The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-09-2009, 05:19 PM

Default Best way to record a guitar on a PC?

Hello,

I got a taylor 314ce recently, and after I learned how to play some things on it, I decided to test the electronics out on my PC with a 1/4 toa 1/8th adapter. It worked fine, but I had to turn my soundcard and speakers to 100% just to be able to hear my guitar, and then, XP made a sound and about blew my windows out.

Since I'm just now learning how to play a guitar, I dont have a amplifier to plug my guitar up too, I thought I would buy something to plug it up to my PC without having to turn my speakers up and lose quality 'cause of low signal.

I looked into the USB devices that do that, but I have no idea where to start. I want something really good, but not too expensive.

Also, I noticed some said they have effects on them. Does that add electric affects to your acoustic guitar (doubt it) or does it do something else?

I hope you all can point me in the right direction!

Thanks in advanced!
Old 03-09-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzam12 View Post
It worked fine, but I had to turn my soundcard and speakers to 100% just to be able to hear my guitar, and then, XP made a sound and about blew my windows out.
Oh man, I know exactly that feeling -- except it happened with in-ear headphones on!

Some ideas on recording... I'd recommend getting an audio interface for the computer -- that gives you a pre-amp for your signal, as well as basic EQ controls.

I have the Alesis MultiMix8, I think I paid around 250 cheezburgers for it. It comes with a decent version of Cubase for editing, connects through USB 2.0, and all 8 tracks can be recorded live. 4 inputs are balanced XLR connections w/preamp, the other 4 are 1/4 in jacks. The signal output is very clean, low noise, and it does have universal effects to choose from (yes they can be used on your acoustic -- it's now an electric, plugged in). It was the best deal by far when I was looking 6 months ago.

Some folks say a FireWire connection is the way to go, but USB 2.0 has worked great for me, with no latency problems. I think latency troubles pop up if you're running computer-generated effects on a lot of channels.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:59 PM

What's your budget? You could get a Zoom H4 and either use it as an interface or just record on it and transfer the recording to the computer via USB.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:02 PM

Audacity, free online: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Record through your microphone input.
1991 Fender American Std. Stratocaster: Keystone single coils and updated controls/wiring
Old 03-09-2009, 06:07 PM

Unhappy Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstotts View Post
Oh man, I know exactly that feeling -- except it happened with in-ear headphones on!
I hope your ears have recovered all the way by now!

I forgot to mention that I need a device that can record the sound. I imagine it can, but I dont see where it says?

Also, Does the unit turn the mono from the guitar into a sterio signal?

If so, I think I found the perfect device!

Thanks alot!
Old 03-09-2009, 06:09 PM

Well, I didn't want to spend much over $120 or so, but I tend to when I can get some extra features
Old 03-09-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpp View Post
Record through your microphone input.

Would that have a stronger signal, less quality loss, and less window damage then a 1/8th line in plug?
Old 03-09-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Would that have a stronger signal, less quality loss, and less window damage then a 1/8th line in plug?
Yeah the problem with going straight from the guitar output to the soundcard is that the output level might be way to low (and by the sounds of it this is the case).

Computer soundcards generally are very low quality...

Like others have pointed out, the cheapest solution would be the replace the weakest link in your recording chain: the sound card.

What you'd want is an audio interface. Depending if you're using a laptop or a desktop computer you could choose between:

-a PCI card interface which would be installed right into your computer (desktops only)
-a USB interface
-or a FireWire interface

They have many of these around the $100-200 mark. Once you have one of these, you can plug your guitar right into it and you'll get a much better recording than your current setup.

If you really don't want to spend much, try just using a digital camera or a webcam (which you may already have). There's many people who record on YouTube at pretty low quality but they can still rock it ^_^
Old 03-09-2009, 06:21 PM

A couple store links to a wide variety of audio interfaces:

http://www.zzounds.com/cat--Audio-Interfaces--2418

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...=100001+344115
Old 03-09-2009, 06:34 PM

I built my own desktop, so I could buy a PCI card and isntall it with no problems, but we do have two laptops in the house and I think a USB one would be the best way to go at first, as long as it dosn't have any sound delay.

I'll research more on the multimix 8 and look through the sites you gave me.

Thanks for all the help! I'm still open to suggestions.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

I use a Tascam US-122, but I don't think its available anymore. I think you would be better off with a Zoom H2 as acoustic sounds better when recorded with a mic and the H2 has them built in.

Andantino:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Old 03-09-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I use a Tascam US-122, but I don't think its available anymore. I think you would be better off with a Zoom H2 as acoustic sounds better when recorded with a mic and the H2 has them built in.
The Taylor's have the ES system in it, which should sound like you put a mic to it they say, but would that work good on my seagull S6, which has no electronics yet? (I plan on adding on to it)
Old 03-10-2009, 04:32 AM
Charter Member

I just bought a used Boss Micro BR on Ebay for $150 shipped. Something like that is all you need. Lots of 'extra features' and pretty close to your budget. You can get them new for just under $200. http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...x?ObjectId=818

Last edited by dragon1952; 03-10-2009 at 04:41 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
I forgot to mention that I need a device that can record the sound. I imagine it can, but I dont see where it says?
The MulitMix is essentially a 8 track mixer with the availablility of USB output for digital recording. No mic built in!

Quote:
Also, Does the unit turn the mono from the guitar into a stereo signal?
A mono signal is one channel of audio, which gets sent to both Left and Right on a stereo set up (for instance, headphones). So to answer your question, yes. But in your case, it may not matter...

With the ES, it actually outputs a balanced signal. A lot of folks use a mono cable (the standard 1/4 in.) -- but that actually leads to a 6 db drop in output. Using a TRS (tip-ring-sleeve) cable and plugging into a balanced input (like an XLR jack), will pass a much hotter signal to the board. Now, this is hotly debated, but there is no improvement in signal quality using the TRS. However, since at the mixer you don't have to amplify the signal as much -- in effect you get a cleaner, less hissy signal. Personally, when I plug in to a PA system, I have to insist that the sound guy first turn the gain on the channel waaay down -- otherwise it is blow-the-speakers loud. BTW, in sound theory, a gain of 3 db is twice as loud - so a 6 db gain is 4x as loud!

Quote:
The Taylor's have the ES system in it, which should sound like you put a mic to it they say, but would that work good on my seagull S6, which has no electronics yet? (I plan on adding on to it)
The ES system doesn't hold a candle to a mic -- even a cheap one. Without a preamp, the ES will sound slightly magnetic, and needs the mids scooped out. Even with a preamp, the tone sounds great for a pickup, but lacks presence and won't pickup percussive sounds well.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by jstotts; 03-10-2009 at 08:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-11-2009, 04:14 PM

Oh yea, and I agree about the Zoom H4 -- it would do nicely if you just wanted to record 1 guitar, and it's tiny mics give very good sound quality.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell