The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-06-2020, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Interesting purfling combination--I like it!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 01-06-2020, 04:19 PM

Thanks for all the kind words and support guys!

Very excited that this build has finally gotten underway. This build has been in the works for several months and Lonzo is just the most invested person into this guitar! Always amazing to see so much passion on the client side of the guitar. He has done a lot of material research and even sent over samples to Joel to hopefully incorporate into his guitar. Let's see how that works out

Turns out that Lonzo is not just extremely resourceful, but also a very talented photographer! You should share some of your works when you find the opportunity. I'm sure we will be expecting many guitar photos from you once it's completed hehe

It's such a familiar build to what I've gone through in 2015 and I cannot wait for you to receive it! Looking forward to more updates on this

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 01-07-2020, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Interesting purfling combination--I like it!
Thanks Nemoman!
I think it will become a bit more prominent with the other plans for the soundhole and the purfling on the body - we will soon know if and how they work out.
I was intrigued by that orange color and thought it matched the overall colors of the woods very well.
Also the soundhole binding will be directly bordering the soundhole.
We try to achieve a clear look, almost understated, until you look twice :o) and quite slick and elegant at the same time.. that of course is subject to taste,
but as it is my guitar it ticks those boxes.
I also think that look goes very well with the overall lines of the OM-R body, Joels interpretation of the OM size, its shape and the slight fanfret.
Curious to see how it will look under finish.

PS : your Arum is yet another beast

Last edited by Lonzo; 02-01-2020 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Orthography ,o)
Old 01-07-2020, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Smile

Thanks for the metaphoric flowers Marcus !
.. the pics in this thread will all come from Joel...
later I might give it a shot (literally). I never seriously tried my luck on Guitars yet, with so many
qualified and experienced examples around here.. just look at Mark Hatchers pics..
..and yes I am involved.. excited... how could I not be with this in the works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
Thanks for all the kind words and support guys!

Very excited that this build has finally gotten underway. This build has been in the works for several months and Lonzo is just the most invested person into this guitar! Always amazing to see so much passion on the client side of the guitar. He has done a lot of material research and even sent over samples to Joel to hopefully incorporate into his guitar. Let's see how that works out

Turns out that Lonzo is not just extremely resourceful, but also a very talented photographer! You should share some of your works when you find the opportunity. I'm sure we will be expecting many guitar photos from you once it's completed hehe

It's such a familiar build to what I've gone through in 2015 and I cannot wait for you to receive it! Looking forward to more updates on this
Old 01-07-2020, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Hey Lonzo my friend, I'm happy to see that your build with Joel Michaud is underway!

I was fortunate to get to play Marcus' LS - Tree OM-R at the 2015 Memphis Guitar show. Sonically as well as visually that guitar was and is amazing. I've since had the pleasure of meeting Marcus at the last Woodstock and you are in good hands with both of those two.

I know you will enjoy working with Joel as much as i did and I look forward to following the progress!

Last edited by doodahdoug; 01-07-2020 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Hi Doug,
Good to hear from you and glad you like it !
.. you know more about the hoped for outcome than I do... hope to catch up soon !

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodahdoug View Post
Hey Lonzo my friend, I'm happy to see that your build with Joel Michaud is underway!

I was fortunate to get to play the LS - Tree OM-R that Joel built for Marcus at the 2015 Memphis Guitar show. Sonically as well as visually that guitar was and is amazing. I've since had the pleasure of meeting Marcus at the last Woodstock and you are in good hands with both of those two.

I know you will enjoy working with Joel as much as i did and I look forward to following the progress!
Old 01-07-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonzo View Post
Here the woods chosen
All I read was "first build" and then saw the wood in this pic. Thought "wow, good luck with that figured wood". Then realized this was a builder commisioned thread.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:33 AM

I don't know if a luthier has ever built more guitars with the tree than Joel... He even made a full mahogany the tree guitar (top, back and sides)

Avalon Custom Auditorium Fan Fret Sinker Redwood/Ziricote
Furch 34 SR Stahl (custom) - Sitka/EIR
Classical Hanika 58CF - Alpine/Cocobolo
Yamaha LS16 - Engel/EIR
Alvarez MSD1 - Cedar/Mahogany
Breedlove C25 - Cedar/Mahogany
K-Country 1975 - Sitka/Mahogany
upcoming :
Michaud Made OM-R - ARW/ Swiss "moon"
Astrand A-OM - MRW - Euro Bearclaw
Old 01-08-2020, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaptonWannabe2 View Post
All I read was "first build" and then saw the wood in this pic. Thought "wow, good luck with that figured wood". Then realized this was a builder commisioned thread.
I wouldn’t let myself try and bend that wood.. but as has been pointed out, Joel has done so numerous times and successfully so.
All good
Old 01-08-2020, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grosskate View Post
I don't know if a luthier has ever built more guitars with the tree than Joel... He even made a full mahogany the tree guitar (top, back and sides)
I don’t know how many Joel built as of yet, but the linked article in Ukelele Eddies post(#9) mentions several luthiers that back in 2014 had 10-16 built with that wood, apparently both classic and acoustic guitars (Santa Cruz, Ribbecke, Harvey Leach..).
But the fact that Joel seems to have a hand for “The Tree” didn’t hurt either, it was one argument to go for it and with him.

Last edited by Lonzo; 01-08-2020 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grosskate View Post

I think Jayson Bowerman has Joel beat on Tree builds but Joel is certainly prolific with it!
Old 01-09-2020, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJI View Post
I think Jayson Bowerman has Joel beat on Tree builds but Joel is certainly prolific with it!
I have no idea about the numbers.. sure would like to compare like for like of both builders but chances are slim over here
..maybe if Mr. Bowerman attends the Holy grail ?
Need to check that

..no, at least not yet... but a large number of luthiers sure will be there besides Joel: Baranik, Bashkin, Kostal, Jang, Dowling, Buenida, Matsuda... looking forward to that !

Last edited by Lonzo; 01-11-2020 at 03:23 AM. Reason: Corrected typos
Old 01-14-2020, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Small update...
Joel has some other guitars to finalize and deliver... so I wasn't expecting anything for a while.. but a little bit trickled in today..
The sketch/plan and a step further towards completion of the rosette..
More when available

Last edited by Lonzo; 01-14-2020 at 12:55 PM. Reason: optics
Old 01-19-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodahdoug View Post

I was fortunate to get to play Marcus' LS - Tree OM-R at the 2015 Memphis Guitar show. Sonically as well as visually that guitar was and is amazing. I've since had the pleasure of meeting Marcus at the last Woodstock and you are in good hands with both of those two.

I might just bump into you again this coming Woodstock if we both decide to show up haha hope you are doing well Doug. Joel's work has certainly evolved for the better, and he already started off in 2015 so strongly! It's always a joy playing his guitars and he is certainly one of our most popular builders. It's tough even as a dealer to get his slots as he has been pretty fully booked since years ago haha I might have only just 1 more before he raises his prices again for the 3rd time without even opening up his build slots to public

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 01-30-2020, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Hi everyone, it's been a while.. but there's progress. The pictures show how the motiv from the rosette will carry through the rest of the guitar.. a planning sketch for the back and the execution through the back and the headstock.
As for the originally intended inlay for those sections ... we had to change plans...
and Joel is working on it.. soon to be revealed. I myself haven't seen them yet..

..sketching out

The back being in progress

The headstock top veneer made from the set the back was cut out of.. every possible bit of that wonderful wood
needs to find a worthy use

Last edited by Lonzo; 02-01-2020 at 06:00 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
lucky strike, michaud, omr, the tree