The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-24-2020, 04:55 PM

Hey rockabilly, beautiful guitars (especially the Les Paul)! Regarding the rosewood and maple necks, what's the biggest difference you noticed between the two tonewise? Maple more snappy/bright?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I've had a few Teles in my day, and in two of those with maple necks, I swapped them to Rosewood fingerboard necks. On both, the sound changed dramatically, and because of that, I feel most of the tone resides in the neck. It seemed like whatever body I put those necks on, the tone would follow that of the neck. I have two Teles now, one Rosewood fingerboard (custom shop Tele Deluxe), and the other glossy maple (MIM 50's Tele reissue), and I like them equally...

Old 08-26-2020, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey rockabilly, beautiful guitars (especially the Les Paul)! Regarding the rosewood and maple necks, what's the biggest difference you noticed between the two tonewise? Maple more snappy/bright?
Hey Dru, this might go against what others have said, but I think the neck size and construction as a whole has more of an impact that the fingerboard material does. That why I said in my case the tone of the guitars that I swapped the necks on mostly followed the neck and was not determined by the body. And I've had rosewood fingerboards that were brighter than maple which definitely goes against what most people think.

Last edited by rockabilly69; 09-09-2020 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-05-2020, 10:25 AM

It took awhile, but the $89 Licensed Fender neck fit perfectly. Getting the angle and action right was a chore,but it has the feel I preferand the guitar sounds o different.
We had to drill 16 holes:4 to connect to the body, and 12 to line up the tuners. Each of the tuners has two tiny studs. The Fender factory necks have two tiny holes above the tuner posts.
Old 09-05-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
It took awhile, but the $89 Licensed Fender neck fit perfectly. Getting the angle and action right was a chore,but it has the feel I preferand the guitar sounds o different.
We had to drill 16 holes:4 to connect to the body, and 12 to line up the tuners. Each of the tuners has two tiny studs. The Fender factory necks have two tiny holes above the tuner posts.
Given it was a Fender licensed neck shouldn't it have fit the existing holes in the body of your Tele? Or were there no holes pre-drilled?

Glad to hear it all worked out.
Old 09-05-2020, 12:33 PM

As far as I could tell, new necks come without the four holes drilled. It was a surprise to discover the tiny holes with the tuners.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars