The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-28-2019, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

You should try a Martin D-18 Authentic 1939. It would satisfy most. I have a 1940 D-18 and its a killer guitar and the 39 Authentic variant is the closest new guitar I've played to it tonally. The necks are on the smaller side too. My vintage 1940 has a slightly wider neck than the 39 Authentic does. I prefer the pre vts versions from 2013 and 2014 over the newer ones. I just like the way the finish looks better on those slightly older ones.

You can find them used for about $3300-3500 pretty regularly. A far cry from an real vintage one.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 09-28-2019, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
You should try a Martin D-18 Authentic 1939. It would satisfy most. I have a 1940 D-18 and its a killer guitar and the 39 Authentic variant is the closest new guitar I've played to it tonally. The necks are on the smaller side too. My vintage 1940 has a slightly wider neck than the 39 Authentic does. I prefer the pre vts versions from 2013 and 2014 over the newer ones. I just like the way the finish looks better on those slightly older ones.

You can find them used for about $3300-3500 pretty regularly. A far cry from an real vintage one.
The Authentics are amazing. I would only point out that the D-19 Authentic 1939 is rear-braced, and the standard D-18 and the D-18MD are both forward braced. Tone's different. The D-18 Authentic 1937 (discontinued) on the other hand is forward-braced. If you like a fatter neck with the 1 3/4" nut and have the funds for a new MD, you really out to check out the 1937. Best new Martin D-18 I've heard (unless you include the epic 12-fret D-1). Used, they run a few hundred under $4k.

Not to try to convince you away from what you like! If you like the MD, go for it! If you find it at all to bright or harsh, there is no better modern forward-braced D-18 than the '37 Authentic.
Old 09-28-2019, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

IMHO, 1937 seems to be "The" best year for pre-war Martin dreadnoughts as the usually most desirable attributes, by many modern players anyway, all came together in that year. From 1938 on, things started changing away from what I consider the 1937 Martin Golden-Era Pinnacle.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 09-28-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-28-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
...New Modern Deluxe D18...
Has Martin fallen into the same rabbit hole that Fender has?
Old 09-28-2019, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
Has Martin fallen into the same rabbit hole that Fender has?
I'm waiting for the New Retro Deluxe Martin D-18 to hit the stores!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 09-28-2019 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-28-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scolaguitar View Post
You won't go wrong with the standard post 2012 but I myself have one and did eventually happen across a custom with adi-top and GE bracing that has haunted me ever since. If I had played them side by side, I don't know what would have happened or if I would have necessarily preferred the custom. But my goodness I haven't gotten over it.
Just for the record, I too played an Adi-topped GE version when I auditioned the standard. It was definitely a great guitar but that standard strummed just killed it.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-28-2019, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Just for the record, I too played an Adi-topped GE version when I auditioned the standard. It was definitely a great guitar but that standard strummed just killed it.
I had a 2009 Martin D-18GE (Adi/Spruce) and it was a wonderfully-toned guitar. It definitely was a powerful guitar but I can't say it was any better than my 2016 Martin D-18 which has a somewhat warmer overall tone.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 09-28-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I had a 2009 Martin D-18GE (Adi/Spruce) and it was a wonderfully-toned guitar. It definitely was a powerful guitar but I can't say it was any better than my 2016 Martin D-18 which has a somewhat warmer overall tone.
When I bought my 2013 D18 I was all set to buy a GE. I took a trip to an Acoustic guitar store all set to try out the d18. Got there and it had been sold, but they had GE in stock . I loved it and was all set on buying it, but felt I needed to try the standard first. Ordered one thinking I would probably send it back, but realized i liked it more than the GE . Never looked back.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:02 AM

Good stuff. From where I live, I can only audition a handful of D18’s. I may have to buy online so I have to know which version I am ultimately looking for. I should have been more specific in my OP.

1 3/4” neck that is a little chunkier similar to my Collings, and tonally a little more on the bright side to suit my fingerstyle tendencies. Also, it can’t have the cut through saddle because I may lower the action a bit. I know that eliminates an awful lot but that’s probably why the new Modern Deluxe got my attention in the first place.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 09-29-2019, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have often picked up D18’s over the years and thought, wow, that’s a nice all around guitar. Recently on a trip to the Dallas area, I tried out the New Modern Deluxe D18 and I have been smitten ever since. I have convinced myself that I will be buying a D18 sometime soon. I really did like the new appointments on the Modern Deluxe, but I am still open to any of the other variations of the D18. Since I do a lot of fingerstyle, I thought the light weight of the MD along with the brightness would be a good thing.

There a very few choices where I live to play these back to back. Any insight would be helpful. What can I expect between models? What models have a thinner/thicker neck? I like thicker similar to my Collings D2T. Thanks.
You should book a weekend trip to Nashville. If it's in my schedule I'd pick you up at the airport and take you to the guitar shops....Gruhn's has the MD's along with the sinker mahout's that Vince Gill is helping them sell....it might be worth it...and it would be fun!!..also...
Old 09-29-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I'm waiting for the New Retro Deluxe Martin D-18 to hit the stores!
What rabbit hole is Fender in?
Old 09-29-2019, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRVC View Post
What rabbit hole is Fender in?
Probably it's best to ask the OP of the rabbit-hole comment what he meant. For me, I guess the rabbit hole is same one that every (most) big guitar companies seem to be in: market umpteen variations of various models to try to create a niche that will compel a player to buy. Some variations seem worthwhile while some just seem confusing but I look at it as all good if it gives a player variations of what to buy that will fulfill their needs or desires.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 09-29-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
You should book a weekend trip to Nashville. If it's in my schedule I'd pick you up at the airport and take you to the guitar shops....Gruhn's has the MD's along with the sinker mahout's that Vince Gill is helping them sell....it might be worth it...and it would be fun!!..also...
Wow! How kind of you. I had a chance to go to Nashville this summer but it didn’t work out in my schedule and it would have been for a convention anyway. But if there is a will there is a way, right?
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 09-30-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Good stuff. From where I live, I can only audition a handful of D18’s. I may have to buy online so I have to know which version I am ultimately looking for. I should have been more specific in my OP.

1 3/4” neck that is a little chunkier similar to my Collings, and tonally a little more on the bright side to suit my fingerstyle tendencies. Also, it can’t have the cut through saddle because I may lower the action a bit. I know that eliminates an awful lot but that’s probably why the new Modern Deluxe got my attention in the first place.
I see you're in Salem. What about a trip to Portland? Several Portland Music company locations and one of them is their acoustic only shop. The custom I played was at Old Town Music. They're friends with the owner of Music Villa and get NOS from them from time to time which is how I stumbled on that one.

Old 09-30-2019, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
If I drive to Nashville can I come play some of those guitars in your list?

I've actually been meaning to go there but I know I'd better have some cash socked away because I can't imagine leaving that town without a new guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion