The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 03-12-2015, 06:14 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
It looks like an exact copy of Muscle Shoals which was a riveting story about unsung studio musicians behind some of the most iconic pop and rock music ever.....Watching the trailer, this one pales by comparison.

If you are very interested in a story like that I highly recommend Muscle Shoals.
I thought I knew a little bit about the muscle shoals studio musicians before watching the documentary, but I certainly learned a few things, particularly about certain songs that I didn't know we're recorded there. It's been a year or so but I think the Percy Sledge "When a Man Loves a Woman" yes?
Old 03-12-2015, 05:28 PM

Another great musical documentary is Standing in the Shadows of Motown, which chronicles the lives of the Funk Brothers, the phenomenal musicians behind all of the legendary Motown hits.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:06 AM
Charter Member

If you're interested in seeing it in the theater, you'll want to catch it this weekend. Unfortunately, its theater run will likely be short, not because it isn't a good movie which it is, but because it's considered a documentary and they don't usually have a long run.

I'm looking forward to it.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:04 AM

I have it coming on DVD because I contributed to their Kickstarter campaign to help pay for the licensing. My name will be in the credits also.

Jim
Old 03-13-2015, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC1702 View Post
I have it coming on DVD because I contributed to their Kickstarter campaign to help pay for the licensing. My name will be in the credits also.

Jim
I have a DVD coming as well, but after seeing one of the screenings, my wife and I both decided that we wanted to see it in the theater again. There is something to be said about the big screen and the theater sound. We also wanted to support this in the theater. If it does well, it might get extended past this weekend and or get picked up in more theaters.

Looking forward to it!
Old 03-13-2015, 08:32 PM

I saw The Wrecking Crew in an art house about four years ago, before the distribution got stalled because of licensing fees. So I'm glad to hear that TWC is finally getting a general release, which will hopefully bring it to Netflix, as well, so this wonderful documentary can really reach a wide audience.

I chuckled when I saw a poster calling this a copycat movie ... as TWC has been completed for a few years now; the filmmaker (the son of session guitarist Tommy Tedesco) simply hasn't been able to get the $$$ clearance of all the many hit tunes involved.

The Wrecking Crew DOES have more of a small-budget quality to it than Muscle Shoals (or the excellent 20 Feet From Stardom), but, nevertheless, TWC is an engaging doc about the people who played on the vast majority of the biggest hits during the glory days of Top 40 radio.

Some of the best moments in the movie were when Hal Blaine and Carol Kaye and a couple other musicians were talking warmly about Glen Campbell (one of their "own" who made it big) and also when they were talking admiringly about working with Brian Wilson when he was at his creative peak in the mid-1960s. Nancy Sinatra was very good, and funny, too.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:39 PM

I just finished watching it. Optimum has it "on demand" for $6.95. It would have been a bargain at 5 times the price.

Amazing music history lesson. It seems that every song ever recorded since the beginning of time had these folks playing on it!!!!
Old 03-13-2015, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaynor View Post
...I chuckled when I saw a poster calling this a copycat movie ... as TWC has been completed for a few years now;...
I chuckled at how many people ignore "Movie Twinning".

I think the eras matter much to the audience. While I respect the musical acts described in TWC, they don't even remotely move me.

The musical acts in MS, however are incredibly compelling and relevant to me so I automatically feel a significantly stronger connection there.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 03-13-2015, 09:19 PM

This movie was made years before Muscle Shoals, so therefore your insinuation of "movie twinning" is simply invalid, as pertaining to TWC being a wannabe coattail job.

Most people are indeed aware that there is a bandwagon effect for popular creations of any type, but in your post you impugned the horse, not the cart.

Last edited by jomaynor; 03-13-2015 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

Wow. Tough room, eh Fazool?

Anyway, several mentions of other films I've not seen so thanks to everyone for bringing them up. Looking forward to the Wrecking Crew tomorrow night and chasing down Muscle Shoals, etc.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:04 PM

Carol Kaye, one of the bassist depicted int the documentary, doesn't seem to like the documentary. She also doesn't like the book with the same title. If you go to her website at the bottom of the home page she addresses this. She says that "The Wreckimg Crew" is a name made up by Hal Blaine. She say the sometimes referred to themselves as "The Clique".

Here is a link to her website.

http://www.carolkaye.com/index.htm

Scroll to the bottom of the home page and you'll see a message from her.

I have read the book by Ken Hartman and I do want to see the documentary.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:26 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Is there any stated intent to release this on DVD/Bluray? I'm an inveterate film re-watcher and would prefer to invest in a hard copy.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-14-2015, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Is there any stated intent to release this on DVD/Bluray? I'm an inveterate film re-watcher and would prefer to invest in a hard copy.

Bob
Hi Bob - Yes, there will be DVD/Bluray coming out. This is one I'll watch again too.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaynor View Post
This movie was made years before Muscle Shoals, so therefore your insinuation of "movie twinning" is simply invalid, as pertaining to TWC being a wannabe coattail job.

Most people are indeed aware that there is a bandwagon effect for popular creations of any type, but in your post you impugned the horse, not the cart.
Read through the entire thread and you will see where my original post did as you said, but then I myself followed it with a post saying that TWC was first before MS.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 03-14-2015, 08:42 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
Hi Bob - Yes, there will be DVD/Bluray coming out. This is one I'll watch again too.
Thanks a boonch!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN