The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-17-2013, 09:30 AM

Thanks, Glenn! Healdsburg will definitely be a great time this year, as it always is! I'll surely take my Kostal to Matt's gathering if he schedules another on after the HGF.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:19 PM

Hi BillyBoy.....Just checking to see if you had any Kostal shots up yet. I think Jason must be doing the final set-up and we should have final shots very soon!!! I know you must be as excited as I am to finally get your hands on your guitar! I'm sure it will be worth the wait! Have you heard any more? I know Jason likes to play them a bit to make sure they are "just right" and that the trees are beginning to open up and really sing! As it is my first trip to Healdsburg, it should be an amazing experience.....I'm locking my credit cards in the safe just to be safe from myself!!
Old 08-03-2013, 09:44 PM

So, now we're coming to the middle of the story. The Healdsburg Guitar Festival is just around the corner, and Jason's building of my guitar is nearing completion.

You'll recall that I really liked the two-tone headstock of Michael Watts' guitar, and I asked Jason to craft a similar headstock for my guitar.

And, my good friend, Jason, knows how much I enjoy Italy. So, the tonewood absolutely had to be Italian Spruce...clean, evenly grained, silky Italian Spruce. You also get another look at Jason's wonderful rosette.

As I noted before, Jason and I have become good friends and we've had numerous wonderful chats together. We've talked about my having lost my daughter and the meaning of the dragonfly to me. Here's a bit of a different picture of the dragonfly Jason did for me. The listener would not see it, but as the player, it will always be close to me.

And, Jason knows I'm fond of Turquoise Southwestern Native American jewelry...

The wonderful top is prepared for the Brazilian bridge.

And, yes, I admit it -- I'm partial to FWI bridge pins

So, we've moved beyond the middle of the story and the end is in sight. Are you ready for the denouement?
Old 08-03-2013, 09:59 PM
Humanist

Simply superb...especially the personal touches...
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 08-03-2013, 10:09 PM

Very cool! The rosette is fantastic! Jason does amazing work.

Joel
Old 08-03-2013, 10:10 PM

Thanks, Larry! I look forward to showing this one to you when I'm back from Healdsburg. We just plain need to plan some time together.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:18 PM

Hi Bill,

The whole story is just beginning to get sweeter as the days go by. I am excited and happy for you. Can't wait to see the whole guitar and your smile when u pick it up.
2013 Martin 000-45ECM
2018 GS Mini Walnut
Kostal German/Braz

Gone to a better place:
1999 Applause guitar (Given away)
1997 Taylor 912ce Cindy
2005 Jeff Yong JJ Euro/Macassar
2006 Doerr Legacy German/Madagascar
2009 Simon Fay OM Redwood/Koa
Omega GC on order
2011 Collings OM2H
2013 Collings 0-42G
2003 Olson Cedar/IRW
Old 08-03-2013, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

Just plain amazing. Can't wait for HGF.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:58 PM

NICE!!! As per usually, another fantastic guitar from Jason's bench!! Really love the headstock and all of the special "touches" he's done for you. I'm excited to see the full back too, as the coloring in the BRW is amazing. I know the Dragonfly means a lot to you from our previous discussions so it's really cool that Jason built that little memory into this guitar.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:06 AM

NICE!!! As per usually, another fantastic guitar from Jason's bench!! Really love the headstock and all of the special "touches" he's done for you. I'm excited to see the full back too, as the coloring in the BRW is amazing. I know the Dragonfly means a lot to you from our previous discussions so it's really cool that Jason built that little memory into this guitar.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Stehr View Post
Very cool! The rosette is fantastic! Jason does amazing work.

Joel
Thanks, Joel! I really do like Jason's rosette. It's part of his brand. I'm looking forward to seeing your beauties at Healdsburg this year! See ya' soon!
Old 08-14-2013, 02:16 PM

And, now for the rest of the story.

Jason received the final shots of my MD the day before the Healdsburg Guitar Festival, and I had already left town to travel to Santa Rosa. So, here are the final shots of my new Kostal MD.

Of course, we have to start with a full frontal......I love Jason's MD shape and the fabulous rosette...

And, the amazing Brazilian Rosewood Jason helped me select...

You know about the dragonfly and its meaning to me. I love that whenever I play my Kostal, Hiliary will be close to my heart...of course, in reality she's never left my heart...thank you, Jason, for this thoughtful and kind gift on my MD...

I asked Jason to place a K&K mini in my MD, and he designed a marvelous end graft to go around the pick up...I can't wait to play her on my Humphrey Amp I ordered at the HGF...

And, Jason's beautiful headstock!

And, so we have it! But, let me share with you a little secret -- I LOVE my new Kostal MD. It sounds absolutley fantastic and is beautiful in every regard. But, there is a secret to this journey that makes it all the more lovely...and that is the friendship I've developed with Jason along the way. Material things may come and go, and if we're lucky, a few will stay with us for a long, long time to be handed down to other generations. But, a personal friendship is the most priceless gift of all, and I'm honored to call Jason a true friend!

Thank you, Jason, for making this build such an incredible journey. And, thank you for being my constant and reliable companion along the way. But, most of all, thank you for your ongoing friendship!
Old 08-14-2013, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Very cool Billy--well put! It was great meeting you at HGF and playing your wonderful new Kostal. I know that it will give you many years of pleasure as will your continual, ongoing friendship with Jason...
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 08-14-2013, 02:45 PM
Humanist

Where the heck is that confounded "like" button...!
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 08-14-2013, 07:22 PM

Your guitar and Bella's MDs are amazing...Jason is not only an exceptional builder...but is a super nice genuine guy that is so honest and passionate....and I look forward to getting mine...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop