The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2022, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimelie View Post
This left me pretty cold. The acting was just fine, but I ended up thinking it’s a film depending too much on its source material for critical credibility (the anonymous, Italian “Elena Ferrante” ’bestseller ).

I can only suppose the book was much better.

Otherwise - meh.
It wasn't one of those movies that made me say, "How can you possibly not like this?!?", so I kinda get it, but I don't agree that it's reliant on the Ferrante name to have cred. I haven't read the story, nor have I read Ferrante, and as a result I don't hold her in especially high (or low) esteem. People like her, but at least with regards to this, I don't put too much weight in popularity and being a bestseller. I think the movie holds its own.

SPOILERS AHEAD

I really loved the conceit that Leda comes face-to-face with the decisions of her younger self both in memory and as represented by Nina. I loved the symbolism of Nina, her younger self, either destroying Leda and/or liberating her during that ambiguous ending. Again, I thought that was pretty interestingly executed in the movie, even if it's not a homerun.

END SPOILERS

Anyway, I can see why not everyone would like it. Worked well enough for me.

Last edited by bfm612; 01-11-2022 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-12-2022, 12:07 AM
Charter Member

You and I read the symbols much the same way. I found myself working through the ending several ways (the phone conversation on the beach).

The ending is highly ambiguous. If the mark of a good film is to make you think, this one’s a good movie.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 01-12-2022, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
"Darkest Hour," a 2017 production on Netflix starring Gary Oldman, Kristen Scott Thomas, and Lilly James, among other well known BBC actors, is a story based on the politics surrounding Winston Churchill at the time of Dunkirk in May, 1940. It's a fascinating political drama of Churchill dealing with Neville Chamberlain and Lord Hallifax, who pushed rather relentlessly for a negotiated peace deal with Hitler as 300,000 British troops were backed up against the sea at Dunkirk. My wife and I found it fascinating and quite moving.

- Glenn
This was a great recommendation. We watched it last evening (for the second time) and really enjoyed it.

And now DH and I are really looking forward to dovetailing in a viewing of Kenneth Branagh’s “Dunkirk.”

Old 01-12-2022, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

We've been watching "Shameless" now for what seems like forever. It ran for 12 seasons, from 2011 to 2021. It goes on and on and on and on. We watch it when there is nothing else on.

Tremendous acting by Wm. Macy and Emmy Rossum and the rest of the cast. Laugh out loud funny sometimes.

Fair warning, though, it is pretty raunchy. Just when you think the debauchery can't get any worse, it does.

Last edited by KenL; 01-12-2022 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-13-2022, 02:36 PM

Manifest. I'm still enjoying it and there are some great twists and turns in it. As I mentioned, it reminds me of "Lost" in some ways.
Old 01-13-2022, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Manifest. I'm still enjoying it and there are some great twists and turns in it. As I mentioned, it reminds me of "Lost" in some ways.
We enjoyed the first few, and it seemd to habe a lot of promise…then it seemed like the plots became very predictable and dreary, plumbing the worn out “evil government running secret experiments theme”. We didn’t finish the first season.
Old 01-13-2022, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I liked that one, if maybe as a guilty pleasure. A bit cheesy and predictable, but entertaining. I think I watched 2 seasons?

It is like Lost, but I think less convoluted. I swear they were making that one up as they went along.
Old 01-13-2022, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
We enjoyed the first few, and it seemd to habe a lot of promise…then it seemed like the plots became very predictable and dreary, plumbing the worn out “evil government running secret experiments theme”. We didn’t finish the first season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
I liked that one, if maybe as a guilty pleasure. A bit cheesy and predictable, but entertaining. I think I watched 2 seasons?

It is like Lost, but I think less convoluted. I swear they were making that one up as they went along.
Hey Buddy, Dirk, I'm on season 3 now. It's those little twists and turns that make it good. Something happens and you don't find out until later in the show how it all ties together. The worst episode was the wedding episode. Just a waste of time from a plot perspective.
Old 01-13-2022, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hey Buddy, Dirk, I'm on season 3 now. It's those little twists and turns that make it good. Something happens and you don't find out until later in the show how it all ties together. The worst episode was the wedding episode. Just a waste of time from a plot perspective.
Maybe I'll pick it back up, I could use a new show.

Watched Hanna on Amazon Prime. Pretty violent, and often unnecessarily so which kind of tempered things, but otherwise a good and interesting character and show.
Old 01-14-2022, 05:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
We've been watching "Shameless" now for what seems like forever. It ran for 12 seasons, from 2011 to 2021. It goes on and on and on and on. We watch it when there is nothing else on.

Tremendous acting by Wm. Macy and Emmy Rossum and the rest of the cast. Laugh out loud funny sometimes.

Fair warning, though, it is pretty raunchy. Just when you think the debauchery can't get any worse, it does.
You’re right about the acting. I enjoyed a few episodes. Sadly, where I live I can watch it daily in my neighborhood without turning on Tele.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 01-14-2022, 11:04 PM

I thought someone on this thread recommended "The Alpinist?"

Watched it tonight and was thoroughly transfixed! Visually incredible and hair raising at the same time.

Scott
Old 01-15-2022, 05:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
I thought someone on this thread recommended "The Alpinist?"

Watched it tonight and was thoroughly transfixed! Visually incredible and hair raising at the same time.

Scott
Transfixed is a good word for it. My wife and I were exactly that.
Old 01-15-2022, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

And speaking of Netflix looks like they are raising their rates $1-2

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-15-2022, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I read that last night. The basic $9.99 plan in Canada didn't go up though. That's what I have. Everything else is up though.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Yes, I just read that too. I don't know if that will affect the bundling we have with our T-Mobile service. As far as I am concerned, Amazon Prime seems to have more of the type of movies and TV series that my wife and I prefer so we would be fine if we didn't have Netflix. Of course, everything seems to be going up these days.

Tony
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic