The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-02-2022, 06:36 AM

I started with a TAD 40, and then moved to a TAD 50. Did this mostly for the slight difference in tone. I find the speed bevel benefits my playing.

I moved away from tear drop shaped picks many years ago because of how they felt in my hand; the triangles just felt better to me. But teardrops might be a bit more versatile.
Old 10-02-2022, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

This is the Official Silly Moustache advice :

1. TAD (346 large triangles) -three points, three times the benefit, point angle less acute - i.e. better string contact, better grip.
2. Speed bevel depending on your handedness.
3. Thickness - 40 (1 m/m) for light gauge strings. 50 (1.25 m/m) for mediums. 60 (1.5) if you want less attack, rounder bass/treble.
n.b the 346 shape has more mass than 351, so 1 m/m roughly equates to 1.25m/m in 351/teardrop.

n.b. - for mandolin - TAD50 3r speed bevel.

Don't worry about cost, you'll never wear it out, and you'll never lose it.

NOTE: My opinion is worth every penny you paid for it.
Old 10-02-2022, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

My current favs are:

TP60-1r
KS60
Old 10-02-2022, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

I use the TP-1R size... started with a 40, a decade ago, then bumped up to a 50 last year. It was a little difficult to get used to the bigger size, but really not that big a deal... (I was using a small Gibson teardrop heavy for MANY years...)

The TP-!R has 2 points and one rounded (TP, one R!)... I have them cut the speed bevel on both points, as well as up the side of the pick - I frequently let the pick rotate a bit while I'm strumming or doing all-purpose playing, so I like that bevel on both the point and the edge.

At first I did not want the speed bevel, as I equated that with the normal wear on a regular pick, where the edge gets thinner and starts sounding sharper and "scratchy". Turns out I REALLY wanted that speed bevel; didn't care for the pick at all without it.

I started with a 40; I was concerned that anything more would be too thick. After a year or two, I found myself thinking about a 50, as the 40 was feeling a little "loose". Blue Chip picks have such a different feel on the strings for me; they seem to "leap" off after an attack very quickly... I now have the 50 and love it! Don't know if I'll go thicker in the future...

As was said, Blue Chip will exchange a pick if it's not damaged - but another great point is that they will work on a pick, at no charge... I've had my original TP-1R 40 back and forth to them at least 10 times over the past 11 years. The picks really wear like iron, but I have managed to nick the edge a couple times, so I'd send it back to them to have that bevel re-cut... they've never charged me! I pay postage there and they do the work and mail it back to me...

Yep, they're expensive items... but I don't tend to lose things that cost a decent amount of money, so I've had mine for some time now... they aren't even close to wearing out!

They may not be right for everyone, but they sure are right for me! Great picks, and a terrific company with which to do business...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 10-02-2022, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personatech View Post
I'm considering buying a Blue Chip pick (although dropping $35 on any pick is contrary to my more frugal instincts).

I mostly strum and do some flatpicking and am comfortable with triangles but tend to prefer the 351 shape. I'll probably go with a 1mm (i.e. 40/1000) thickness but a 50 or 60 aren't out of the question.

I'd like to order a pick that lets me try a number of options - speed bevel, pointy tip, rounded tip... (As I write this, it's more apparent I'll probably have to go with the triangle shape, but would a teardrop still work?).

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a particularly versatile Blue Chip? Does going with a thinner thickness render some of the options less viable?
What Fender 351 are you using? I put calipers on my Heavy 351 and it came out to .89 mm (TD35 size).

My 351 Medium came to a .66 mm.

For a pick like Blue Chip stick with what you like. I would suggest try new styles with cheaper picks.

I just got a TD35 and I love the feel.
Old 10-02-2022, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyp6 View Post
TAD-1R 40!
The one pick that does it all for me…

Yep, this is the one that I really like. I also still use the TD-35 which is the first Blue Chip that I ordered.
Best,
Jayne
Old 10-02-2022, 07:29 PM

I have a TAD 40 1R too and think it’s a very versatile pick. I don’t tend to make much use of the rounded edge, but it does provide a nice option.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 10-02-2022, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
My current favs are:

TP60-1r
Almost voted that one too. Probably most versatile. I just love the TD, but you're right

KS corners look a lot like the TD shoulders, no?
Old 10-03-2022, 01:43 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePanda View Post
What Fender 351 are you using? I put calipers on my Heavy 351 and it came out to .89 mm (TD35 size).

My 351 Medium came to a .66 mm.

For a pick like Blue Chip stick with what you like. I would suggest try new styles with cheaper picks.

I just got a TD35 and I love the feel.
Panda, hi. I'm puzzled by your thickness measurement on the Fender Medium. I've measured dozens of them, and they always coming in at .72-.73 mm,

sm
Old 10-03-2022, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Panda, hi. I'm puzzled by your thickness measurement on the Fender Medium. I've measured dozens of them, and they always coming in at .72-.73 mm,

sm
I thought so as well. I thought they were closer to .88 and the Heavy was 1mm.

I think they are just in the range of and not accurate.
Old 10-03-2022, 10:57 AM

Buy picks of various sizes and shapes similar to Blue Chip versions and see what works for your hands. My hands and your hands do different things. Do not rely on what I or others like to determine your choice
Old 10-03-2022, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyp6 View Post
TAD-1R 40!
The one pick that does it all for me…
I like this idea.

I started out with a TAD 50 (still have it) and like it a lot.

I bought a TAD 40 for light gauge strings and guitars that don't require so much energy to produce good sound (still have it)

I now mostly play with a TAD-3R 40 and I find that I rarely stray from it. If I really want to dig in on some flatpicking on a dread with medium strings, then I grab the TAD 50.

All of my Blue Chips have speed bevels. I also tend to use the "shoulder" of my picks frequently.
Old 10-03-2022, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

I also like Blue Chip picks and they are the only ones I use anymore.
My favorite is a little smaller than that of Gee Man.
The TAD is very similar in size to the Fender triangle. (the white picks in the photo are Fender triangles)
I like the TP size that is a little smaller.
The R1 indicates that 1 corner is rounded. It’s nice to have for fast strumming, but for all other strumming or flat picking I prefer the pointed and speed beveled edges.
The Jazz size is little and fat. I sanded my own bevel on that one and miss the sharper point on that one.
The 100 size which is a fattie, is also a small fortune to spend for a pick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FEBADD99-3434-457F-B539-F44851EE66A0.jpg (36.8 KB, 45 views)
Old 10-03-2022, 11:58 AM

I also play mandolin too, so I'm used to big triangles. CT55 and TAD 60, but I play dreads string with mediums. You can always order a 1-R version if you want to experiment with a rounder (darker) tip
2 tele partscasters
Yamaha Pacifica 611 VFM
Old 10-03-2022, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff_the_stiff View Post
I also like Blue Chip picks and they are the only ones I use anymore.
My favorite is a little smaller than that of Gee Man.
The TAD is very similar in size to the Fender triangle. (the white picks in the photo are Fender triangles)
I like the TP size that is a little smaller.
The R1 indicates that 1 corner is rounded. It’s nice to have for fast strumming, but for all other strumming or flat picking I prefer the pointed and speed beveled edges.
The Jazz size is little and fat. I sanded my own bevel on that one and miss the sharper point on that one.
The 100 size which is a fattie, is also a small fortune to spend for a pick
Whoa! I've not ever had the chance to try a 100 yet. I did have an TAD80. I recently had BC make me a Dunlop 207 clone in a 75. They do take some getting used to at those thicker sizes. I have an acrylic pick at 3.33mm (BC size of 131) I've used at times.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion