The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-26-2012, 08:56 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoloff View Post
I am glad they stayed with the 24.9......sorry Larry. And throwing me in with the normal people could be a stretch.
Okay...how about the "more normal than me-folks"?

100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 12-26-2012, 10:03 PM

"The trouble with normal is it only gets worse".....Bruce Cockburn..
Old 12-27-2012, 10:02 AM

"I think I would go for one of the colors? On this guitar it just seems to fit?"

Usually, I don't care for painted color finishes on my guitars. However, it just seems to work with these. I would still probably go with the clear finish, but the pewter and green look particularly nice to my eye.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:16 PM

Please help me decide if i should ditch my CA CARGO for this pretty Rainsong Parlor?
Old 12-31-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulfillingsoul View Post
Please help me decide if i should ditch my CA CARGO for this pretty Rainsong Parlor?
That is just what I am thinking too!
Barb
Old 12-31-2012, 09:26 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
I won't....
Old 01-01-2013, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I won't....
Oh please educate me. I'm curious on your views.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:55 AM

Just keep both
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-01-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Just keep both
I agree. Two very different guitars.

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 01-01-2013, 08:24 AM

It will be fascinating where this new Rainsong will fit into the world of small guitars, need to play it first but I imagine it will take its market share and maybe more. Price tag is only competitive issue in this space.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 01-01-2013, 08:30 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Oh please educate me. I'm curious on your views.
I love my Cargo, simple as that. Although this new Rainsong may sound good, I'd never pay that much for one, and personally, there isn't a model in Rainsong's line-up that appeals to me visually. I've never played a Rainsong, but I'm just not drawn to them. All JMO.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:28 AM
Humanist

Quote:
Huge difference in scale length, 22.75" Cargo vs. 24.9" Rainsong Parlor.

That would most likely be the deciding factor for me (all other things being equal...which they seldom are), but others will have their own preferences (of course)!
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 01-01-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I love the Cargo too much to advise anyone to "ditch" theirs. If all you need is a great travel guitar than you are covered, but if you are looking for something much more versatile and still travel friendly than I would suggest looking in to the new Rainsong Parlor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I love my Cargo, simple as that. Although this new Rainsong may sound good, I'd never pay that much for one...
I also love my Cargo, it's a fantastic travel guitar that is being offered at a great price, the problem is that price is too low for any manufacturer to make a profit on it. CA couldn't do it and Peavey wont be able to do it either without going to cheaper materials and building them over seas, short of that they will need to raise the price.

Peavey has in fact quietly raised the street price of the OX RAW (think no finish) without electronics from $999 to $1399, and the gloss with LR Baggs Element from $1599 to $1999. I'm told the Cargo and the OX cost about the same to build so my guess is they will try the same price hike with the Cargo. Would you be as excited about the Cargo RAW without electronics priced at $1399? How about $1999 for a gloss Cargo with LR Baggs? I didn't think so.

Quote:
and personally, there isn't a model in Rainsong's line-up that appeals to me visually. I've never played a Rainsong, but I'm just not drawn to them. All JMO.
What don't you like Tom, the traditional styling?
Old 01-01-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
It will be fascinating where this new Rainsong will fit into the world of small guitars, need to play it first but I imagine it will take its market share and maybe more. Price tag is only competitive issue in this space.

I think it will appeal to anyone who enjoys a smaller guitar but of course it makes an excellent travel companion as well. I've been playing mine for a week now and in addition to the size I think the tone will be a huge selling point. It has a rich warm tone with a much fuller voice than I was expecting. It's an amazing fingerstyle guitar but it's not afraid of a flat pick, and it sounds great plugged in. Everyone who has tried it has liked it.

As for price, $1849 without and $1999 with Fishman Prefix Plus T along with the gorgeous gloss finish and hardshell case is where it needs to be. I'm sure we will see an FT version which will lower the price by a few hundred more but I think the gloss will be the best seller.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:02 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
What don't you like Tom, the traditional styling?
Hey Ted! There's that. Also, from what I can tell, the finishes don't turn my crank and the body stylings don't seem curvatious enough in the right places for my taste. Plus, although I would go no fret markers, I don't particularly like the shark look they use for inlay. There are too many other brands/models I'd rather have. of course, like I said, I've never played a Rainsong, but I doubt it's tone would sway me enough to want one.

Re the Cargo pricing, I guess I bought at the right time if peavey will raise their prices that much. I won't sell my Cargo, but maybe I should hang-on to my GXi for a while longer and see what happens to its value. I won't though if I can sell it soon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber