The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-01-2019, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

I think the J 45 or Gibson LG2 type guitars. They can give you new ways of playing. Their dry tone can make for some new right hand phrasing. or Travis, or.....

Another good option is a Martin or SCGC all mahogany 000 size (000-15 or 17, preferably one with nice edge purfling). The smaller 00 SCGC is so fine.

Then there's the Keb Mo blues L1...

Well .... I guess there's a lot of different guitars that will let your right hand / fingers - dig into. They allow for fast tempos too.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakar12 View Post
Oh I'm tempted. I've never played a D41 but I know you and Rev love yours. It won't overlap with my D18 too much?

I had a lady patient that 35 years ago her dad said she could pick any guitar. She was sure she wanted a hummingbird. When she got to the store she came home with a D-35. It just bonded with her, and all these years later she still loves it.
My point is that you should not ask us or decide in advance. Go to a lot of stores and find the perfect guitar for you and your current stable.
Happy hunting
Old 10-01-2019, 02:55 PM

Default Hmmmmmm.....

"I don't need anything new, but I want one. One more guitar"

That makes you normal
Old 10-01-2019, 02:56 PM

A nice big maple jumbo - Gibson SJ-200 or new Guild F-55.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 10-01-2019, 03:04 PM

How about a 12 fret?

Also, how about going over to the Custom Shop section and talking to one of the luthiers that post over there. I am guessing that you could get a guitar for your $5k or maybe a little more depending on woods, etc. but easier to get a lefty and also have the experience of having a guitar made to your specs. I went to the BIG event in the spring and I am guessing that any of the luthiers who attended would make you a terrific guitar.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whvick View Post
I had a lady patient that 35 years ago her dad said she could pick any guitar. She was sure she wanted a hummingbird. When she got to the store she came home with a D-35. It just bonded with her, and all these years later she still loves it.
My point is that you should not ask us or decide in advance. Go to a lot of stores and find the perfect guitar for you and your current stable.
Happy hunting
If I played rightie, then yes, I would.
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post

Okay. This is on the list. I saw this before and wow, what a sound.

Gone but not forgotten:
Old 10-01-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mc View Post
How about a 12 fret?

Also, how about going over to the Custom Shop section and talking to one of the luthiers that post over there. I am guessing that you could get a guitar for your $5k or maybe a little more depending on woods, etc. but easier to get a lefty and also have the experience of having a guitar made to your specs. I went to the BIG event in the spring and I am guessing that any of the luthiers who attended would make you a terrific guitar.
Interesting thought. I had a build spot with one before, but that would have cost more than 5k and I'm pretty certain my absolute limit of 5k is a little less than everyone's absolute base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
"I don't need anything new, but I want one. One more guitar"

That makes you normal
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
I think the J 45 or Gibson LG2 type guitars. They can give you new ways of playing. Their dry tone can make for some new right hand phrasing. or Travis, or.....

Another good option is a Martin or SCGC all mahogany 000 size (000-15 or 17, preferably one with nice edge purfling). The smaller 00 SCGC is so fine.

Then there's the Keb Mo blues L1...

Well .... I guess there's a lot of different guitars that will let your right hand / fingers - dig into. They allow for fast tempos too.
Added to my list. Cheers.

Gone but not forgotten:
Old 10-01-2019, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

It’s hard for me to imagine living without a Martin OM derivative of some kind. Either mahogany or rosewood. Collings, Authentic, etc.

Also, you should consider Dale Fairbanks, who makes wonderful repros of the golden era Gibsons.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:04 PM

Being a lefty, you are at a big disadvantage. Hard to find a used luthier guitar at Dream Guitars, etc. when you add the lefty. I would still recommend the custom option if you can keep yourself from adding a bunch of options. You are going to find few if any lefty guitars in most shops and most likely will have to order anyway.

I looked and the both of the Kinnaird brothers base price is $5200 which is close to your max.

Edwinson guitars has guitars in the $4ks

Wilborn Guitars base is $6k.

Two Hands Guitars only has a facebook page. He is a great young guy who is just starting out. Not sure what is price would be.

Jason Kostal was also there, but I think that he may be a little out of your price range.

If I were you, once I decide on kind of what body style I want, I would give people like that a call and see what they can do. I am guessing that they probably do not have any lefty spec guitars but you never know. You obviously would not have your guitar the next day, but other than Jason, you would probably get it fairly quickly + a great experience
Old 10-01-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakar12 View Post
...The wonderful owner of a very cool shop near me asked me the other day if I ever dream of walking into a room and seeing 20+ lefty guitars. I told her that this seems so out of the realm of reality that I've never actually had that dream...
Your dream just came true:

https://www.southpawguitars.com/

If you want something really different to round out your toolbox have them order you a lefty Eastman AR610 acoustic archtop, a Jim Fisch-designed all-solid/all-carved spruce/mahogany box in the mold of the circa-1950 Epiphone Devon - sweeter/mellower/rounder than a typical maple comp box, and at around $1500 street a bargain if there ever was one; here's a comparison demo:

Old 10-01-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mc View Post
Being a lefty, you are at a big disadvantage. Hard to find a used luthier guitar at Dream Guitars, etc. when you add the lefty. I would still recommend the custom option if you can keep yourself from adding a bunch of options. You are going to find few if any lefty guitars in most shops and most likely will have to order anyway.

I looked and the both of the Kinnaird brothers base price is $5200 which is close to your max.

Edwinson guitars has guitars in the $4ks

Wilborn Guitars base is $6k.

Two Hands Guitars only has a facebook page. He is a great young guy who is just starting out. Not sure what is price would be.

Jason Kostal was also there, but I think that he may be a little out of your price range.

If I were you, once I decide on kind of what body style I want, I would give people like that a call and see what they can do. I am guessing that they probably do not have any lefty spec guitars but you never know. You obviously would not have your guitar the next day, but other than Jason, you would probably get it fairly quickly + a great experience
Thanks, Jeff. Yeah, Kostal is the dream and yes, he's about 12k above my price range.

Gone but not forgotten:
Old 10-01-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post

Whoa that sounds nice
Old 10-01-2019, 08:13 PM

Round neck resonator or archtop guitar would round out your tool box
Old 10-01-2019, 11:35 PM
Charter Member

Bowerman. You absolutely need a Bowerman. Feel free to PM me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion