The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-17-2005, 11:44 PM

Default "Safe Home:" song of support for the troops

About a year ago I think I posted a link to the rough (or was it the live?) version of a song I wrote called "Safe Home," which prays for the safety and the return of our troops, regardless of how one feels about why they're over there. Fast forward to today: one of my singing partners, Stephen Lee Rich of Madison, WI and I have sent the first Andina & Rich CD, "Because We Can," to the pressing plant for a Sept. release on Madison's Travenia label. On it is our version of "Safe Home," with me on lead guitar (using my 414rce direct in from the ES) and lead vocal. It's been submitted to "All Songs Considered" and is already on the playlists at Wisconsin Public Radio. Tonight I sang it at a vigil for Cindy Sheehan, hosted by a neighbor who has a son in Iraq. A copy is now on its way to Sheehan in Crawford, TX. If you want to hear it, there's a streaming link at
http://www.stephenleerich.com

(by now it may even be a download)

I can also e-mail an mp3.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:37 AM

Sandy, that is a really nice tune. Well written and well performed! You and Stephen have a nice thing going there!
Old 08-18-2005, 06:21 AM

That was great. Very well done. I started to tear up on that one.

I was a soldier in the army from 1983 to 1989 and understand the dedication and commitment that these people have taken upon them selves.

When ever I watch the news, I always push all the politics, news reporters, and spokes people aside. Because in the back ground you will see the soldiers doing their jobs, and in their hearts and minds they are doing it for the right reasons.

I posted a song on another thread that I wrote about being a soldier. I am not nearly as talented as you but would like to devote it to this thread as well.

http://home.comcast.net/~bcalvanese/Soldier.mp3

Thank you very much for taking your time out to honor our soldiers through your talent.

God bless you. And God bless our soldiers.

bobc
Old 08-21-2005, 08:05 PM

Sandy,

Beautiful song! I'm a recently retired Navy Chief Petty Officer who prior to retiring served a tour in Iraq/Kuwait with 1st Marine Expeditionary Force in 2003. I particularly liked the apolitical lyrics which I believe reflect the sentiments of the greater number of Americans.

Thank you for sharing, God bless our Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, Coast Guardsmen and Airmen and as in the lyric of your song, see them "safe home."

Folkman
Old 08-22-2005, 02:46 AM

I am touched and gratified by the response to this song. My dad worked in a torpedo factory (at even lower pay than his former high school teaching job) during WWII because he was partially deaf and 4-F; my uncle was a WWII vet in Italy, my husband's uncle in Japan, my boss is a Korean War vet who got a Bronze Star, and my best friend in law school, may he rest in peace, was a combat medic in Vietnam and at the time of his death had just become a JAG appellate officer. My neighbor's son Sean joined ROTC at Notre Dame on Sept. 12, 2001, never expecting to be sent anywhere but Afghanistan. He is just outside Fallujah. My husband's medical partner's son, a military linguist, is serving in Kuwait at age 42. The owner of one of my favorite places to play, 8th Street Coffeehouse in Escanaba, MI, is a reservist, and was recently deployed to Basra. He is 51 years old. My husband's colleague, a general surgeon, is doing his second tour of duty in the Gulf--he's 62.

I don't know anyone who does not have a friend, neighbor or loved one in the military. Regardless of whether or why they wanted to be there, they are putting their lives on the line every single day because that is what their--our--country asks of them. And no matter what we feel about why they are there, they deserve our gratitude, love and prayers.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:18 PM

Sandy,

Before deploying for Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2003, many reservists where called up to fill manning shortfalls, especially in the medical field. I was attached to 4th Medical Battalion which was part of 1st Marine Expeditionary Force. 4th Med was an all Reserve Battalion from Pennsylvania and the East Coast whose primary mission was to provide medical support for the Marines. The general attitude before deployment was that of "Lets get going, Get it Done, so we can go back home." Now almost a year and a half later, Many have volunteered for and have or are serving second tours in Iraq. If I hadn't retired last December (26 yrs service and lot's of family pressure), I would be serving a second tour as well.

When a shipmate of mine was prepping for a second tour he told me that he's going back because the job is not done yet. That's my feeling too. Irregardless of the reasons we went to Iraq in the first place, the fact of the matter is that we're there. Most of the people I know serving there are just trying to do their jobs as best they can so they can "Get it Done" and all of them can all get on that "Freedom Bird" and back home. To a man/woman, no one wants to cut and run they all want to finish the job we started. Seems they have more resolve than some back home. Maybe because they see the real story live (as I did) day to day over there and don't have to rely on the news to tell them what's happening and then decide which way the story is slanted.

God Bless them!

Folkman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell