The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-07-2014, 01:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default All The Way To Memphis

Hi, Everybody,
Here we are in the early days of December, and in "luthier-time", the Memphis Acoustic Guitar Festival is just around the corner. As a veteran exhibitor at six of the (now sadly retired) Healdsburg guitar shows, I am well aware of how quickly the deadlines can sneak up on you. So this time, I decided to give myself a good head start, and try to get my show-guitars built well in advance of the usual eleventh hour, fifty-ninth minute scramble.

I've been meaning to start this thread for awhile now, featuring the guitars I'm building on spec, specifically for the Memphis show. But as usual, I've got lots of pots on the stove, some boiling over; and the "getting-around-tooit" has been elusive.
For the last couple of days, though, my whole family has been getting hammered by some mysterious respiratory ailment, which is sweeping through Birmingham and environs like a prairie fire. I guess it's nature's way of saying, slow down, chill out...
Seems like a good time to start this thread.

I've already completed my first Memphis guitar- an ECS Consort 000 Standard model, with Honduran Rosewood back and sides, a nice, silky Adirondack Spruce top, and highly figured Ziricote bindings, bridge, fingerboard, and front headstock plate. The neck is American Cherry, with a Honduran RW center lam and Maple veneer lines. I've had this guitar strung up for ten days now. Here are a few photos of it just before I started the lacquer finishing:

I selected this Honduran Rosewood for its gorgeous blistered-rust figure, and its mind-blowing sonic properties:

I didn't want to load this guitar up with a lot of bling. Better to let the extraordinary woods do the talking. Here's a shot of the Pogoda slotted headstock and fingerboard, done in Ziricote.

And a back view, with the same Honduran RW as the back and sides:

My primary intent with this guitar was to put the performance and sound at the top of the to-do list. I wanted it to be highly responsive to fingerstyle and plectrum, with lots of headroom, plenty of sustain, volume, and colorful tone. Honduran Rosewood and Adirondack Spruce are a great combination for that.
Well, what can I say- Mission Accomplished!

I would like to add, since I got this guitar done six months ahead of deadline, I would be willing to put it up for adoption to a good home. I still have time to make another one to fill this slot. This guitar sounds like a million bucks, right from the get-go; and considering the fact that Adirondack spruce has a typical long, steady process of tonal maturation, the current temple-bell tone is only going to improve over time.
More soon- Thanks for looking!
Old 12-07-2014, 02:25 PM

Default All The Way To Memphis

So happy to see another thread of your lovely guitars! Can't wait to see what you have in store for us next!!!!!
Hope you and your family feel better soon, respiratory illnesses are no joke.
Old 12-07-2014, 02:39 PM

Beautiful guitar! I too have been struggling with a respiratory infection of some kind and it's no fun! Especially when you have to go to work with dust and chemicals while trying to recover. Not a good combination. I hope you recover soon and get back to 100%. I look forward to playing this guitar in Memphis.
Old 12-07-2014, 02:50 PM
Humanist

As my old Dad used to say, "Now we're cookin' with gas..."
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 12-07-2014, 03:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

#1 - Get well. This is the time of year when luthiers can work inside the shop for long hours and not have a worry as long as they feel like working.

#2 - Your guitar is pretty. Like you, I am so excited about the Memphis guitar show. I will enjoy seeing your guitars in person.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:17 PM

Lovely looking guitar Steve... that Honduran Rosewood is great. I've played a couple of guitars with this tonewood and loved them. Cheers, berf
Old 12-07-2014, 04:43 PM

Gorgeous guitar! I'm particularly smitten by the ziricote fingerboard/headstock plate combo - perfect match!
Old 12-07-2014, 10:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

So good! Nice as usual Steve.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 12-07-2014, 11:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

Ryan- hope you're feeling better real soon, man. Thanks for your good wishes.
I took a tour around your website this afternoon, and I gotta say, I'm your newest fan. I love your modern, elegant aesthetics, and your highly evolved design sense. Very impressive! All respect!

Mary- Thank you for your sweet words. I really think Bob Singer is going to have a raging success with the first Memphis show. He's doing a great job, and he seems to attract Grace. And I will be very happy to see Clan McKnight there, with a table arrayed with those matchless McKnight guitars. See you all then!

Larry- Hey man, glad to hear you're deep into the music with those two new Fays. I love the story- it's like a triad of soulmates.
And in my experience, the gas usually comes about a half hour after the cooking is done.

Thanks everybody for looking at this thread. Here's a sneak peek at the next Memphis-bound guitar, right after I closed up the box. It's an Element style Performance Florentine, with rare beeswing/flame figured Katalox (aka Mexican Royal Ebony) B&S, and a bearclaw Sitka top. The bindings and trim will be Malaysian Blackwood and flamed Pyinma. I'm pulling out all the stops on this build.

This is an Element Asym series rosette. Flamed Pyinma rings, Malay Blackwood, spalted Maple, and copper. This is my favorite style of rosette to make.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:02 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
Gorgeous guitar! I'm particularly smitten by the ziricote fingerboard/headstock plate combo - perfect match!
Yeah, I figure since Honduran rosewood and Ziricote are geographic neighbors, they would play well together. I love this combination, and will definitely use it again. I'm thinking, Ziricote back and sides, and some of this blistered rust figured Honduran RW for bindings and trim... Hmmm. So many possibilities...
Old 12-07-2014, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
[/URL]
Holy Smokes! that's some serious Bearclaw... I'm betting that thing is gonna look crazy under finish.
Edwinson EPS "iCrucified" [2011]
Edwinson Consort "Spirit" [2016]
THGCo. 000-Concert "Chi Rho" [2019]
Taylor 514e FLTD [2013]
Taylor 714e [2016]
Martin OM-21 Ambertone [2017]
Old 12-08-2014, 10:18 AM

I love the details on the back of the peghead.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
Hi, Everybody,
Here we are in the early days of December, and in "luthier-time", the Memphis Acoustic Guitar Festival is just around the corner.
Ooooooh boy do I hear you! I'm feeling the pressure as well!

Great looking work, bud. Looking forward to seeing these beauties in person!

Brad
Old 12-11-2014, 12:54 PM

Very nice, Steve! I look forward to seeing these at the show!
Old 12-11-2014, 02:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hey, Joel! I'm really glad you will be at Memphis too. With your brilliantly artistic guitars. Same goes for you, Brad!
You know, I am just like all the obsessed guitar enthusiasts who come to these shows to see our work- I love to see what my colleagues are doing, and how the state of the art is progressing, in the hands of all these talented people- like you guys.
It's too bad Healdsburg is no more, but hopefully the Memphis show will be our new super-show, ongoing. Really looking forward to it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop