The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 07:11 PM

Default Studio positioning

Gene,
Without mics I place the studio around chin to mouth level. When I use both side address mics I’ll place them one at mouth level and one lower. If I’m recording multiple players, the mics will go to mouth level equidistant between the musicians.

Rick
Old 08-13-2019, 06:26 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks Rick
Old 08-16-2019, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin1884 View Post
I was practicing with the Spire. Am preparing for a recording session with my co writer over Labor Day weekend.
This is an old Guy Clark Chestnut. I recorded with a D35 reimagined, and a Furch MF 22 mandolin.
Only used the onboard mic, but our album session will have 2 side address Sure Condenser mics direct into the Spire.

Hope you enjoy

https://soundcloud.com/rickrn/black-diamond-strings-10

Rick Benjamin
That sounds really good Rick. Maybe with the better mics the recording quality will be better, but I love the performance and felt like the recording suited it just fine... A slightly informal sound may be best for that kind of old timey Americana...

-Ray
Old 08-16-2019, 06:42 PM

Default Thanks

Ray that is exactly what I was going for. There’s a great Transatlantic session of Guy along with EmmyLou and a host of others doing the tune, and it is so relaxed and casual, just really hit home for me.
Thank you
Rick
Old 09-02-2019, 07:41 PM

Default In the Pines

Got together with dear friends over the holiday weekend. Recorded 8 original tunes, and 2 public domain tunes. Thanks to the McKinnons, and of course to my wife Cindy who helped engineer, produce and add harmony vocals on this project.
Hope you enjoy
Rick Benjamin
https://soundcloud.com/rickrn/in-the-pines
Old 09-02-2019, 08:19 PM

Default Hard Times

And here’s the beautiful tune by Stephen Foster Hard Times.
Really hope you enjoy,

https://soundcloud.com/rickrn/hard-times
Old 10-20-2019, 12:43 PM

Thinking seriously in getting one of these...I've got a Zoom R8 but something easier/ less intimidating would be nice and sometimes I need a stepping stone to move up to the R8..or not It's the way I learn..

Any updates with the units? troubles?
Old 10-20-2019, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Thinking seriously in getting one of these...I've got a Zoom R8 but something easier/ less intimidating would be nice and sometimes I need a stepping stone to move up to the R8..or not It's the way I learn..

Any updates with the units? troubles?
They keep releasing firmware updates and so far they've been improvements or, at worst, they haven't made anything worse... I still love it - I was trying to work with Garage Band and it's just got too many options for my addled brain to deal with well. I'm coming from a Fostex 4-track back in the '80's and this is the first thing in the digital age that's been simple enough for me.

The two key weaknesses, for me at least, are these:

First, the mixing is not dynamic, so you set he level and panned location of a track at the start and it stays there for the whole track - you do NOT have the ability to raise the volume of a track or change it's left-right location during the song.

Second, the punch in capability is not great - there's no pedal or anything to punch in and punch out - it kind of gives you a few seconds to get in sync with the track before it starts recording you, but I've found this pretty tough to use effectively. And there's no punch out - you just have to reach over and stop the recording, which is easy to do cleanly in some cases and nearly impossible in others. For lead breaks and vocals I find it can work ok (if you give the vocals their own track), but for rhythm guitar I just basically re-record the whole track if I screw up.

You also can't change any sound effects after the recording is made - you can only set them up-front. So if you like your sound, great. If not, do it again...

BUT, overall I still love it. The self leveling is really good. The enhancements you can add when it's "mastering" the song to whatever format you choose are pretty good and you can roughly control how much they add. The bottom line is I USE it, and I've tried other stuff, I just got tired of wrestling with given my purely recreational purposes for recording. I even like the internal condenser mic well enough that I haven't added a mic yet and may never.

-Ray
Old 10-20-2019, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

It has been a while since my friend and music partner Mark and I have had the opportunity to share some tracks with the Spire Studio. Last week, he suggested the Bob Seger song Turn the Page. I recorded tracks (in Texas) with bass, drums, acoustic guitar, and vocal, then sent those tracks to Mark (in Arizona). He added keyboards, sax (synth), and electric guitar, then sent those tracks back to me.

A bit of mixing, and here is the result...

Life, traveling, work (for him - I'm retired), and family obligations had us putting any recording on the back burner for a while. Looks like we'll be able to be more active with it again in the coming months.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:20 PM

Default Church Street Blues

Here's a great Norman Blake tune. I had recorded with my D35 a few weeks ago. I recently picked up a 6 string banjo and thought I'll give it a try on this track. Then I saw my mandolin I haven't played in awhile and thought, what the heck. Then had to add some harmonies of course.
Hope you all enjoy
Rick Benjamin

https://soundcloud.com/rickrn/church-street
Old 10-22-2019, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin1884 View Post
Here's a great Norman Blake tune. I had recorded with my D35 a few weeks ago. I recently picked up a 6 string banjo and thought I'll give it a try on this track. Then I saw my mandolin I haven't played in awhile and thought, what the heck. Then had to add some harmonies of course.
Hope you all enjoy
Rick Benjamin

https://soundcloud.com/rickrn/church-street
Sounds great! Nice blend and mix; really enjoy the vocals.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:15 AM

Default Ginseng Sullivan

Ok here’s a try at the Norman Blake Classic Ginseng Sullivan
Hope you enjoy
Rick Benjamin
https://soundcloud.com/rickrn/ginseng-sullivan
Old 10-29-2019, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Another long-distance project with my friend and music partner, Mark. His parts: keyboards and horns (synth); mine: vocal, guitar, bass, drums.

We used to play these songs in a horn band when we were teenagers. Yeah, a long, long time ago.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

Another Spire Studio project... with the norther that blew in, making the Tropical Tip of Texas not so sub-tropical feeling, this song seemed appropriate. A cover of the Bill Withers song "Ain't No Sunshine." I did the drum, bass, guitar and vocal tracks and sent the file to my music partner Mark in Arizona. He added piano, synthesizer, sax, and strings.

Here's the result..

Old 12-09-2019, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Another take on a Spire recording of an original I did earlier:

My music partner Mark was looking for another project, so I sent him the Spire files on this song. He added piano and organ, and sent them back to me. A bit of mixing, and...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD