The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace

Old 12-14-2020, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Now that one has some possibilities.

Hi Feste,
I am sorry but first I have to claim ignorance because I'd not heard of Bore Oil before so I had to Google it. I assume you are referring to a product for clarinets and other wood winds?

I can't speak directly to Bore Oil's use or application but the issue that I've encountered with other "oil" based products is that the oil seemed to continually leach out of the wood. Initially it would soak in and then you'd wipe it off and the oils would seem to keep popping up through the grain or it would retain an oily surface texture.

Our product does contain natural oils and a small amount of filtered beeswax and a trace amount of other organic ingredients. During application the heat from your hands and the friction of application softens the waxes and allows the oils to be absorbed into the wood. After the product is allowed to penetrate and cool a few hours, the oil is trapped in the wood beneath the beeswax and the oils don't migrate out of the wood. After the product is absorbed into the wood sufficiently you merely wipe off and buff the minimal amount of wax left on the surface with a soften cotton cloth. Not only do the waxes trap the oils in but they shield other contaminants out. You are left with a surface which is silky smooth and has a satin glow, ready to string up.
I’ve never noticed a residue with bore oil. Yes, it is the same oil used on woodwinds. I generally only have to condition my fretboard once a year with bore oil. Nonetheless, I’m game to try something new.
Spotify

FOR SALE:
MIKTEK CV4 Tube mic
Various Shock Mounts
2019 Alvarez ABT60 SHB-E Baritone guitar
Shoot me a PM if interested
Old 12-15-2020, 12:09 PM

My name recommendation: McBalm.

From the Oxford English Dictionary (the go-to source for English professors), "balm" is defined as: "a fragrant cream or liquid used to heal or soothe the skin; something that has a soothing or restorative effect."

Question, though, for the Mad Scientist in his Morral Laboratory: What makes this potion better/different than the Howard's Feed-n-Wax you've been promoting to we McKnight McDisciples for any number of years now?
Old 12-15-2020, 03:12 PM

McNIGHT'S SHINING ARMOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Now that one has some possibilities.

HaHa! My gift to you, Tim!
Old 12-15-2020, 05:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eire View Post
My name recommendation: McBalm.

From the Oxford English Dictionary (the go-to source for English professors), "balm" is defined as: "a fragrant cream or liquid used to heal or soothe the skin; something that has a soothing or restorative effect."

Question, though, for the Mad Scientist in his Morral Laboratory: What makes this potion better/different than the Howard's Feed-n-Wax you've been promoting to we McKnight McDisciples for any number of years now?
I really liked the Howard product Kurt but what I noticed was that the frets tended to oxidize and I am not 100% sure if it was their chemical formulation but my hunch says that it was. I am not seeing fret oxidation as rapidly with this product. I’d be curious to know if you have had any issues with fret oxidation if you are using the Howard product? Another issue with Howard Feed n Wax was the oils tended to come out of the wood and would require several wipings to remove it all which wasn’t a big deal. However this product only requires one wipe down and I’ve not had any issues with the oils leaching out.

Your definition of “balm” makes a lot of sense. Thanks for sharing that info.

Last edited by Tim McKnight; 12-15-2020 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:11 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Another product name idea...

Plays Like Butta!
Fretboard Conditioner

Formulation by McKnight Guitars

Last edited by Acousticado; 12-19-2020 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-17-2020, 03:15 AM
Charter Member

McKnights Guitarmour ?!
Old 12-17-2020, 08:59 AM

Fretboard Salveation

McKnight's Miraculous 100% Natural Fretboard Salveation - great on everything except toast.
Old 12-17-2020, 05:40 PM

McKnight Fret Knot! Guitar fretboard conditioner

....will put in my order soon. The pics sold me
Old 12-17-2020, 06:23 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlr1122 View Post
McKnight Fret Knot! Guitar fretboard conditioner

....will put in my order soon. The pics sold me
I should mention that those pictures only show part of the story because I wasn't able to leave the substance on the fingerboard for as long as Tim has suggested. I only had a couple hours to let it sink in, so I put an application on, rubbed it out a bit, then put another thin layer on and let it set for another half hour or so and rubbed it out again. These pics were of my Charis.

A few days before I put the substance on the fingerboard of the Mcknight/Poling guitar and it was definitely a little more "lustrous" for lack of better words.....I just didn't think to take pictures of it then.

Old 12-18-2020, 08:04 AM
AGF Sponsor

WOW, You folks sure have been mentally busy churning out ideas for a name of our secret balm. I am still contemplating a name but I am narrowing it down to a few finalists. Thanks to all who have played along.

We have since mailed out four batches so far but it seems there is a real road block in the Columbus, OH USPS. Mary was on the phone yesterday trying to find out why some of our packages have been lingering for 10+ days now with no updates or movement but she got the typical idunno runaround. If you have sent your payment, rest assured your kits have been mailed and are out of our control so please be patient.

On another topic, we have been migrating our website to a new host this week. Our email has been really wonky so if you have sent us an email and have not received a reply please send us a PM here until we get the bugs worked out of the new move.
Old 12-18-2020, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

All I could come up with was...

McLuster!

Looks like a great product, Tim.
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 12-20-2020, 11:31 AM
Anticipation Junkie

And another for good measure...

Fretboard Revival
Conditioning Balm
By McKnight Guitars

or...

McKnight’s Fretboard Revival
Lustrous Conditioning Balm
Made in the USA

Last edited by Acousticado; 12-20-2020 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-21-2020, 07:55 AM
AGF Sponsor

Well folks, I think we have a winner but first thank YOU to all who have participated in naming our newest product... So without further adiew .... Drum roll .................................................. .................................................. ....

McKnight’s Fretboard Revival
Lustrous Conditioning Balm
Made in the USA

Thank you Tom (Acousticacado) for your suggestion. Please PM me with your mailing address and I will send you a free kit. And another thank you to Eire for his suggestion and definition of "Balm" which fits quite nicely in the product's name. Kurt please PM me your current mailing address as well so we can get your free kit in the mail too.

And a pre-Merry Christmas to one and all!
Old 12-21-2020, 09:02 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Thanks Tim, glad you liked that one! I’m looking forward to trying it out.

PM sent! Cheers!

p.s. I want to acknowledge all who provided suggestions because the final name was obviously greatly influenced by terms everyone was throwing into the pot.

Last edited by Acousticado; 12-21-2020 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-21-2020, 12:40 PM

Excellent choice! Congrats, Tom!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace