The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 09-24-2022, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
One of my favorite 80’s songs and one of your best covers.
Thank you very much Rokdog!

I really appreciate your kind feedback on this! I'm so glad you appreciate this cover video and my efforts!

I hope you and your family are well!

- Glenn
Old 09-25-2022, 10:17 AM

Sorry it's taken so long to watch/listen to this one. Like many hear I've always liked this song. Its harmonic cadence is just so attractive!

I remain seriously in awe of your voice. And you mix in the various parts (vocal and instruments) so well. As to the organ part, there you're closer to my skills, though I've resorted to recording left and right hand parts in separate tracks/passes, and I'll resort to arpeggiators sometimes to get the rhythmic accuracy I'm aiming for. I'll never feel comfortable on keys, but sometimes the song asks for it and we do what we can.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 09-25-2022, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Sorry it's taken so long to watch/listen to this one. Like many hear I've always liked this song. Its harmonic cadence is just so attractive!

I remain seriously in awe of your voice. And you mix in the various parts (vocal and instruments) so well. As to the organ part, there you're closer to my skills, though I've resorted to recording left and right hand parts in separate tracks/passes, and I'll resort to arpeggiators sometimes to get the rhythmic accuracy I'm aiming for. I'll never feel comfortable on keys, but sometimes the song asks for it and we do what we can.
Hi Frank!

Thanks so much for your thoughts on this cover and also for your kind words about my singing. Very much appreciated! I'm also very pleased that you thought the arrangement came out well!

Yes, keyboard playing is a challenge. If I did it more, I would be better at it, but I don't... I have enjoyed the stuff I have heard from you on keyboards, Frank! I'm grateful that I have a bunch of older keyboards from decades past when my wife and I were in the music business. My wife was the keyboard player, so that's why I am not better versed on these electronic wonders.

Thank you for taking time to comment, Frank! I hope you are doing well!

- Glenn
Old 09-26-2022, 07:07 PM

Nice work Glenn. I've always thought that was a great tune!
1966 Martin D-35
1972 Fender Telecaster
1976 Ryoji Matsuoka Classical No. 40
1975 Mitsuru Tamura, Model No. 1000
2013 Taylor 814c-N
1994 Heritage 576
2004 Heritage 575 Custom
2014 Godin Multiac Nylon Encore
2008 Larrivee D-03
2009 Takamine TC135Sc
YouTube
Old 09-26-2022, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringman5 View Post
Nice work Glenn. I've always thought that was a great tune!
Thank you Nate!

I very much appreciate your listening and taking time to comment! I'm glad you thought this cover came out okay!

I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn
Old 09-27-2022, 12:38 AM
Charter Member

I always enjoyed Crowded House (and Split Enz before them) and got to see them twice: 1993 on W.O.M.A.D., 2007 at Coachella. And I still love this song, which was one of their biggest hits in the 1980s. As always, I enjoy your version... everything from the singing, playing, and production.

Really wonderful, and I do want to be you, when I grow up.
Fantastic job, Glenn!

PV
Old 09-27-2022, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
I always enjoyed Crowded House (and Split Enz before them) and got to see them twice: 1993 on W.O.M.A.D., 2007 at Coachella. And I still love this song, which was one of their biggest hits in the 1980s. As always, I enjoy your version... everything from the singing, playing, and production.

Really wonderful, and I do want to be you, when I grow up.
Fantastic job, Glenn!

PV
Thank you PV!

I appreciate very much your kind words and feedback! I'm so glad you thought my cover came out well and that you enjoyed it. And how cool that you got to see Crowded House live a time or two.

I hope all is well for you! Be well.

- Glenn
Old 10-12-2022, 11:04 PM
Charter Member

Glenn, once again I’m blown away with your performance! The production quality of your assorted instruments complemented with the split screen visuals - extremely entertaining! Very cool rendition of a very cool tune. Thank you for posting this.
Old 10-12-2022, 11:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myopic Squirrel View Post
Glenn, once again I’m blown away with your performance! The production quality of your assorted instruments complemented with the split screen visuals - extremely entertaining! Very cool rendition of a very cool tune. Thank you for posting this.
Thank you MS!

I'm really pleased that you thought this video came out well! I really appreciate your kind feedback and support! Very generous of you! I am particularly pleased that you felt the video production, itself, came out well. As you can imagine, it takes a couple of weeks and many hours of effort to put one of these productions together, so it's rewarding that you have responded to the overall result.

I hope all is well for you! Thanks so much for your comments!

- Glenn
Old 11-05-2022, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post

https://youtu.be/1fDqHYFakng

This is my cover of this 1986 world-wide hit song from Crowded House. This cover uses my old 1978 Gibson ES-335 guitar and a recent Fender Strat plus my Carvin bass. I also used a tone-wheel organ sample from an old Roland XP-30 synthesizer that I have. I'm a pretty poor excuse for a keyboard player but I did what I could...

As guitar players you may note that this song is in the very friendly key of Eb. The rhythm part of the song is all barre chords so really, the odd key didn't make the song any more difficult. The hardest part of the song for me was that organ solo.

My oldest son introduced me to Crowded House's music many years ago when he was in high school, and I ended up becoming a fan. Neil Finn, the songwriter, is from New Zealand.

I hope you like this! Thank you for listening! I hope everyone is doing well out there.

- Glenn

Nice! Good sounds there too!

It’s not such an easy song to sing in my opinion - it’s very “wordy” and the length of some of the lines mean one has to be on the ball!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 11-05-2022, 04:47 AM

Excellent cover.
One of my most favs of that era.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-05-2022, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
Nice! Good sounds there too!

It’s not such an easy song to sing in my opinion - it’s very “wordy” and the length of some of the lines mean one has to be on the ball!
Thank you Pieter!

How nice of you to find this and pull it back up! I'm really pleased that you enjoyed this! It is a little different for me, being essentially an electric song. At the same time, it's fun to pull out an electric guitar and remind myself of what these things can do.

I agree with you on the songwriter's choice of lyrics. It's not an easy song to sing. I found it quite awkward and had to work on the timing of the words so that they were intelligible and fit into the song's rhythm. I find it interesting that even with the awkwardness of some of the lyric lines that the song became such a big hit. I am guessing that the really good parts of the song were more important to people than the weaknesses.

Thanks for listening Pieter and for taking time to comment!

- Glenn
Old 11-05-2022, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Excellent cover.
One of my most favs of that era.
Thank you Rokdog!

I'm very pleased that you thought this came out well! It's also one of my favorites from that era, too!

I hope all is well for you! Take care!

- Glenn
Old 11-05-2022, 11:02 AM

Enjoyed that sir well done ! [emoji4]

-----------
Acoustics,
Ben Wilborn Gloria
Breedlove Ed Gerhard signature master class jumbo
Blueridge BR180A
Blueridge BR 283A
Blueridge BR180-12
Guild F212XLCE
Guild CV-1
Guild CO-2CE
Recording king RO-328
-----------
Old 11-05-2022, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riakstonic View Post
Enjoyed that sir well done ! [emoji4]
Thank you Riakstonic!

I very much appreciate your listening and taking time to comment!

I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell