The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 06-29-2018, 08:14 AM

Default Saw Jimmy Buffett & Eagles Last Night

GREAT. Normally I wouldn't post about a concert but if they come to your area - go. Jimmy with the Coral Reefer Band led by Mac McAnally was their usual great fun with precision and frivolity. Now in his 70's Jimmy was excellent. However, when the Eagles came on, it was a return to greatness.

String slingers, Joe Walsh, Timmothy B. Schmidt, Don Henley (Henley plays guitar on many songs with their long-time percussionist on the kit) and Steuart Smith were joined on the tour with Vince Gill and Glenn Frey's son Deacon. Deacon looks like a doppelgänger of his father at that age. He sang several of Glenn's songs and sounded extremely similar to his dad. Guitar licks were solid but not at his dad's level at that age (24). However, spending time with Walsh, Smith and Gill that will improve quickly.

Vince Gill was the long-awaited addition to the band that not only made perfect sense but added to the virtuosity of the band, obviously not only on guitar but lead and backing vocals as well. Tim lead several songs on vocals as did Henley, Frey and Walsh and Vince was..........Vince. Vince even did one of his country (Eagle's sounding) hits.

The surprise was how many Walsh-led James Gang hits (all of them) were played during the second half of the show. This included Rocky Mountain High during the multi-song encore. When he got ready for Life's Been Good and went through his "Joe Walsh vocalizations" and announced "Now I'm warmed up"......... he wasn't kidding. It was the wild-man of old, only sober. All in all, if you lived through the 70's & 80's this was the sound track and they played live as well, or better, than any studio produced music they ever made. They are as strong as at any time in their 47-year history. I would love to see them, with Gill on the roster, create and release some newly penned material.

If you get the opportunity to see them on their relatively limited tour, I highly recommend going.

Last edited by DenverSteve; 06-29-2018 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:33 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Thanks for the review!!! I've seen Joe solo twice since he was sober and it was more fun than a barrel of monkeys! The last time he had old chum Joe Vitale and Waddy Wachtel with him.

That one cost me a handful of money because I had to go out and get a Leslie after hearing his.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-29-2018, 09:03 AM

They opened with all guitars up front and the drummer, Scott Crago, with Seven Bridges Road. Performed for 2 hours and went off for their encores. Then ended again with all guitars up front closing with Desperado. It was nothing short of magic if you were around for the original releases or are an Eagle's fan. Obviously both songs are Eagles mainstays and the 6 guys on perfect harmony was awesome.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:57 AM

Are you kidding me.?? Joe Walsh AND Vince Gill. OMGosh. That had to have been crazy good.

I don't do concerts anymore but that would be a great one to see.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

My friend Milo Deering is touring with The Eagles playing mostly fiddle and pedal steel. He is an amazing talent, who toured with Lee Ann Rymes in her early days, and now is a studio musician on a lot of songs. He has long hair past his shoulders, and sometimes wears a large hat, making it hard to see his face.

He is featured on pedal steel on Henley's Country album he put out a year or 2 ago, and plays fiddle , guitar, mandolin, or whatever else Don needs.

His daughter, Scarlett Deering has cut a cd as well, and got to do several weeks with the Eagles as well, as a second fiddle player to her dad. I saw her CD release show, and she had some nerves with the home crowd. Performing in front of 70,000 people with the Eagles should help that.

We have an Open Mic night at my country club each year, and we hire Milo to play some real music behind us. He always adds just the right amount of fiddle, pedal or guitar.

Going to see John Prine tonight, sitting first row at a great Opera House.

1973 Guild D40 6 string.

1995 Olson SJ
Old 06-29-2018, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

So glad to hear this! I felt a little conflicted when Joe joined the Eagles, when Nils joined the Boss and most recently when Vince joined. I understand it is nice not to have to be the leader all the time, but I really love their solo stuff and seeing them all on their own in concert. Obviously Vince doesn't need the money, and has such a wonderful career he must have felt strongly about it. I'm glad it seems to be working!

Great report, thanks for sharing.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:12 AM

They started the tour here and we walked after seeing the outrageous ticket prices. I’m sure it is a good show but, it’s not the Eagles. It’s like a Beatles reunion without John Lennon.

I saw the Eagles last tour with Fry and I’ll just keep that memory.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:53 AM

I love the Eagles... Pretty much the sound track of my younger years prolly my all-time favorite band. I saw them a couple of times back in the 70s . I wished I could have seen them before Glen passed. But looking forward to seeing the new line up.
And I have been a parrot head before there were parrot heads lol.. Buffets shows are always a blast
Sounds like a great evening....I'm jealous
2017 Washburn Revival 1939 Solo Deluxe reissue (S EIR sunburst) (Amber)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2008 S style (Blue)
2018 T style (Pearl)
2019 Fender Mustang II V2
Old 06-29-2018, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

I was there too. A couple of thoughts:

1) The first time I saw them back in '75 or so they closed with "Seven Bridges Road," joined by opener Dan Fogelberg and they all played acoustic guitars (except for Randy Meisner, of course). That was one of the best things my ears have ever witnessed.

Last night they OPENED with "SBR." Also very good, brought the memories back.

2) I'm not a big Gibson guy, buy Vince Gill absolutely ripped it up on a Les Paul while doing one of his own numbers. Dynamite tone, one of the highlights of the night for me. Denver Steve, would you agree?

3) I've never seen Jimmy Buffett before, and he spent the evening with a bemused grin on his face as if to say "why are all these Parrotheads here to see me for the 17th time? And can I afford a new Gulfstream yet?"

He started out a bit slow but warmed up quickly and put on a great show. And despite have 4 guitar slingers on stage with with him, he worked hard on his own guitar and played quite well; I could hear him in the mix. He could easily do a solo show. I was impressed!

It was a real good show on a hot night. I was told that the 105* temperature that day was a new all-time record for Denver.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:40 PM

Thanks for the good review, I have tiks to see them in July.
I chuckled with glee when I heard Vince Gill would be on the tour. Shoot, I'll always remember him as the lead singer for Pure Prairie League after Craig Fuller left. First time I saw the Eagles, was back in the 70's, when they were more country influenced with Bernie Leadon, Randy Meisner, and Don Felder; my favorite lineup.
'17 Martin D-28
'18 Martin D-18
'21 Yamaha FS830
Old 06-29-2018, 04:07 PM

Back in 1975 or 77, can’t remember which, Buffett opened up for the Eagles in Binghamton, NY. Lot smaller venue, same great music!
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha AC1M
Yamaha FSX800C
Old 06-29-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
... Vince Gill absolutely ripped it up on a Les Paul while doing one of his own numbers. Dynamite tone, one of the highlights of the night for me. Denver Steve, would you agree?...
Yep. Vince is a highlight whenever he takes the stage. The way they shared the limelight as well as the way they worked together was impressive. I don't believe there was any hint of a weak-link among them. They are all at peak performance level. They were indeed "The Eagles". Even without Glenn there is still Frey blood flowing on the stage.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:59 AM

I saw Jimmy Buffet open for the Eagles back when no one knew who he was - 1977 - in Montreal.
Unfortunately, Hotel California had just came out, so the Eagles show was ALL Eagles tunes. The year before, I'd seen the Eagles right after Walsh joined them and they did a bunch of his/James gangs songs.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-07-2018, 10:10 AM

I saw them a few months ago in Seattle with The Doobie Brothers opening.
Oh my, was that a show to remember!!

I'd seen the Doobies in the 70's, Eagles during Hell Freezes era, Vince twice in Nashville,
and Joe with his two drummer solo act a few years ago.
He is such a character.
What a guy!
And speaking of such--

An all-time highlight was seeing the Eagles in the 90's,
when the next day the Tacoma Tribune Newspaper wrote:

"Last night in the Tacoma Dome, we were graced with the presence of Mr Joe Walsh,
and his back-up band...the uh, uh... oh yeah, The Eagles."

As good as they were, Joe stole the show.
The place just went nuts.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN