The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-01-2022, 01:48 PM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillsteven View Post
to me it sounds like the old 500 series but with cleaner (or thinner) tone and ever so slightly extra bass.. now I understand the comparison to koa

I'm inclined to think this would make an exceptional recording guitar, but people are surely going to miss the warmth of mahogany/cedar 500 series
One of my first thoughts was this would record well for me. When I play it as I normally would it's a pretty even sound, I have to dig in to bring out enough low end to be a problem needing some EQ work.
Old 10-01-2022, 01:49 PM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Nice playing and recording, Jeremy! What a really nice recording guitar--clear, well-balanced, and full-toned. I Like It! Would I buy one given its price in relation to a Taylor with regular tonewoods such as mahogany, rosewood, maple, or koa? Probably not right now but maybe in a decade or so from now if the regular palette of tonewoods becomes more scarce and super expensive.
Thank you!
Old 10-01-2022, 02:55 PM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Well, as others have mentioned, you’re playing was great and did showcase the guitar in a more complete way for me than the other recordings. It will definitely be interesting to hear how the guitar settles in. Thanks again for taking the time.
Best,
Jayne
For sure. I agree with you on the tonal properties of the guitar, the trebles are harsh and the whole thing sounds a bit... subdued... which I expect from something like an all-koa instrument (except for koa's chimey trebles, which I find to be pleasant), but not something with a torrefied spruce top. When I listened to the audio playback I was taken aback by how brash and bright the trebles were when I was strumming the G and Cadd9 chords. I thought at first it might have been something to do with my mic placement, but when I played the guitar again to compare, it sounded like the recording.
Old 10-02-2022, 09:29 AM

I would like to hear it with a set of Monels, that might cut a bit of the brassy edge.

Want little, and you shall have all you need.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion