The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-22-2020, 06:45 PM

[/QUOTE]If you look carefully, that piece of wood is cut at an angle of 14.6358752 degrees. I orient the proper side to the exterior wall of the shop at a distance of 7.875 inches as is proper and recommended in the Luthier's Penal Code section 783:24 sub-paragraph 3. I rechecked with my atomic protractor this morning, after I arose at the exact hour of 5:30 AM, PST. Thank you very much.[/QUOTE]

Well, that should clear that up completely Steve.

Some pics from the progress:

I like to call this one guitar gymnastics, this entire tower appears to be mounted to a single vice grip mounted on a pole...no problem.

nautilus sides clamping.jpg

All the blocks glued in and unclamped:

nautilus sides done.jpg

Ben's philosophy on the stiff sides: "Here are the sides, all glued up together with the blocks. Because the sides are laminated, this is a very strong assembly. I can imagine it lending a lot of strength to the guitar. The top and back are pretty frail creatures, and so are the sides, when they are just bent wood- it’s the combination of sides and plates that makes it adequately strong."

I think this is in line with the more "modern" building philosophy. Something I learned from the Bruce Sexauer seminar last year at B.I.G.

nautilus sides done 2.jpg

Close up of the side construct:

nautilus sides done 3.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nautilus sides finished 2.jpg (28.3 KB, 293 views)

Last edited by TomB'sox; 01-22-2020 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:47 PM

There has been a little back and forth on Ben's shop. I have been there and what I can add is that every usable space is being used in a very efficient manner. A couple of shop pics just because.

nautilus shop pics 1.jpg nautilus shop pics.jpg
Old 01-22-2020, 06:51 PM

Final post of the day...a couple of pictures of the plates:

Ben is building two Nautilii for B.I.G. (er), one is mine and one is a spec...here are the 4 plates for the two guitars:

nautilus 4 plates.jpg

Close up of my BRW and Tunnel 14 Redwood top:

nautilox top and back.jpg
Old 01-22-2020, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

Smile A lot of math!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilbornGuitars View Post
If you look carefully, that piece of wood is cut at an angle of 14.6358752 degrees. I orient the proper side to the exterior wall of the shop at a distance of 7.875 inches as is proper and recommended in the Luthier's Penal Code section 783:24 sub-paragraph 3. I rechecked with my atomic protractor this morning, after I arose at the exact hour of 5:30 AM, PST. Thank you very much.[/QUOTE]

Math was never my strong suit. But my wife's Dad used to say "if you are going to lie, use statistics and act positive!"

This axe will Kick Butt

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 01-23-2020, 03:44 AM
Music soothes the soul!

I agree with Paul. This guitar will kick butt!

We are gonna have a glorious time at B.I.G.er

Last edited by cigarfan; 01-25-2020 at 05:33 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-23-2020, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Really excited to see this guitar underway, Ben and Tom!

Love the woods and of course, the design of this guitar. Very cool to see the wenge used on the interior lamination--great choice IMO.

Can't wait to A/B/C all three of these guitars at BIG(er)!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 01-24-2020, 03:30 PM

Default Cool little video today!

Ben sent me this surprise video today of the innards of my build. It is nice in that he explains what everything is and the reason for it. It also secondarily shows the workmanship that not only Ben, but a lot of these luthiers put into the guitars, even on parts that can't be seen! I think it is a pride that goes beyond just building a guitar!

Old 01-24-2020, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Ben sent me this surprise video today of the innards of my build. It is nice in that he explains what everything is and the reason for it. It also secondarily shows the workmanship that not only Ben, but a lot of these luthiers put into the guitars, even on parts that can't be seen! I think it is a pride that goes beyond just building a guitar!
Ben only did that to save us from being tempted to dismantle it at BIG'er to check out all his fine work.

I really appreciate his pride in craftsmanship. I once bought a uke made by one of the top classical guitar builders. It sounded fantastic, but it looked like my then 10 year old daughter put it together. It was shockingly messy. I bought it from a guy who had several of his guitars and he said, "Yeah, they're the same. What do you expect for $10K and a 3-year wait? ;-)"

I think Ben should start offering scent options in his kerfling. Since I already have a Wilborn and it smells of cedar, maybe I want the next one to smell like wintergreen or something. LOL.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

I'm like you, Tom, in that I like the tops that have some oxidation and character.

It occurred to me after looking at the plates for your Nautilox again that I don't recall if you're doing any kind of burst or shading treatment on this top. Anything in the works along those lines for this guitar?
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 01-24-2020, 05:31 PM

Great video Ben! Beautiful work too. I hope you document some of your arm bevel process on this also. It is always interesting to see how others do it. You always have processes that make me set back and think, Why didn't I think of that. Enjoying watching this build.
Travis
Old 01-24-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele_Eddie View Post
Ben only did that to save us from being tempted to dismantle it at BIG'er to check out all his fine work.

I really appreciate his pride in craftsmanship. I once bought a uke made by one of the top classical guitar builders. It sounded fantastic, but it looked like my then 10 year old daughter put it together. It was shockingly messy. I bought it from a guy who had several of his guitars and he said, "Yeah, they're the same. What do you expect for $10K and a 3-year wait? ;-)"

I think Ben should start offering scent options in his kerfling. Since I already have a Wilborn and it smells of cedar, maybe I want the next one to smell like wintergreen or something. LOL.

LOL, great story! Maybe you and I can corner Ben and get in on this smell therapy stuff, eucalyptus,lavender, steak....guitar scents for men and women, millions await!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
I'm like you, Tom, in that I like the tops that have some oxidation and character.

It occurred to me after looking at the plates for your Nautilox again that I don't recall if you're doing any kind of burst or shading treatment on this top. Anything in the works along those lines for this guitar?
Funny you should say that, as that is what I have been contemplating the last few days. I need to talk to Ben about it. I don't want anything as dark as the Black Lion, but just wonder if there is something to make the cross grain come to life, but not lose the character of the wood. Although looking at yours, the grain really came out as is. Hmmmm, decisions await.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:39 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Great idea on the video Ben! Unique to say the very least.

Have to say the aroma thing has been important to me for quite some time. I tell my luthiers up front … smells good is important to me. My nose goes over the sound hole every time I get one out.

Clean build. Impessively so!

Last edited by cigarfan; 01-25-2020 at 11:10 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-25-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEK View Post
Great video Ben! Beautiful work too. I hope you document some of your arm bevel process on this also. It is always interesting to see how others do it. You always have processes that make me set back and think, Why didn't I think of that. Enjoying watching this build.
Travis
Ben does seem to have a very efficient build process!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Great idea on the video Ben! Unique to say the very least.

Have to say the aroma thing has been important to m for quite some time. I tell my luthiers up front … smells good is important to me. My nose goes over the sound hole every time I get one out.

Clean build. Impessively so!
Could not agree more Dennis, it is funny how some of them just are perfect. I do not have it anymore, but I had a Ziricote Ensor guitar once that smelled so good!!! I mean seriously like a chocolate cigar. I have never had one that smelled as good as that one!
Old 01-25-2020, 11:14 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Quote:
Could not agree more Dennis, it is funny how some of them just are perfect. I do not have it anymore, but I had a Ziricote Ensor guitar once that smelled so good!!! I mean seriously like a chocolate cigar. I have never had one that smelled as good as that one!
Yeah, there is always one that stands out in the memory. Mine was an Adi/EIR Martin OM. The Rosewood smelled incredible. Didn't even need to place your nose over the sound hole. That thing would fill a room. Funny thing is the guy I sold it to didn't care about the aroma at all. To each their own!
Old 01-26-2020, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Yeah, there is always one that stands out in the memory. Mine was an Adi/EIR Martin OM. The Rosewood smelled incredible. Didn't even need to place your nose over the sound hole. That thing would fill a room. Funny thing is the guy I sold it to didn't care about the aroma at all. To each their own!
Yeah, go figure, some people hahaha.....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop