The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-28-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
I've gone through many sets of Sunbeams and for some guitars I love these strings. They can be a little sensitive to the winds shifting which causes dead strings. But I found this only on one occasion on new strings. I've previously successfully re-used Sunbeams, but understand the risk of removal/reinstallation as I know how they are built.

I love the Gibson Masterbuilt strings as well. They are similar to the Sunbeams initially, but I think the Masterbuilts settle a little warmer than the Sunbeams. On some guitars that could be a very good thing if the guitar starts out being bright. Right now I'm testing strings on a newly acquired Taylor 910 and haven't found "the strings" for this guitar. I'm searching for a balance between warm and articulate. Sunbeams are close. I found a very articulate string in SUS heavy (13-56) and were I a bluegrass player I might like these strings on it a lot. But others told me that they preferred the warmth of other strings.

I tend to agree - I find the Sunbeams a little softer (and more unreliable) than the Gibson’s and in general find the Gibson’s slightly more articulate. If I want a step more than that I will try D’addario NB or GHS signature series.

Like you I have also settled on 12-53 vs 12-56 as I prefer the balance of the lighter 6th string.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 09-28-2019, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

A used string is "fretted" on its underside, and my belief is that this can create dullness and/or undesired overtones when restringing it and playing the string open. The previously fretted areas on a restrung string will not always realign with their respective frets. This could cause mistuning when fretting a string at what was a previously corresponding fret.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-28-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
A used string is "fretted" on its underside, and my belief is that this can create dullness and/or undesired overtones when restringing it and playing the string open. The previously fretted areas on a restrung string will not always realign with their respective frets. This could cause mistuning when fretting a string at what was a previously corresponding fret.
Interesting thought about the cause of re-using strings. I can see your point. Perhaps overall I've been extremely lucky. It's rare that I have any issues with string swaps, and on that rare occasion it is usually only with one string- usually the low E. In almost every instance a set that has been previously played for a minimal amount of time has a very good chance of sound good for a normal life expectancy.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 09-28-2019, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
Interesting thought about the cause of re-using strings. I can see your point. Perhaps overall I've been extremely lucky. It's rare that I have any issues with string swaps, and on that rare occasion it is usually only with one string- usually the low E.
That darned Low-E string always seems to be the one that is the dullest in a Guitar Center or any other store audition unless you're one of the first players to audition a particular new guitar. In relation to this, I can get a long time out of a string change but the guy I first played gigs with could deep-six a new set of strings in one set because of his body chemistry!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 09-28-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-28-2019, 01:23 PM

These are truths in life

Sour milk returned to the fridge will not get better
Stinky socks left out will not get better
Remarry you’re ex wife RARELY gets better
Used strings on a guitar do not get better

Last edited by Bigredhog; 09-28-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:36 PM

I've even had trouble with new strings lately. The best bass strings I ever used were D'Addario Copper XL Reds. They cam out with those "Reds" Copper acoustic strings. The D string was dead as a doornail. I was due for a setup, so I took my Gibson AJ in, and sure enough, it was a dead string from the start.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion