate you checking out my work.

-joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Shazam--absolutely beautiful!!!
Thanks Kevin…I’ll see you soon and will look forward to your impressions of them all.

-joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
I had the great good fortune of seeing these guitars gradually, meticulously emerging out carefully selected stacks of premium tonewoods on Joel’s workbench. We both put in countless hours, bringing our show guitars to fruition, and for me, it’s a personal triumph to see Joel’s guitars all done, and radiantly shining, in anticipation of their debut at the B.I.G. Event, a week and a half from now.

You can see from these photos, how careful and exact Joel’s work is. You will never see a more cleanly and precisely built guitar than the ones Joel makes. And the truly confounding thing is, they sound even better than they look.

Thanks Steve…for everything…especially your photography skills, and the use of your computer to show off the pictures

-joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Go Joel!!!

Mighty FINE stuff. I am a believer in the multi laminate necks. Stronger, and prettier too.

Have FUN!!!

Paul
Thanks Paul…I hate we’ll be missing you at the show.

-joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 08-22-2022, 02:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

It’s hard to pick a favorite of Joel’s guitars, so I’ll just say, the Mango/Sitka 00 is my favorite one. My other favorite one is the Cocobolo/T-14 Luna. My other, other favorite one is the Bubinga guitar. I like how Joel puts these beautiful woods together with such uncomplicated elegance.
Old 08-22-2022, 02:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

The third and final guitar accompanying me to B.I.G. is called my "Solis," and is the largest model in my lineup. The "Solis" is the equivalent of an Auditorium, or 0000-sized guitar, and carries a big, full voice.
It has a plethora of layers, and blooming overtones that ring out for days. It was an original planetary body, and was born at the same time as my "Luna" model.....and together they became the Sun and the Moon.
The "Solis" has a 16' lower bout, a 25.5" scale-length, and the neck joins the body at the 13th fret. Armed with a "Laskin-style" arm bevel and a attractively bound soundport, this guitar is perfectly suited for the
modern fingerstyle musician...especially with the extra access afforded by the "Florentine Cutaway."

This guitar has a beautifully-figured Bearclaw Sitka soundboard from Alaska...and as you can see here, the chatoyance from the insane Waterfall-figure of the Bubinga back & sides is absolutely
rediculous...and possibly even dangerous!!

Well...that's it folks. I appreciate you taking the time out of your day to look through this post and for allowing me to share these guitars with you. I look forward to seeing many of you at B.I.G. and I hope those of you who won"t be making
the trip this year...will consider doing it next year. Tom and Kathy truly put on "The Greatest Show on Earth."

-joel
Old 08-22-2022, 02:46 PM

Really nice guitars you’ve put together. Congratulations.
And getting to see all the guitars you builders have been putting together to take to BIG is such a treat. Thank you
Old 08-22-2022, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Congrats Joel, that Bubinga guitar looks like it is on fire!

Sorry I am going to miss BIG for the 3rd time (Covid, Hurricane Ida, and my wife had to have back surgery last week (she’s doing fine)). I really would have loved to see you and Steve again and played your guitars.

Still loving my Edwinson, need to add a Two Hands creation in the future!
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 08-22-2022, 04:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

I'm loving it Joel. You know I think your headstock is elegant and wish I had the design chops to come up with a design that satisfying. Beautiful work all 3

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop