The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-01-2019, 09:50 PM

Default This is my self-motivational statement. Hear ye...

First off...Thanks to all the forum members for all the great information I've gathered here.

I'm retiring from my business in a little over a month.

I decided a few years ago that I was going to get back into performing when that time came. I used to perform with a band, but over the last twenty years my business has necessarily taken precedence, and it's hours didn't allow for performing.

That's no longer going to be a problem. Nor an excuse.

Over the last several years, I've purchased the equipment I wanted and I've put together a decent (and fairly eccentric) song list...Currently at about 80% performance ready...I'm now ironing out the other 20%.

So why am I posting this?

I don't mind being on stage, but being on stage all by myself, just me, alone?
I'll admit to being more that a bit nervous about that.

Some years ago I decided to ride my motorcycle to the Sturgis Black Hills Rally. It was three days of riding to get there, trusting to find campgrounds along the way, and not knowing what I'd find when I got there...all alone. So I told everyone I was going. I even posted it on Facebook...All so I wouldn't chicken out. And I didn't. I do trips like that all the time now.

So that's why I'm posting this. I'm putting it out there...

I can't chicken out now.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:07 PM

Chicken out? Why would you do that now? You're 80% of the way there. Just go do it. My advice is to play every gig with sincerity and appreciation. Most folks can't (or won't). We are lucky to have this outlet, this drive, this lifelong passion for music.

Best of luck to you.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:23 PM

Cool man! I'm going to subscribe to this thread -- hopefully you'll keep us posted on how things go. What types of venues do you expect to perform in?
Old 10-01-2019, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

Congrats and have fun!
Old 10-02-2019, 06:03 AM

Brilliant !

I don't LIKE performing alone either, however I do prefer the way it sounds. Other players have their own ideas. Some players have good ideas, and some players have BAD ideas. Even a good player can have bad ideas.

You don't need to fill all the holes. Work with the holes...

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 10-02-2019, 06:14 AM

Performing alone gives you the ability to do whatever you like. No one else (other than the venue) can dictate or ever suggest. You don't have to play things exactly the same each time. No problem with bandmates. No difficulty finding a convenient rehearsal time. No sharing of the pot either.

And no one to help schlep gear around, to share driving and be company, no one to bounce ideas back and forth with, and no one to hide behind when you produce a clam...

I think the audience has different expectations from a single performer and a band. There's a place for both.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:38 AM

Break a leg, and let us know where you play - it couldn't hurt to have some AGF FAM in the audience.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:50 AM

Cool! What are some of the songs in your set list?
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style
Old 10-02-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
I don't LIKE performing alone either, however I do prefer the way it sounds. Other players have their own ideas. Some players have good ideas, and some players have BAD ideas. Even a good player can have bad ideas.
Off topic, but I think this is why "one man bands" who make studio recordings playing all the instruments themselves tend to be so monotonous. I'm thinking of people like Mike Oldfield or Richard X. Heyman. It's not that they're not good or proficient; they are. But every Mike Oldfield record has the same feel to it, because there's nobody else in there with him to shake him out of his groove.

That said, I perform alone. I haven't been in a band since I was fifteen. So maybe I should check my own output for monotony.

EDIT: Thinking more of it, I imagine that might also apply to people who are such a controlling studio presence that everyone else there is reduced to being a play-to-order session man. Their records also have an overriding sameness. I'm looking at you, Todd Rundgren.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

I am glad for you. I wish I were talented enough to do what you will be doing. The only "performing" I have ever done is in church, and only rarely alone, usually with at least a keyboard player or a group. So, I hope you really enjoy it, and as said before, give it all you got!
Old 10-02-2019, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

I am 50 now and still a a few years away from retiring. But I work from home and could probably take the time to do what you are talking about. I still haven't gotten up the guts to do it though. I think I would be okay. I have enough of my own songs plus plenty of other people's that I can play, but I get nervous in front of people.

I think if I did something like this, it would have to be an open mic, a farmer's market, or maybe a retirement home to start. Just something to get my feet wet as they say. I just never get up the gumption to do it. I chicken out!
Old 10-02-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
Cool! What are some of the songs in your set list?
Paring that down is part of the 20%.
I'm as eclectic as they come...And that's something I have to work on.
You never know what's going to come out of my mouth.
Without naming specific songs...

Everything from Buddy Holly Rockabilly, to Ralph Towner, Pop music from the 60's until now, A smattering of BlueGrass and Country (I'm doubling down on that currently after being inspired by the recent Ken Burns Documentary.) Traditionals and inspirational. Slow, fast, funny...Even some instrumentals.

So far, it's been "whatever I like." It's now time to also decide "what's going to be best, what's going to work."

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHC View Post
Break a leg,
I've already done that part. Actually, I split my quadriceps tendon in twain about ten years ago...It never healed properly after the operation. I'm a bit wobbly, so I'm still deciding whether to play standing or just bring a chair. I do most of my practicing in a chair so that would be easiest, but I'm working on both. I've never really cared for the sound I'm able to get out of my guitar's on-board pickups, so if I decide to just sits, I may just invest in a microphone for the guitar.

Quote:
and let us know where you play - it couldn't hurt to have some AGF FAM in the audience.
I will. It'll still be a while as I'm wrapping the the transition of my business to the new owner, and Mrs. Menhir has a honey-do list more than a mile long. But I won't be setting the guitar aside while I'm getting that done.
Not anymore.

I've already had an open invitation from a local church venue that hosts performances from time to time...A "let me know when you're available request." I'll probably start there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I am 50 now and still a a few years away from retiring. But I work from home and could probably take the time to do what you are talking about. I still haven't gotten up the guts to do it though. I think I would be okay. I have enough of my own songs plus plenty of other people's that I can play, but I get nervous in front of people.
From someone who's pretty much in the same boat as you: I've learned that my most satisfying accomplishments over the years have been the most daunting ones to get started. But if I don't try, I'll never know. That would bother me a lot.

At the worst, I don't think they'll tar and feather me.
Not at least until my second or third song.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion