The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-29-2022, 08:34 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Default How much should classical lessons cost?

I'm thinking about taking lessons. What's the going price and what is the length of the usual lesson?

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-30-2022, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Hi Barry,
Lessons from a qualified, in-person instructor, was costing me $20. and hour back in the mid 80s. I would imagine it’s double to triple that now.
So figure on roughly $20-30. for a 1/2 hour, and likely $50-60 an hour.
That’s just a guess though. I haven’t checked prices, but those figures are probably in the ball park.
You could probably pay less with on-line, zoom type lessons, but those aren’t as effective for classical in my view.
You’re in NJ I recall.
A good place to check would be your local classical guitar society.
Here is a list of teachers in the NJ area:
NJ Classical guitar teachers
Pick one or a few and send them an email. I'm sure you would get some informative replies.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 09-30-2022, 08:02 AM

That's definitely going to depend on the teacher. I'd think $60 an hour and up.

When I taught, I liked to do 1 hour lessons with adults.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 09-30-2022, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Just prior to the Covid shutdown I was taking weekly in-person lessons at The Classical Guitar Store here in Philadelphia. If I recall correctly, I was paying $35 for each half-hour lesson with a fantastic, experienced teacher. I’m sure they’ve increased a bit since then.

In terms of length, 30 minutes felt a bit cramped then (and we often ran over). On the other hand, I’ve found hour-long lessons at times drifted into gear talk, politics, etc. I think 45 minutes would be an ideal length of time for a classical lesson — short enough to focus everyone on the task at hand, but long enough to comfortably move through one or two short pieces of repertoire— although that might be difficult for the teacher’s schedule.
Mark Campellone 16" Archtop
Alejandro Cervantes Crossover I
Old 09-30-2022, 01:10 PM

It's a big range, but $50-$100 is the ballpark in the Pacific North West. You may find folks going lower if they teach out of their homes (e.g. older retired folks are a great source to learn from for lower cost, and you didn't hear me say this, but under the table lessons seem to be less expensive too).

I agree 30 minutes is too short, as mentioned earlier. The price range I mentioned is for an hour long session.

Best of luck finding a teacher in your price range.
Old 09-30-2022, 01:31 PM

In the San Francisco Bay Area, specifically in the center of Silicon Valley, one school is charging $63 for 45 minute in-person lessons. So that's $42 for a half-hour.

That rate jumps to $74 for 45 minutes (~$50 for 30 minutes) if you select a teacher that's considered "distinguished faculty" but there's currently no teacher in that category for classical guitar.

EDIT: If I get to see my former teacher, I'll ask him what his going rate is. He teaches out in the suburbs.
Old 09-30-2022, 07:09 PM

When I took classical piano lessons from a good teacher in the 1950's,

...my lessons were $1 an hour.
Old 09-30-2022, 08:47 PM

I am in Bay Area and my out of state teacher charges $75 per hour. We do video lessons and in person when we can. He is classically trained, has taught at the college level, performs constantly, and will often go beyond the hour if we don’t keep track of the time or really get really into “the zone.”
Old 10-01-2022, 06:00 AM
Charter Member

Default How much should classical lessons cost?

Boston area I was paying $35/half hour earlier this year for in person. Half an hour feels a little rushed, an hour is more than my concentration can last for and get good value. You do need to bring your concentration with you.
I was looking at a really good flamenco teacher who was about the same online, but decided not to go down that rabbit hole. Too many things to learn and not enough time….
Old 10-01-2022, 09:25 AM

My teacher teaches all styles including classical. He charges $30 for a half hr and $60 for an hour. He is only teaching via zoom since Covid. I think he is excellent. Happy to talk about him, his lessons, and my zoom experience if you like.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 10-06-2022, 03:03 PM

I charge £40 for an hour, the going rate in the UK for an experienced teacher, which equates to c. $45 - I wondered why I had a lot of US students on Skype!

Jonny

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical