The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-02-2017, 06:50 AM

Question Journey OF660 ?

I'm going to get to Elderly next week and hopefully try one of these out. I'm new to carbon fiber.

I'm a 99% fingerpicker and am intrigued by this for travel. Anyone want to share their thoughts on them?

Tone, volume, playability, etc.

Over time, how does the mechanism hold up? Is the "set-up" affected by the attaching/dettaching process?

Thanks.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 08-02-2017, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frets4fun View Post
I'm going to get to Elderly next week and hopefully try one of these out. I'm new to carbon fiber.

I'm a 99% fingerpicker and am intrigued by this for travel. Anyone want to share their thoughts on them?

Tone, volume, playability, etc.

Over time, how does the mechanism hold up? Is the "set-up" affected by the attaching/dettaching process?

Thanks.
Scroll to the bottom of the AGF home page and type in your inquiry in the search bar right above the small search bar with "ebay". That will provide an exhaustive google list of every mention of the OF660 on the forum. A very cool feature many don't know about!
Old 08-02-2017, 07:06 AM

Yes, I've read some of the threads. Helpful. Any thoughts on my last question?

Old 08-02-2017, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, I've read some of the threads. Helpful. Any thoughts on my last question?
I've wondered what happens with the saddle when the guitar is disassembled?
Old 08-02-2017, 07:42 AM

My saddle is a tight pressfit --- snugly stays in the bridge when my neck is removed.

Action is consistent between neck removals so long as the neck is screwed in tightly.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:08 AM

So my experience is limited to playing the one hanging on the wall in the closest dealer to me that carries them for about an hour or so, but I will give you my thoughts based on that limited time.

Such a cool concept, I really wanted to love this guitar! When I pulled it off of the wall, I was impressed with how it looked and the dimensions. The one I played was red and it's a pretty cool and interesting looking guitar. And it sounded really good, pretty well balanced. The thought of being able to take a guitar that I could gig and stuff it in an overhead is really compelling.

The issue I had with it was the playability, the action was REALLY high initially. I brought it to the sales guy manning the acoustic "station" and he brought it to his tech who loosened and reset the neck. It was instantly better, so apparently you do have to be cognizant of how you reattach the neck or you may get some movement in the action/alignment. However the action was still WAY high. I really felt like I was in a wrestling match with the guitar. Also the intonation was not really where I like it to be.

Sadly I am not convinced he was the most knowledgeable about the OF660 because he really didn't have a lot of feedback about the guitar and didn't seem to be sure of any answer he gave me. I asked him about the saddles because clearly the stock factory one in this guitar was way high, and he said they are "slightly glued in". Not sure if I believed that. He did say they could remove it and shave it down though to adjust the action. Honestly this store was pretty high end and had a LOT of nice guitars hanging in their acoustic section, including CF from Journey, CA, and McPherson. I was disappointed that they would hang something for people to try that was really almost unplayable. I mean, is it really that taxing to setup the guitars that people are trying in your shop?? At any rate I didn't really give the OF660 a second look because of the playability of that guitar.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:26 AM

My recollection from reading here is that Journey typically sends two saddles with each guitar - one taller (installed) and one lower (in the case pocket). So it should be a simple matter of swapping out the press-fit saddle while the guitar is "broken down" in travel mode.

As for the mechanism, it appears to be metal on metal so should be pretty durable, and the lock-up should be quite repeatable. But I have no direct experience. Perhaps Rob from Journey will see this thread and address your question directly.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:44 AM

Earl is right - OF660 comes with two saddles (mine did). Tall saddle is good for slide guitar, short saddle for fingerstyle and strumming. I haven't had to adjust the truss rod - the action is nice for my fingerstyle using the low saddle.

Just be sure to pull the neck backwards to its fullest range of travel when you tighten down the locking mechanism, and you shouldn't have any change in the action (string height or intonation).

Your dealer sounds a bit uninformed about this particular model.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res Ipsa View Post
Earl is right - OF660 comes with two saddles (mine did). Tall saddle is good for slide guitar, short saddle for fingerstyle and strumming. I haven't had to adjust the truss rod - the action is nice for my fingerstyle using the low saddle.

Just be sure to pull the neck backwards to its fullest range of travel when you tighten down the locking mechanism, and you shouldn't have any change in the action (string height or intonation).

Yeah I thought I remembered reading it came with 2 saddles somewhere. I asked him about that but he said no, and said the saddle was glued when I asked him about setup/lowering the action. It was disappointing because I had to truck all the way out to Long Island from CT during the day because they are the only dealer I could find that had the OF660 in stock to try. I specifically went there to try the OF660. They did have the Cargo and the McPherson touring as well. So t was worth the trip but I feel like I didn't get the correct experience or info about the OF660.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:43 PM

Johhny5, that dealer (or that employee) seems pretty much clueless - except for being savvy enough to stock CF guitars in the first place. Once in a while, a dealer will pull out the extra saddle from the gig bag when they put the guitar on display, so there have been reports here of people not receiving the second saddle when they purchased.

Ted from LA Guitars usually has salient comments too, and he sells the Journey product line.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

I just received one from Ted, and it came with two saddles. I did think they were a bit loose, so I fitted a Taylor style saddle into the bridge, and it stays put. Between that and adjusting the truss rod, I've got a nice 6/64 (low side) 5/64 (high side) action on the guitar.

The only thing I have noticed as far as the setup is concerned once the neck has been placed onto the guitar is to check the string spacing at the bridge. Sometimes, the strings have a tendency to stay in place place where ever they happen to lay after re-attaching the neck and the spacing will be a bit off.

Now, I do check the spacing before clicking in the neck.

D
Old 08-02-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res Ipsa View Post

Thanks for the good feedback.

BTW, my dealer isn't uninformed....not sure where that came from. I just said that I'm going to try one out there next week. Maybe you were referring to another member's post? (Johnny5)

Old 08-02-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
....BTW, my dealer isn't uninformed....not sure where that came from. I just said that I'm going to try one out there next week. Maybe you were referring to another member's post? (Johnny5)
Yes, I was responding directly to Johhny5's comment about HIS dealer. I did not quote that post, trying to keep things a bit more concise (quotes of quotes of quotes starts to get cluttered when reading). There is a fine line between brevity and context sometimes.

I have no doubts whatsoever about Elderly Instruments, as I have doing business with them almost as long as you have. I also envy your ability to visit "the Holy Land" fairly often -- but not enough to be willing to move back to Michigan. Good luck with your OF-660 test drive.......
Old 08-02-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Yes, I was responding directly to Johhny5's comment about HIS dealer. I did not quote that post, trying to keep things a bit more concise (quotes of quotes of quotes starts to get cluttered when reading). There is a fine line between brevity and context sometimes.

I have no doubts whatsoever about Elderly Instruments, as I have doing business with them almost as long as you have. I also envy your ability to visit "the Holy Land" fairly often -- but not enough to be willing to move back to Michigan. Good luck with your OF-660 test drive.......
Wasn't quoting you, Earl. I know your knowledge of Elderly. I don't think Res Ispa was referring to my dealer (Elderly). Yeah, gonna try one out next week, plus a whole bunch of other things. Should be fun. Gotta check out the Academy Series too. I used to work a couple miles from Elderly, but after I retired, I moved 170 miles away. So, I don't get there often enough. Actually, it's probably better on the wallet.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhodgeh View Post
I just received one from Ted, and it came with two saddles. I did think they were a bit loose, so I fitted a Taylor style saddle into the bridge, and it stays put. Between that and adjusting the truss rod, I've got a nice 6/64 (low side) 5/64 (high side) action on the guitar.

The only thing I have noticed as far as the setup is concerned once the neck has been placed onto the guitar is to check the string spacing at the bridge. Sometimes, the strings have a tendency to stay in place place where ever they happen to lay after re-attaching the neck and the spacing will be a bit off.

Now, I do check the spacing before clicking in the neck.

D
Thanks for the info!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber