The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-17-2014, 07:29 AM

Default Would any one help read a tab?

Hi!

I'm trying to decipher a tab on Myself Again by Scott Matthews - and there are some things that are new to me: On some lines there is a "B" written in stead of a fret-number, and some times "0h2" and "8p0" - What do they mean?

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/s/sc....google.com%2F

Thanks!

Marianna
Old 08-17-2014, 07:30 AM

I assume b means to bend, h and p mean hammer on and pull off

So 0h2 means to hammer on from open string to second fret

I assume on the bend because I don't see any letter Bs in that tab. Are you sure your not seeing an 8?
Old 08-17-2014, 07:39 AM

"02h" indicate play the open string and then, while it rings, bring down you finger on the 2nd fret. This is "hammer on"

"8p0" indicates play the note by fretting the 8th fret, then pull off your fretting finger to sound the open string. This is "pull off"

Don't see any "B" in the tab, lot of notes at the 8th fret. In tab, a note followed by a "B" typically indicates a "bend" where you increase the note pitch by exerting side pressure on the string.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:50 AM

+1 on Teleman and HHP's post.

Here's something that explains how to read tab. It includes hammer ons (h), pull offs (p), bends (b), and other symbols too (x, /, \, etc).
http://www.wikihow.com/Read-Guitar-Tabs

One note, many tabs on the internet are not all correct. If you are trying to play something and the tab sounds wrong, look for another tab or trust your ears and play what you think is right.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleman52 View Post
I assume b means to bend, h and p mean hammer on and pull off

So 0h2 means to hammer on from open string to second fret

I assume on the bend because I don't see any letter Bs in that tab. Are you sure your not seeing an 8?
Thanks a lot!!

You must be right about the B/8, thanks
Old 08-17-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
"02h" indicate play the open string and then, while it rings, bring down you finger on the 2nd fret. This is "hammer on"

"8p0" indicates play the note by fretting the 8th fret, then pull off your fretting finger to sound the open string. This is "pull off"

Don't see any "B" in the tab, lot of notes at the 8th fret. In tab, a note followed by a "B" typically indicates a "bend" where you increase the note pitch by exerting side pressure on the string.
Thank you very much, this is absolutely helpful
Old 08-17-2014, 10:48 AM

I often see a bend notated as "b" with a number to define the target pitch. 8b9 would be fret the eighth fret and bend to raise the pitch to the ninth fret note - up a semitone. I've also seen it written as +1/4, +1/2, etc. Lastly, "r" means to release a bend back to the original pitch.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 08-18-2014, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
I often see a bend notated as "b" with a number to define the target pitch. 8b9 would be fret the eighth fret and bend to raise the pitch to the ninth fret note - up a semitone. I've also seen it written as +1/4, +1/2, etc. Lastly, "r" means to release a bend back to the original pitch.
Thank you for this!

And thanks for the beautiful quote

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
reading, tabs