The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-30-2019, 07:44 PM

Default Played some very nice guitars today

I’m on a slow mission to find a second guitar to compliment my Martin GP35E.
Today I played a Martin D18, D18 modern deluxe, Gibson J45, J45 125th Anniversary edition, and a Taylor 717 builders edition.
Of those I narrowed it down to three D18, D18MD and the J45.
I found these all to be a potential compliment to my Sitka/Rosewood Martin.
The MD was so feather light and I thought louder than the other two. The D18 was also very very appealing to me but all in all I think I liked the J45 best. Something about the tone and playability was awesome. I played another J45 previously and it also appealed to me. I thought it would be a nice contrast to my Martin. I only want two guitars because of the space they consume, the maintenance and fiscal responsibility.
They are all such nice instruments and it feels that my preference may be completely subjective. I know there are many fans of all these guitars and I’m interested in how you may have chose one over the other. If I could narrow it down a bit the question might be what do you see the difference between a J45 and a D18 being.
Thanks to Twin Town Guitars in Minneapolis, Minnesota for their help, patience and courtesy today. What a nice guitar store.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:06 PM

The Gibson will probably give you the best contrast.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmitz54 View Post
....... If I could narrow it down a bit the question might be what do you see the difference between a J45 and a D18 being...
Apples and oranges. What’s most important is that you’re doing your due diligence. Pick the one you like the best.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

...generalities.....The longer scale of a D-18 gives it more snap and cut and an edgier overall sound that when pushed can get a little harsh depending on the individual guitar...the shorter scale J-45 tends to stay mellow even when pushed and in my experience doesn’t have the dynamic range and projection of a D-18.

..if i’m playing mostly solo I like a J-45..if I am playing with a band I prefer a D-18....like I said ...in general
Old 10-01-2019, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmitz54 View Post
Thanks to Twin Town Guitars in Minneapolis, Minnesota for their help, patience and courtesy today. What a nice guitar store.
It is a nice store, isn’t it? I’m glad you had a good experience there too.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion