The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-18-2022, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Default Filing nut slots to fret height?

Hi All -

I have seen this posted a few times; "nut slots filed to fret height."

Can someone explain exactly what this means and if there is a picture involved, that would be extra wonderful.

Thanks!

Last edited by Acousticado; 09-18-2022 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-18-2022, 12:00 PM

Might want to check in on ‘Build and Repair’ in the main forum topics.
Lots of experience and good help over there

Basically, the lowest part of your nut slot is the same height over the fret board as the top of the first fret.
Some people like it, others want a few thousandths height to help prevent any potential buzzing
Nut slots can wear down over time -
2019 Ryan Nightingale Bearclaw Sitka/EIR

Old 09-18-2022, 12:01 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kh1967 View Post
Hi All -

I have seen this posted a few times; "nut slots filed to fret height."

Can someone explain exactly what this means and if there is a picture involved, that would be extra wonderful.

Thanks!
Fret between the 2nd and 3rd fret and depress the string between there and the nut - what you want is the clearance at the first fret equal to about a piece of paper.

Here's some info from Mr Ford....

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musi...nutaction.html

Last edited by fitness1; 09-18-2022 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-18-2022, 12:02 PM

I find that if I file them down to fret height I'll often get fret buzz off the first fret. My rule of thumb is to fret the second fret and note the distance between the string and first fret. There should be just a hair... like the thickness of a very thin sheet of paper... almost touching.
Old 09-18-2022, 12:06 PM

Exclamation

Action at the nut - how high the strings are above the first fret - is a critical adjustment on a guitar. Especially on an acoustic guitar, I believe it is the number one adjustment to a comfortable, easy playing guitar.
To measure, I follow Dan Erlewine's method and take some automotive feeler gauges and slide them in till you find on that is the same as the space between the top of the first fret and the underside of the string. You don't want to take a bigger one and lift the string, it should just fit.

I have my Larrivee SD-50 set high E to low E (inches): .012, .013, .014, .016, .018, .020
My Taylor CE312 12 fret is set lower as it is primarily for finger picking .010 - .016
You can use a set of nut files to adjust the height.
If the strings buzzes when plucked in the open position, you went too low.

Last edited by Daddyo; 09-18-2022 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-18-2022, 01:11 PM

Isn't this what a zero fret nut does? There is a fret up against the nut where the strings rest.
I have a resonator guitar with a zero fret and the intonation is very good anywhere on the neck.
Old 09-18-2022, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormin1155 View Post
I find that if I file them down to fret height I'll often get fret buzz off the first fret. My rule of thumb is to fret the second fret and note the distance between the string and first fret. There should be just a hair... like the thickness of a very thin sheet of paper... almost touching.
The neck is angled towards the body, typically in line with the top of the bridge. The strings approach at an even greater angle, increased by the saddle. Assuming this geometry and the relief are correct, filing the nut slots to fret height will typically result in this proper distance (between 1st fret and strings) you’ve described. It’s why string height increases further up the neck.
Old 09-18-2022, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
Isn't this what a zero fret nut does? There is a fret up against the nut where the strings rest.
I have a resonator guitar with a zero fret and the intonation is very good anywhere on the neck.
Many builders leave the zero fret a few thousandths higher than the finish level for the other frets. I do this on zero fret instruments I build. It minimizes the possibility of errant buzzes from the longer open string length. It accomplishes the same purpose as using the "fret at third and check gap" method of setting nut slot depth.

Old 09-18-2022, 02:38 PM

Quote:
If you fret at the second fret then the string will contact 1st and 2nd frets, there will be no gap to measure. (See my posted diagram.)
Old 09-18-2022, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Many builders leave the zero fret a few thousandths higher than the finish level for the other frets. I do this on zero fret instruments I build. It minimizes the possibility of errant buzzes from the longer open string length. It accomplishes the same purpose as using the "fret at third and check gap" method of setting nut slot depth.

This is what I have learned from the past and found it has worked well for me.

- Glenn
Old 09-18-2022, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
If you fret at the second fret then the string will contact 1st and 2nd frets, there will be no gap to measure. (See my posted diagram.)
You're absolutely correct! That's the way I do it, I just said it wrong. Great diagram by the way...

Last edited by stormin1155; 09-18-2022 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-18-2022, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm with you. I generally don't like them at fret height on the E/A/D strings. I play a little harder sometimes and prefer those to be a little high so that if I need to play harder down on those strings I don't have to worry about buzzing.
Old 09-18-2022, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Fret between the 2nd and 3rd fret and depress the string between there and the nut - what you want is the clearance at the first fret equal to about a piece of paper.

Here's some info from Mr Ford....

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musi...nutaction.html
This is The Way.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 09-19-2022, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, all. I am clear on how to check nut slot depth, but the “filed to fret height” was what was confusing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair