The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-23-2022, 09:52 AM

Just a question...

I'm bad at remembering lyric's... Is it in bad form to bring up a tablet and clap it to the mic stand ? or paper

I'm not even sure there are open Mic's around here
Old 09-23-2022, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Just a question...

I'm bad at remembering lyric's... Is it in bad form to bring up a tablet and clap it to the mic stand ? or paper

I've stuck a piece of paper on a stand many times, never heard sirens coming in the distance.

D.H.
Old 09-24-2022, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Just a question...

This is frequently done at open mics I’ve been to. There are usually music stands, and chairs for those who prefer to sit. As far as finding an open mic, google is your friend.

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut
Old 09-25-2022, 04:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Just a question...

It is not "bad form", lots of players have music/lyric sheets at an open mic'. But it is always better without as it comes across that you are not quite ready to perform that particular song.

Learning lyrics is hard, it takes time, technique and practice - and different systems work for different people. When I first decided about 3 years ago now to learn to flatpick and to always sing without cheat sheets (a deliberate choice on my part) I found it really, really hard to learn and remember lyrics. My "trick" if you like was to spend as much, or more, time learning a new song without a guitar in my hands as I did with a guitar in my hands. And I expected to struggle, which I did!

Now, 3 years later, learning lyrics does not phase me - I see it as just part of the process of getting a new song wired. And I know that with some work I will get the lyrics down. Learning lyrics is a skill, not a natural ability. Expect it to be hard, and expect to have to "practice" learning lyrics as much if not more as you do learning the guitar part. Remember, we are learning songs - the guitar is just the supporting act - so put your primary effort into the song, not the guitar.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 09-25-2022, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanray1113 View Post

… My three songs felt interminably long. But everyone was very kind, much kinder than I was to myself.
There’s my problem. I get just one song.

The monthly open mic in my town is run by two of the nicest people ever put on the planet, and it has built a following of kind, appreciative acoustic music lovers who respond as if you’re Bonnie Raitt or Jackson Browne or something.

But it’s one performer, one song. I’m just not warmed up or settled one minute after I hit the stage. If I could just get two songs, I could do a low-stakes simple one first.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 09-25-2022, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
There’s my problem. I get just one song.

The monthly open mic in my town is run by two of the nicest people ever put on the planet, and it has built a following of kind, appreciative acoustic music lovers who respond as if you’re Bonnie Raitt or Jackson Browne or something.

But it’s one performer, one song. I’m just not warmed up or settled one minute after I hit the stage. If I could just get two songs, I could do a low-stakes simple one first.
A low-stakes simple song delivered well is way better than a challenging song delivered poorly or with trepidation. Find the right song/presentation for the slot you have, not a poor fit for the slot you wish you had.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write