The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-01-2019, 04:47 AM

Default Olson 1984 Dreadnought

I saw dream guitars has this Olson dreadnought for sale and I was blown away by how "cheap" it is compared to all other Olson guitars I have seen. Just wondering what your thoughts are on why it doesn't hold the same value as his SJ models.

https://www.dreamguitars.com/shop/19...pruce-139.html
Old 10-01-2019, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixxer View Post
I saw dream guitars has this Olson dreadnought for sale and I was blown away by how "cheap" it is compared to all other Olson guitars I have seen. Just wondering what your thoughts are on why it doesn't hold the same value as his SJ models.

The dreadnought is not the model that Jim Olson made his name with - that being the SJ model made famous by James Taylor. Other artists who use Olson also invariably use the SJ model like Phil Keaggy and David Wilcox. As a result, it is usually the cheapest type of Olson guitar you can buy.

As well, this particular one is comparatively quite old indeed for an Olson.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:58 AM

You had my hopes up for a second. [emoji16] even a "cheap" Olsen is unaffordable to me. Fine guitar, though.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:54 AM

Beautiful guitar and sounds really nice. Good price for an Olson.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:32 AM

It sounds great and is an affordable entry point for sure.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:01 AM

Lovely. I played a nice Olson parlour over the weekend. I'd love to try that dread.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:44 PM

I find that - often - the first guitars a maker puts out are cheaper than the others. Which only makes sense; they get better at it the more experience they have. And after a luthier has retired or died, their prices - often - take a dip. You might think they'd go up since no more are being made, but I think "out of sight, out of mind" plays a role.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:17 PM

It’s a lovely guitar. However, it has a crack in it (fully disclosed). Cleared/repaired so it’s almost sure to be stable and not impact tone, but in my experience, value takes a major hit in such a situation.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixxer View Post

Hi 6ixetc

Has nothing to do with the properties, but the model. I own a 1993 Olson Dreadnought - EIR/Cedar - and the going rate on Dreadnought Olsons is in the $8000 range (has been for years). The Spruce top might not be the combination most of us associate with Olsons (traditionally Rosewood/Cedar).

Olson Dreadnoughts are much rarer (James told me in 2005 he's built around 80-some Dreadnoughts). But rare or not, the SJ is the sexier of the models he builds. And the SJ cutaway seems to be the most popular.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-01-2019, 10:37 PM

Okay - from an Olson price-point it's less expensive. For a guitar, in its shape, with repairs and fret wear, to me, it's not cheap or properly priced. To me, one would would be better served to spend the same money on a new Charis. there's nothing better built than a Charis and few that sound or play as well.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Okay - from an Olson price-point it's less expensive. For a guitar, in its shape, with repairs and fret wear, to me, it's not cheap or properly priced. To me, one would would be better served to spend the same money on a new Charis. there's nothing better built than a Charis and few that sound or play as well.
Another two names for olson type guitars are Brian Applegate and Drew Heinonen. They were once Jim Olson's assistants working in his shop and so they have first hand knowledge of Olson's processes. Applegate has since gone on to establish more of his own tone but Heinonen will still build with jim Olson's blessing an SJ model with exactly the same specs.

Last edited by gitarro; 10-02-2019 at 12:27 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion