The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 04-07-2021, 11:47 AM
Wrighty's Avatar
Wrighty Wrighty is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Itchen Stoke, UK
Posts: 1,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzy View Post
You sound a lot like me. I've tried almost every string combination out there, and I like normal Alabastro too.

I made the switch to gut and I'm never going back but I don't use nails, and I'm a few whole steps down....actually Bb, F, Bb, D, F, Bb...which I absolutely love. If you only play in standard 440A with nails gut might not work so well, but give it a try you might love it !

I use Pyramid gut bases and Gamut trebles, but not their normal trebles for classical guitars because I'm in a low tuning. The bases are absolutely perfect though just the right amount of deep fundamental and overtones.

My instrument just sings in a way it never did before. It's totally addicting and mesmerizing.


Yes, gut definitely intrigues me but I have to admit to being put of by the price! I also like to be able to play at 415hz up to 440hz depending on the piece.

I am sure I will give them a try at some point..
__________________
Burguet AC-007 (2003 - Cedar/Rosewood)
Webber OM (2009 - Sitka/Sapele)


https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-07-2021, 12:18 PM
jhh112 jhh112 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 6
Default Lifetime of Thomastik/Pearce 116 strings?

These sound interesting, but pricey. How long do they last compared to more ordinary (and cheaper) classical strings?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-07-2021, 02:06 PM
AndreF AndreF is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzy View Post
You sound a lot like me. I've tried almost every string combination out there, and I like normal Alabastro too.

I made the switch to gut and I'm never going back but I don't use nails, and I'm a few whole steps down....actually Bb, F, Bb, D, F, Bb...which I absolutely love. If you only play in standard 440A with nails gut might not work so well, but give it a try you might love it !

I use Pyramid gut bases and Gamut trebles, but not their normal trebles for classical guitars because I'm in a low tuning. The bases are absolutely perfect though just the right amount of deep fundamental and overtones.

My instrument just sings in a way it never did before. It's totally addicting and mesmerizing.
That sounds intriguing and itís always nice to hear experiences from people for things that have turned out well for them.
You wouldnít happen to have any recording samples by any chance? I would love to hear how these strings sound, and the music at the low tuning you use.
Doesnít have to be anything elaborate!
__________________
Best regards,
Andre
Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-07-2021, 02:29 PM
xzy xzy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: In the past
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhh112 View Post
These sound interesting, but pricey. How long do they last compared to more ordinary (and cheaper) classical strings?
I'm still on my original set of strings it's been several months and they still sound great, maybe better than when new. I have no plans changing strings for a long time.

The bases are unbelievably amazing. I would highly recommend just buying Pyramid gut bases, you could use nylon trebles just to try the bases before committing to gut trebles. The bases can be special ordered from Strings by mail...they're super to deal with.

You could buy a full set ( $100 ) but I didn't like the trebles ( you might )....Gamut has better trebles for classical IMO. I have thicker strings because my tuning is so low....my 1st string is sheep gut, but the 2nd and 3rd are what's called Pistoy gut.

No audio samples...but I compose all of my music. I understand music theory quite well.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-08-2021, 10:22 AM
MinorKey MinorKey is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Darlington UK
Posts: 179
Default

Anyone use Ernie Ball Earthwood strings? Just curious about em

Edit: Sorry, I didn't realise this was in Classical Guitar. I just saw the topic in Today on the AGF
__________________
You don't stop playing when you get old, you get old when you stop playing!
Fender DG5 natural
Tanglewood Discovery Super Folk DBT SFCE TBL
Tanglewood TU13M ukulele
Deacon A style mandolin
Jose Ferrer Estudiante Classical (bridge is lifting)
Brunswick BU4B baritone ukulele
Valencia VC204H classical

Last edited by MinorKey; 04-08-2021 at 11:56 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-08-2021, 11:33 AM
Wrighty's Avatar
Wrighty Wrighty is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Itchen Stoke, UK
Posts: 1,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzy View Post
You sound a lot like me. I've tried almost every string combination out there, and I like normal Alabastro too.

I made the switch to gut and I'm never going back but I don't use nails, and I'm a few whole steps down....actually Bb, F, Bb, D, F, Bb...which I absolutely love. If you only play in standard 440A with nails gut might not work so well, but give it a try you might love it !

I use Pyramid gut bases and Gamut trebles, but not their normal trebles for classical guitars because I'm in a low tuning. The bases are absolutely perfect though just the right amount of deep fundamental and overtones.

My instrument just sings in a way it never did before. It's totally addicting and mesmerizing.
So I am excited to tell you I have ordered some unvarnished gut treble strings from Bow brands (they are harp strings) and some Aquila Seta silk wound basses - as recommended by Rob MacKillop. I am very interested to hear what these will sound like and will record something and post it here in due course..
__________________
Burguet AC-007 (2003 - Cedar/Rosewood)
Webber OM (2009 - Sitka/Sapele)


https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-08-2021, 02:14 PM
Taylor814 Taylor814 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 469
Default

I generally like D'Addario EJ46 nylons on my Cervantes, but I recently tried the Dynacore Titanium Trebles EJ46TT. I really liked the treble tone, which has a really nice bright snap to it. The trebles stayed at pitch after a few days (the standard EJ46 nylons can take up to a week) and the Dynacore bases lasted for about 6 months compared to about a month for EJ46s (at an hour per day play everyday). I have an EJ46 nylon three pack I have to use up but I think I will return to the TTs when the nylons are done.
__________________
Larry

Martin OM-28 Authentic 1931
Martin 0M-18 Authentic 1933
Taylor Cocobolo GCce 2008 Fall Limited Edition
Paragon Cocobolo/cedar GOM
Cervantes Signature Rodriguez
Tacoma JM1612C
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-09-2021, 06:34 PM
Alytw Alytw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
So I am excited to tell you I have ordered some unvarnished gut treble strings from Bow brands (they are harp strings) and some Aquila Seta silk wound basses - as recommended by Rob MacKillop. I am very interested to hear what these will sound like and will record something and post it here in due course..
Thatís awesome. I always wanted to try gut but Iíve been reluctant because of the cost/longevity. For whatever reason my nails get really sharp. I knick strings like crazy.

Good luck with these. I await the update.

Adam
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-09-2021, 07:38 PM
Carey Carey is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Los Osos CA
Posts: 480
Default

I'm interested in hearing how it goes with gut, too. I tried them a couple of times- one set from LaBella, the other brand I don't remember- but quickly
made a mess of the first string in both cases (I was using nails, and thought they were well-manicured at the time). The sound was nice while it lasted,
especially (hah!) the first string..
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old Yesterday, 01:59 AM
Wrighty's Avatar
Wrighty Wrighty is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Itchen Stoke, UK
Posts: 1,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey View Post
I'm interested in hearing how it goes with gut, too. I tried them a couple of times- one set from LaBella, the other brand I don't remember- but quickly

made a mess of the first string in both cases (I was using nails, and thought they were well-manicured at the time). The sound was nice while it lasted,

especially (hah!) the first string..


I have my expectations firmly in check with regards durability. Iíll pair them with some Aquila Seta silk basses which are apparently great but also fragile.

Honestly, I donít think they will represent a continued option (although the price of the gut from Bow is very reasonable if you buy longer lengths) and more than likely Iíll revert to Alabastroís which I like very much.
__________________
Burguet AC-007 (2003 - Cedar/Rosewood)
Webber OM (2009 - Sitka/Sapele)


https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM
Wrighty's Avatar
Wrighty Wrighty is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Itchen Stoke, UK
Posts: 1,887
Default

IMG_2289.jpg

So they arrived...

Very efficient and helpful service from Bow - super impressed.
__________________
Burguet AC-007 (2003 - Cedar/Rosewood)
Webber OM (2009 - Sitka/Sapele)


https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM
Carey Carey is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Los Osos CA
Posts: 480
Default

>So they arrived...
Very efficient and helpful service from Bow - super impressed. <

Cool. Interested in hearing about your experience w/ gut- it's been a long time
since I tried them. Also, the mention of Alabastro trebles reminded me that
I have briefly-used set here; maybe I'll put them on again in the morning, just for fun.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old Today, 03:12 AM
Wrighty's Avatar
Wrighty Wrighty is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Itchen Stoke, UK
Posts: 1,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey View Post
>So they arrived...
Very efficient and helpful service from Bow - super impressed. <

Cool. Interested in hearing about your experience w/ gut- it's been a long time
since I tried them. Also, the mention of Alabastro trebles reminded me that
I have briefly-used set here; maybe I'll put them on again in the morning, just for fun.
I will be sure to post an update and hopefully a short audio file too.

I may take the Alabastro's off and keep them aside in order to get a decent comparison.
__________________
Burguet AC-007 (2003 - Cedar/Rosewood)
Webber OM (2009 - Sitka/Sapele)


https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old Today, 07:01 AM
xzy xzy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: In the past
Posts: 35
Default

I'm not an authority on gut but I've done my research. We can't lump all gut in the same category, just like we can't lump all guitars the same way. There are many kinds of gut weaved and twisted in many different ways.

I think if someone plays 440A with gut trebles for instance, the gut diameter will have to be thin to keep the tension within reason, but the sound may be thin. This gut will normally be made from Steer Serosa the outer and tough part of the intestine. It's fibers will normally be twisted around 15 degrees to keep it stronger for the higher tension, but that also means it's less compliant.

Other types of gut or even Steer Serosa can be made with a higher twist ratio. The fibers can be wrapped at 45 degrees or more making the string much more compliant and imo musical, but a lower overall tension is recommended.

It's important to know what gut you have, the twist ratio, and the exact diameter, so you can start to gain knowledge and insight as you experiment.

I have custom trebles from Gamut, not the ones they sell for classical, but I did start there for a baseline. They are good trebles with three different diameters so you can choose which ones you like. I went beyond that....

1st string is .68mm Sheep gut
2nd .88mm Pistoy gut
3rd 1.04mm Pistoy gut
4th .032 silver plated on gut ( Pyramid )
5th .038 silver plated on gut ( Pyramid )
6th .048 silver plated on gut ( Pyramid )

I use a much lower tuning that's why my trebles are thicker, but my bases are standard that Pyramid sells, they work extremely well for me. I want to add that my total tension is only 54 pounds. That may seem ridiculously low, but not for my guitar. I have all the volume I could want, and it just sings and sings.

I've used Alabastro trebles and like them, but imo they are nothing like gut. Here is an extremely useful calculator I've used to understand what my treble tensions are. You can play with what A pitch you want, then play with the other variables....it's easy to figure out. It was extremely helpful in understanding exactly what tension is on each treble string.

http://www.gamutstrings.com/calculators/calculator.htm

Last edited by xzy; Today at 07:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old Today, 09:37 AM
Wrighty's Avatar
Wrighty Wrighty is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Itchen Stoke, UK
Posts: 1,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzy View Post
I'm not an authority on gut but I've done my research. We can't lump all gut in the same category, just like we can't lump all guitars the same way. There are many kinds of gut weaved and twisted in many different ways.

I think if someone plays 440A with gut trebles for instance, the gut diameter will have to be thin to keep the tension within reason, but the sound may be thin. This gut will normally be made from Steer Serosa the outer and tough part of the intestine. It's fibers will normally be twisted around 15 degrees to keep it stronger for the higher tension, but that also means it's less compliant.

Other types of gut or even Steer Serosa can be made with a higher twist ratio. The fibers can be wrapped at 45 degrees or more making the string much more compliant and imo musical, but a lower overall tension is recommended.

It's important to know what gut you have, the twist ratio, and the exact diameter, so you can start to gain knowledge and insight as you experiment.

I have custom trebles from Gamut, not the ones they sell for classical, but I did start there for a baseline. They are good trebles with three different diameters so you can choose which ones you like. I went beyond that....

1st string is .68mm Sheep gut
2nd .88mm Pistoy gut
3rd 1.04mm Pistoy gut
4th .032 silver plated on gut ( Pyramid )
5th .038 silver plated on gut ( Pyramid )
6th .048 silver plated on gut ( Pyramid )

I use a much lower tuning that's why my trebles are thicker, but my bases are standard that Pyramid sells, they work extremely well for me. I want to add that my total tension is only 54 pounds. That may seem ridiculously low, but not for my guitar. I have all the volume I could want, and it just sings and sings.

I've used Alabastro trebles and like them, but imo they are nothing like gut. Here is an extremely useful calculator I've used to understand what my treble tensions are. You can play with what A pitch you want, then play with the other variables....it's easy to figure out. It was extremely helpful in understanding exactly what tension is on each treble string.

http://www.gamutstrings.com/calculators/calculator.htm
Very interesting info - thanks for sharing that.

I cannot find out what type of gut these strings are - Bow's website is not specific.

I have 0.62 / 0.8 / 1mm diameters for my top 3.

I tend to play at either A:415 or A:432 so will try these at both.

I'll certainly try the calculator - thanks for that.
__________________
Burguet AC-007 (2003 - Cedar/Rosewood)
Webber OM (2009 - Sitka/Sapele)


https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=