The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-03-2022, 11:15 AM

Default Remove the Undersaddle Pickup?

I am a retired professional who plays for the fun of it any more. My 30 yr old Takamine CP-132S cutaway is a full-body classical guitar and actually sounds pretty good. Since I don't see myself needing or using the electronics, I am considering removing the undersaddle pickup and let this old girl sing! I mean, all a good sounding classical guitar needs is a mic anyway, right? Any opinions out there? Thanks...
Old 09-03-2022, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRG347 View Post
I am a retired professional who plays for the fun of it any more. My 30 yr old Takamine CP-132S cutaway is a full-body classical guitar and actually sounds pretty good. Since I don't see myself needing or using the electronics, I am considering removing the undersaddle pickup and let this old girl sing! I mean, all a good sounding classical guitar needs is a mic anyway, right? Any opinions out there? Thanks...
Does your Tak have the pickup that's incorporated under the top at the bridge location? I know one of their pickups ("Palenthetic"?) can't be removed without destroying the integrity of the bridge. Don't know if that's in a classical guitar or that age or not.

If it sounds good acoustically I'd probably leave it in.
Old 09-03-2022, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Does your Tak have the pickup that's incorporated under the top at the bridge location? I know one of their pickups ("Palenthetic"?) can't be removed without destroying the integrity of the bridge. Don't know if that's in a classical guitar or that age or not.

If it sounds good acoustically I'd probably leave it in.
This is a 1989 Takamine CP-132SC with the AccurAcoustic EQ preamp. I'm sure its good, I just don't need it. Thanks, by the way for your comment.
Old 09-04-2022, 03:23 AM

If the guitar is a cut-away body shape it is not going produce the volume of a non-cut-a-way full bodied classical without electronics.

Last edited by AfterViewer; 09-04-2022 at 03:49 AM.
Old 09-04-2022, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterViewer View Post
If the guitar is a cut-away body shape it is not going produce the volume of a non-cut-a-way full bodied classical without electronics.
Curious as to why you would think that.
A cutaway doesn't appreciably impact the volume that much, if at all.
OTOH, something under the saddle, like a PU which otherwise serves no useful purpose, would have much more of an effect on sound.
(imo, of course. , but it's an opinion based on discussions I've had with luthiers in the past about this topic.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 09-04-2022, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRG347 View Post
This is a 1989 Takamine CP-132SC with the AccurAcoustic EQ preamp. I'm sure its good, I just don't need it. Thanks, by the way for your comment.
Since your guitar has the pre-amp installed in the side of the guitar I'd opt to leave the "pickup" in place. If it's simply a piezo element it adds almost no weight to the bridge area so it will have almost no effect on the acoustic sound produced by your guitar.

On the other hand, if and when someone else would be interested in it, then you would have rendered the pickup system useless, so it becomes a liability instead of an asset.

As a side note, other than a simple snob appeal element, the cutaway makes no significant difference in tone or volume of your instrument. There have been several "blind studies" to test player's ability to tell the difference and in the majority of cases they couldn't. Much more expensive instruments would be different, but you won't find a cutaway on a $10,000.00 classical.
Old 09-05-2022, 03:57 PM

Original pickup I would leave alone, unless the action is really high. Have you tried removing the piezo and string it up? If it the guitar has an OK setup chances are that the action without the piezo would be too low. Then you'd have to shim the saddle, which would not be worth the effort in my opinion. At least if you're actually happy with the guitar as is, but just don't need the pickup.

Martin OM-28V
Yamaha FSX3
Godin Arena Pro CW Bourbon Burst
Manuel Rodriguez Magistral D-C
EBS Stanley Clarke Sig. Acoustic Pre
Alto TX210 powered speaker
Old 09-07-2022, 08:47 AM

Default I think I'll Leave it Be

After reading all your remarks, I have decided to leave the guitar as it is. Its kind of a classic in its current config and if I sell it or give it away, the next owner might like to be able to plug it in. Plus, as a number of people have said, it makes little difference. I am trying out some different strings; just going for the best sound I can get. Thanks all for your comments.
Old 09-11-2022, 01:41 PM

Sounds like a wise decision.

Enjoy your guitar!

Martin OM-28V
Yamaha FSX3
Godin Arena Pro CW Bourbon Burst
Manuel Rodriguez Magistral D-C
EBS Stanley Clarke Sig. Acoustic Pre
Alto TX210 powered speaker

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical