The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-30-2022, 08:28 AM

Default So My Nails Aren’t Great..

I am a beginner at classical guitar. I’m growing my nails out and already realizing that they are thin and flimsy, but even worse, kinda hooked on the end. Pretty much everything that one wouldn’t want for playing guitar. I’ve been taking biotin and a multi-vitamin for awhile now. That is as far as I have gotten. I’ve prowled around the net, searching for tips, but wanted to pose the problem here, for ideas. I really don’t want to do completely fake nails. Outside of that, I’m open to anything, to help make my natural nails functional for guitar playing. Thnx.
Old 01-30-2022, 08:57 AM

I’m in the same boat, OPJ77. I had to quit playing Clawhammer Banjo for the same reason. Since then, I’ve just been keeping my nails very short. One can play classical guitar with his/her bare fingers though. I guess it depends on how old one is. I’m an old guy so it won’t matter so much to play with short nails, but if you’re young and just starting out — I dunno. Maybe you’ll want to rethink playing CG.
Old 01-30-2022, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

There have been classical players who use flesh. Do what works for you.

I am a beginner and looking into nails as well, for classical and steel. My nails aren’t great, but I am not going the fake nail route.

So far, short nails seem ok. I have read a little on a myrrh oil cuticle treatment some people swear by. Who knows.

Also, I did see a lesson on nail care that suggested using a piece of very fine sand paper folded over a guitar string. You then pluck gently a whole lot to let this smooth the contact side of the nail.

This helps prevent the nail catching on the string and so far works well. I presume this also helps preserve the nail. A smooth glide over the sting will sound better, feel better and be less damaging.

https://www.classicalguitarshed.com/...l-guitar-nails
Old 01-30-2022, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

ive been very lucky over last 20 years...very strong nails for picking/plucking. however prior to that they were more fragile. i would use a nail conditioner oil or if you want an easier route, simply use nail hardener polish ( a lot of classical or fingerstyle/fingerpicker players use it) or as you said you can go the bionic route like James Taylor has for years ( happens to alot of peeps as they age, but the opposite happened for me, my nails got stronger for some reason) keeping them well manicured (that doesnt mean cutting them down!) seems to help stimulate growth for me, look after the cuticles not just the nails. Good luck but nail hardener is easiest solution i feel

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 01-30-2022, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssstewart View Post
ive been very lucky over last 20 years...very strong nails for picking/plucking. however prior to that they were more fragile. i would use a nail conditioner oil or if you want an easier route, simply use nail hardener polish ( a lot of classical or fingerstyle/fingerpicker players use it) or as you said you can go the bionic route like James Taylor has for years ( happens to alot of peeps as they age, but the opposite happened for me, my nails got stronger for some reason) keeping them well manicured (that doesnt mean cutting them down!) seems to help stimulate growth for me, look after the cuticles not just the nails. Good luck but nail hardener is easiest solution i feel
I’m worried about prolonged use of nail hardener, given the chemicals that are in most that I’ve seen.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPJ77 View Post
I’m worried about prolonged use of nail hardener, given the chemicals that are in most that I’ve seen.
Another vote for nail hardener, but applied only at the end of the fingernail (the white part) and only on the side that strikes the strings. This keeps the feeling of flexible nails on string alive while conserving the nails in good condition.

To my mind, this also minimizes exposure to chemicals since this is out and beyond the nail bed.

Old 01-30-2022, 10:08 AM

I use this:

https://www.guitarrasdeluthier.com/e...il-shield/1483

I usually buy it on Amazon.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:56 AM

I guess we just hafta do whatever we can to do whatever we wanna do. I usta use Scotch Tape on my plucking nail when I played Clawhammer Banjo. It worked, but it didn’t last long enough. You have to put it on every time you play.

I’m gonna use the info here to try to use my nails, but if it doesn’t work for me, I’ll just go with bare fingers.

The trouble is my nails crack or break sometimes just when I’m fixin’ stuff around the house.
Old 01-30-2022, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picking Dick View Post
I guess we just hafta do whatever we can to do whatever we wanna do. I usta use Scotch Tape on my plucking nail when I played Clawhammer Banjo. It worked, but it didn’t last long enough. You have to put it on every time you play.

I’m gonna use the info here to try to use my nails, but if it doesn’t work for me, I’ll just go with bare fingers.

The trouble is my nails crack or break sometimes just when I’m fixin’ stuff around the house.
Same. I’m hooked on classical guitar. I will play however my genetics or technology mandates. I just want the opportunity to try with nails. My Yairi is cedar/mahogany. It sounds great with bare fingers but I think nails could really help it’s tone blossom.
Old 01-30-2022, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfreydaniel View Post
I use this:

https://www.guitarrasdeluthier.com/e...il-shield/1483

I usually buy it on Amazon.
How prominent have your results been?
Old 01-30-2022, 11:57 AM

Anyone ever tried silk wraps?
Old 01-30-2022, 12:11 PM

I wonder why, after all these years, no one ever invented some kinda fingerpicks?
Old 01-30-2022, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picking Dick View Post
I wonder why, after all these years, no one ever invented some kinda fingerpicks?
There are Alaska picks. I have a couple Pro Piks which are really good for steel string but they just don’t really relate well to nylon, imo. I do have a Fred Kelly thumb pick that sounds nice on any kind of string. The only thumb pick I have ever liked.
Old 01-30-2022, 01:30 PM

Quote:
How prominent have your results been?
It’s a two-part product, but I only use the 1st one, which has the nylon fibers in it. I have pretty strong nails, but wound strings still do a number on my nails (I play steel string guitars) so I apply at least five coats (trying to get some on the bottom of the nail too), letting it dry between coats. Then I buff them out, and reapply as needed.

With touch ups, I get about three weeks or so. By then the nails need trimming, and the Nail Shield shows wear.
Old 01-30-2022, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I am a beginner at classical guitar. I’m growing my nails out and already realizing that they are thin and flimsy, but even worse, kinda hooked on the end.
How long do you grow/keep them? Usually, even the ones that end up hooking will still be pretty straight when filed short.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical