The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-19-2020, 01:30 PM

Default Telecaster: Were all the great guitar heroes wrong?

In recent years there’s been not just a resurgence but an entire re-assesment for the title of greatest electric guitar of all time and the Telecaster keeps coming up as having the best tones, being the most versatile, the only guitar you’ll ever need etc etc But during the hey day of electric guitar driven music from the 60’s to the 90’s the most popular were arguably the Les Paul and the Strat. So were the greats really wrong?
Yamaha FS800
Fender Player Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Special
Epiphone Gold Glory Jared James Nichols
Old 08-19-2020, 01:47 PM

No they were not wrong. When you play and earn at that level, you do not need a versatile do it all guitar. You can have the guitars that you want.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 08-19-2020, 02:45 PM

Now first of all you have to seperate things between live, and studio.

For live if you change your time frame from the 60's through the seventies, the tele is in with the big boys on stage. Mid-Late seventies through the 90s and up to today lots of things changed. I used to go to big name, live, small coliseum shows where a wall of amps was the primary sound. The advent of serious PA systems changed things. The music changed as well. Guitar pedals became incredibly versatile and affordable. Crazy digital rack units. The list goes on and on. A "middle of the road" tone going into the board/rack became more valuable than the guitar having a personality. Name your favorite current Les Paul player. It doesn't matter if they are playing a real 59 or 60, or if they are playing a nice Epi. By the time the sound hits you, all that matters is that the strings were vibrating over a decent set of humbuckers.

For studio Teles are still in the top 3, actually, let's add 335s and call it top 4. A great "dry" tone is still highly prized.
Old 08-19-2020, 03:29 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Mike Bloomfield, Roy Buchanan, Danny Gatton, Jeff Beck, B.B. King, Jimmy Page, Syd Barett, David Gilmour, Jeff Buckley, James Burton, Mike Campbell, Jim Campilongo, Steve Cropper, Denny Diaz, Noel Gallagher, Vince Gill, George Harrison, Steve Howe, Chrissie Hynde,Albert Lee, Mike Oldfield, Bruce Springsteen, Joe Strummer, Tommy Tedesco, Joe Walsh, Clarence White, need I list more people who did significant work with the Tele?

We must come to recognize that guitars, like clothes, jewelry, hair, furs, etc., are fashion items. More, HERE.

Be like David Gilmour: the right tool for the job, whatever it is.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-19-2020, 04:12 PM

There’s no shortage of great names associated with the Tele. Arguably we’d be remiss not to mention the SG, the 335, or Gretsch’s contribution to popular music. But, I’m talking about the seeming cultural shift (or is it that Tele fans are the most vocal?) among guitarists today towards the Telecaster. Historically underappreciated, arguably. But its a whole nuther ball game when their fans seem to imply the Telecaster should have been the axe of choice instead of the Strat or the LP.

I can see why some people are advocates for the Tele because its capable of occupying a middle ground between the Fender and Gibson sound. But, I can’t help but assume all those great players of the past knew about the Tele but chose a Strat or Les Paul for the unique tones that the Tele didnt deliver to their ears.
Yamaha FS800
Gibson Les Paul Special
Old 08-19-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
...We must come to recognize that guitars, like clothes, jewelry, hair, furs, etc., are fashion items. More, HERE.
That link is priceless...
Old 08-19-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I’d add “Don’t waste your money for a Fender on the headstock. A Squier Classic Vibe will give you real Fender tone”
Yamaha FS800
Gibson Les Paul Special
Old 08-19-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian111 View Post
There’s no shortage of great names associated with the Tele. Arguably we’d be remiss not to mention the SG, the 335, or Gretsch’s contribution to popular music. But, I’m talking about the seeming cultural shift (or is it that Tele fans are the most vocal?) among guitarists today towards the Telecaster.
I think the shift you are talking about might be the growing group of middle aged, intermediate home guitarist with decent, but not crazy money, who doesn't want a "stadium" rock sound. That big sound was the goal for twenty years starting in the late seventies. From KISS through Hair Metal, to Pearl Jam. Lots of people chased the humbucker through Marshall and enormo-pedal board. Spoiler. It's super easy and not that fulfilling. Sure you can tweak it until you die, but the rig does a lot of the work for you.

The current shift, if there is one, is most likely the shift towards 5 watt, class A, "clean" tone with power section distortion. And I'm exaggerating a little. It's not all five watt vintage sounding amps. But a lot of folks have turned to the joys of a guitar with personality direct into great 1x12 tube amp. Maybe a little tremolo or reverb. Nailing "sleepwalk" is a lot more fulfilling than "Paradise City"

Old 08-19-2020, 05:12 PM

Default The Birth of Loud

From another thread, I picked this book up and it was good read. You might find it interesting.

https://www.amazon.com/Birth-Loud-Fe.../dp/1501141651
Old 08-19-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
I think the shift you are talking about might be the growing group of middle aged, intermediate home guitarist with decent, but not crazy money, who doesn't want a "stadium" rock sound. That big sound was the goal for twenty years starting in the late seventies. From KISS through Hair Metal, to Pearl Jam. Lots of people chased the humbucker through Marshall and enormo-pedal board. Spoiler. It's super easy and not that fulfilling. Sure you can tweak it until you die, but the rig does a lot of the work for you.

The current shift, if there is one, is most likely the shift towards 5 watt, class A, "clean" tone with power section distortion. And I'm exaggerating a little. It's not all five watt vintage sounding amps. But a lot of folks have turned to the joys of a guitar with personality direct into great 1x12 tube amp. Maybe a little tremolo or reverb. Nailing "sleepwalk" is a lot more fulfilling than "Paradise City"

Agreed.

Along with 80's metal, there was that whole 80's new romantic movement also. (The only people playing Telecasters around that time more or less were the rusted on country guys or people playing country/pop/rock).

At some point thereafter though, the Telecaster (like the Jazzmaster to a less extent) made a comeback in pop/rock music and I think sometimes today the cool factor of playing a Telecaster is more than that of a Stratocaster, even if the Stratocaster is subjectively the more iconic and versatile of the two guitars.

Last edited by Steel and wood; 08-19-2020 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-19-2020, 05:45 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Thank you kindly. It is autobiographical. I'm afraid I lived through those phases.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-19-2020, 06:17 PM

I agree with David Gilmour. He said any equipment and a few minutes will get him his sound. I prefer some guitars over others but I could pick up any good playing one get through four sets.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 08-19-2020, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian111 View Post
But, I’m talking about the seeming cultural shift (or is it that Tele fans are the most vocal?) among guitarists today towards the Telecaster. Historically underappreciated, arguably. But its a whole nuther ball game when their fans seem to imply the Telecaster should have been the axe of choice instead of the Strat or the LP.
OK, where are you seeing this? I follow this stuff pretty closely, and I have no idea what you're referring to. I can't imagine any competent player saying something like "the Telecaster should have been the axe of choice instead of the Strat or the LP." That's just moronic, and I can honestly say I have never heard that sentiment expressed. What are you reading or listening to?
Old 08-19-2020, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
...a lot of folks have turned to the joys of a guitar with personality direct into a great 1x12" tube amp. Maybe a little tremolo or reverb...
Some of us knew this all along: a 3-PU Gretsch semi, a blue-light Bugera V22 - just guitar/cable/amp and a Cool Cat trem pedal - and I'm good to go for just about any style/setting...
Old 08-19-2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
OK, where are you seeing this? I follow this stuff pretty closely, and I have no idea what you're referring to. I can't imagine any competent player saying something like "the Telecaster should have been the axe of choice instead of the Strat or the LP." That's just moronic, and I can honestly say I have never heard that sentiment expressed. What are you reading or listening to?
No one is going to explicitly say Hendrix should have used a Tele or that Page should have stuck with the Tele either. No one is going to win that argument. But there are plenty of Youtube videos and internet posts saying Tele is all anyone needs, Leo should have stopped with the Tele, etc etc. I follow this stuff too. Like I said in my previous post their fans “seem to imply” how anyone can choose a Tele over a Strat for example when the Tele is so superior.
Yamaha FS800
Gibson Les Paul Special

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars